History: New Buena Vista congregation of the Reformed church was organized by Rev. Henry Heckerman in 1855. Original members: Michael Hillegass, Henry and Jacob Mowry, John Mowry, Sr., Conrad Guyger, Frederick Hillegass, Jacob F., George and Peter R. Hillegass, Lewis A. Turner. Michael Hillegass was elected deacon; Peter R. Hillegass and Conrad Guyger, deacons. For list of pastors, see Schellsburg church history. The congregation now numbers one hundred and twenty members (in 1884). The lot on which the church stands was deeded to the Methodist Episcopal congregation in 1849, and the house erected the same year. In 1855 the building was sold to the Reformed congregation for four hundred and ten dollars.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 369.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project