A Methodist Episcopal church was organized in the southwestern part of King township about 1852, during the ministry of Revs. Spangler and McWilliams. The first class-leader was Michael Wertz, who served in that capacity a number of years. The class has always been small, and at present (1884) consists of about twenty members. There is a comfortable meeting-house, ample in size for the congregation.
The Lewistown Methodist Episcopal church was organized about the year 1872. Rev. Lewis Clark first preached in Stiffler’s shop, about one mile from the village. In 1873 a neat frame church building was erected at Lewistown at a cost of over two thousand dollars. The church is fairly prosperous, with a small membership.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, pp. 344-5.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project