The Methodist Episcopal church at Bakerís Summit was organized in 1874, under the labors of Rev. Castleman, with twelve members. A house of worship was erected the same year, and dedicated with a sermon by Rev. Kerns, of Altoona. The first trustees were: J. A. J. Williams, John Heltzell, Joseph Smeltzer, James Shade and Samuel Pryor. The value of the church is sixteen hundred dollars. It was sold to John Heltzell in 1881. The present membership is fifteen (in 1884). The church is on Martinsburg circuit.
(Source: History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 342.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project