Reformed Church, Friendís Cove, Colerain Twp.

History: The Friendís cove congregation of the Reformed church is among the oldest organizations of that denomination in Bedford county. Rev. Henry Giesy moved from Loudoun county, Virginia, to Berlin, Somerset county, in 1794, and served as pastor of the churches of Bedford and Somerset county three or four years, and it was probably under his pastorate that the Friendís cove congregation was organized. The first church edifice erected was a commodious log structure, built where the brick church now stands, on a lot of ground purchased in 1798 by the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations. Rev. John Dietrick Aurandt was a missionary in 1809, who visited this church about once in three months. Rev. Henry Gerhart became pastor in 1812, and during his ministry of over seventeen years was punctual and zealous in the performance of his duties and greatly built up the church. The primitive log building gave place in 1832-3 to the large brick church now standing, which was a costly structure, for those days. Rev. Solomon K. Denius was pastor from 1833-5. From the organization until the time of Denius the church had been part of Bedford charge. Rev. George Leidy succeeded Denius, and during his pastorate of eight years the church was connected with the Schellsburg charge. Rev. Matthew Irvine, a very able and popular minister, was pastor from 1843-56. Under him the charge consisted of Bloody Run, Clear Ridge and Yellow Creek. The first mention of church officers occurs in 1846, when Solomon Diehl was elder, and Philip Harclerode, Emanuel J. Diehl and Adam Diehl, deacons. The pastors succeeding Irvine have been: Rev. Charles F. Hoffmeirer, 1856-62; Rev. William M. Deatrick, 1863-75; Rev. D. M. Whitmore, 1875-82. Before the congregation was divided it comprised over four hundred members. The present (1884) membership is at least two hundred and fifty.

(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 357-8.)

Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)

Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:

These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to Bedford County Church Page

 

 

Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project

 (c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project