History: Woodberry Brethren church, included in Bedford and Blair counties, has existed as a distinct organization since 1876. Morrison’s cove originally belonged to the Yellow creek church (which see). When organized, Woodberry church had two hundred and fifty members. The first meeting-house (in Bloomfield township) was built in 1850. There are now five meeting-houses and two hundred and eighty-eight members belonging to the church. Bishop, Jacob Miller; ministers, John Replogle, John L. Holsinger, M. M. Claar, J. G. Snider.
The meeting-house in Woodberry township was built in 1877, at a cost of thirty-three hundred dollars. The first building, known as the Eshelman church, was built about 1851.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., 1884, Waterman, Watkins & Co., pp. 300.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project