: As early as 1805 the Lutheran and German Reformed denominations maintained a regular organization. From the old church record we copy the following list of communicants present at a communion service held at Henry Lybargerís house in 1805, the pastor, Rev. Hanker, officiating: Jesse Walker, Henry, Daniel, Adam and Ludwig Lyberger, Joseph, Andrew and Jacob Wolford, Frederick Wolford, Sr., Frederick Fait, Peter Cupp, Christopher and Rachel Ball, Barbara Lybarger, Hannah Haines, Charlotte Wolford, Susannah Fait, Catharine Fait, Mary Beam, Mary Wagerman, Mary Crise, Catharine and Mary Wolford, Sarah Smith, Mary Fisher, Elizabeth Cupp, Mary Helmes.
The first adult person buried in the old cemetery of this church was Christopher Ball. Meetings were held principally at Henry Lybargerís house until about 1840, when a church was built on a lot given to the congregation by David and Catharine Moser. The deed for the lot was not given until 1845, but the records show that the church was used in 1840, during the pastorate of Rev. Charles Reese. The house was built by Adam Miller, and purchased by the congregation, both Lutheran and Reformed. The Reformed congregation gradually diminished, and ceased to exist during the late war. The Lutheran church is strong and flourishing.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 371.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project