History: The Rainsburg Methodist Episcopal church was organized about 1847 by Jacob Hartman, a local preacher, who held a series of successful revival meetings in the schoolhouse in the village. In 1849 a stone church was erected, at a cost of about six hundred dollars, Samuel Williams being the largest subscriber toward the building, and giving the lot on which it was built. The brick church, an elegant and costly building, was erected in 1878, at a cost of four thousand dollars. It was dedicated on the 15th of December, 1878; sermon by Dr. Persing, of Pittsburgh. The church is a part of Bedford circuit. Its membership is strong, though not large numerically (in 1884).
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 358.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project