History: In 1842 the first church in the township was erected by the Dry Ridge congregation of the Reformed and Lutheran churches. It was built of stone, and is still used as a place for worship (in 1884). There had been preaching in private dwellings for some years prior to the erection of the church. Rev. Druskiani was pastor at the time the church was built. John and Daniel Metzger, Frederick Hillegass, Abraham Otto, George Powell and John Alsop took a prominent part in building the church. The Reformed congregation has seventy-five members.
The early settlers enjoyed but few religious privileges. Many lived for years in the wilderness without hearing the gospel preached once. So scattered were the families that it was with difficulty that the missionaries who occasionally visited these parts could gather a congregation of hearers without great difficulty.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 369.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project