: The Evangelical Lutheran congregation at this place was organized in 1835, and for many years worshiped in the old-fashioned frame church which is still standing in the old graveyard. Rev. Solomon Ritz, a preacher of power and eloquence, labored here some years. In 1842 the congregation was placed on the Bloody Run (Everett) charge, and has since continued a part of the same. The first record we have of church officers is dated 1843. In that year, Christian Felten, Sr., was elected elder, and Henry Whilt, deacon. J. S. Sparks, elder, and Simeon Nycum, deacon, were the next officers elected. In 1844, Christian Felten, Jr., was elected elder in place of his father, and H. Whilt was re-elected deacon. The congregation is prosperous. Membership of the church, seventy (in 1884); sabbath school, forty-five. The new brick church, erected in 1856, is a substantial and beautiful edifice, ample in size for the congregation.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 329.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project