History: The St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran congregation at Rayís cove was organized in 1858, by Rev. G. C. Probst, with twenty members. For list of pastors, see history of Everett congregation. The church (in 1884) now has fifty members. The first elders of the church were John Swartz and John Sleighter; trustees, John Rinard, Henry Colledge and Henry Swartz. The lot on which the church is built is an acre of ground given to the congregation by Capt. William Gracey. The house was finished in 1858, and dedicated by the pastor on the 7th of November. It cost over one thousand dollars.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 329.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project