History: Red Plains Christian church was organized in March, 1878, by Rev. J. N. McDaniel and Rev. B. A. Cooper. There were twenty-eight original members, and the present (1884) membership is about the same. This organization meets at Grange Hall. The pastors are Revs. Cooper and Garland.
[Rev. B. A. Cooper, whose long services in behalf of the Christian churches of this county entitle him to special mention, is a son of Nicholas Cooper, who settled in this township, and a descendant of a pioneer Irish settler of Fulton county. Mr. Cooper was licensed to preach in 1845, and ordained in 1847, and has since devoted himself to the interest of the Christian churches in Bedford and Fulton counties. He now (in 1884) has ten preaching appointments, involving a very large amount of work. Mr. Cooper and two of his sons were in the army. One son died at Fredericksburg.]
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 329-30.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project