The first church organization in the northwestern portion of Bedford county was the Greenfield congregation of the Reformed and the Lutherans. A log church was begun in 1814 and finished a year or two later. Both denominations continued to worship at this church until about twenty years ago (in 1884, making it 1864), when the Lutherans ceased to support preaching. The Reformed congregation still keeps a strong membership, and in 1875 erected a neat frame church in place of the old log building.
All the services for many years were conducted in the German language. The following is a list of the Reformed pastors who have served in this church from 1814 up to the present time (1884): Revs. John Henry Gerhart, __ Kintes, Frederick Rupley, Jeremiah Heller, N. E. Giltz, C. U. Heilman, W. D. Le Fevre, S. R. Breidenbaugh, H. F. Long and William L. Andrews.
The Reformed and Lutheran church at Imler crossroads was organized in 1868, under the ministry of Rev. C. U. Heilman, Reformed, and Rev. Peters, Lutheran. The church edifice was erected by the joint efforts of the same denominations in 1868. The Reformed congregation now numbers about one hundred members (in 1884), and is a part of the St. Clairsville charge. The Lutheran membership is a little less.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania, Waterman, Watkins and Co., 1884, p. 344.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project