Methodist Episcopal - The Methodist society of Schellsburg is an old organization, but there are no records of its beginning. A house of worship was erected as early as 1840. About 1857, the society purchased from the United Brethren the house where they now worship. The earliest record is dated 1852, and Rev. J. Montgomery was then on the circuit. The present membership is forty-eight.
The New Paris Methodist church was built at a cost of about one thousand four hundred dollars. It was finished in 1882, under the pastorate of Rev. S. A. Crevling, and dedicated on July 16. A class, organized several years before, which met at the Hull (Free-will Baptist) church, became merged with the New Paris congregation when the church was built. The church is a part of Schellsburg circuit.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania, Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., p. 282 (Napier Twp.))
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project