History: Providence Evangelical Lutheran church was organized in 1837. In that year George Boortz deeded to the church a lot of land to be used as a church site. In 1841, under the ministerial labors of Rev. Kalor, a stone church, 35x45 feet, was erected at a cost of nine hundred dollars. The first church officers were: Valentine Weirick and George Boortz, elders; Arthur Rose and Jacob Miller, deacons. These officers were installed by Rev. R Weiser. The congregation consisted of seventy-five members in 1841. The church belonged to the Bloody Run charge for a number of years. It is now in the Friendís Cove charge. In 1871 the stone church was town down and a frame building erected in its place. The new church is 35x45 feet, and cost fourteen hundred dollars. The present membership of the church is twenty-nine, and of the sabbath school, thirty (in 1884).
(Source: History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 382.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project