History: St. Matthew’s Evangelical Lutheran church, Stonerstown, was organized in December, 1856, by Rev. Henry Sifert, the first pastor, with thirty-three members. The first church officers were John V. Besser, Henry Kensinger and George W. Gibbony.
The first Lutheran preacher in the place was Rev. Richards, under whom, in 1854, the erection of the church was begun. The building is of logs, boarded outside. It was completed in 1856 and dedicated by Rev. Henry Sifert, Lutheran, and Rev. Mr. Miller, Reformed. About 1858 the church was sold by the sheriff and purchased by the Methodists. Henry Zook purchased it from the latter denomination, and in turn sold it to the Lutherans in 1882. The Lutherans were without a pastor from 1858 to 1882. Rev. M. G. Boyer, the present pastor, was then installed. The church numbers thirty-two members (in 1884).
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 334.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project