History: There were a few Presbyterian families among the early settlers of this locality. For many years the Presbyterians were supplied with occasional preaching, generally by the pastors of the Bedford church. In 1866 Rev. A. V. C. Schenck began preaching regularly in Everett. On May 5, 1874, a congregation was regularly organized by Rev. R. F. Wilson and Rev. J. F. Boal, a committee of the Huntingdon presbytery. S. P. Wishart and W. W. Sparks were elected elders; J. M. Barndollar and L. M. Piper, deacons. The congregation at present consists of eighteen members (in 1884). The pastors have been Revs. Robert F. Wilson, 1874-8; John R. Henderson, 1878-81; Herbert D. Cone, 1881-3. The stone church erected by the Lutherans and Presbyterians in 1842-3, is now occupied by the Presbyterians. It was renovated and much improved in 1883, and has cost, up to date (1884), one thousand dollars.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 319.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project