Mount Zion Reformed and Lutheran church, Pavia, was regularly organized in 1850. Rev. Christian Winebrenner, Reformed, was the first minister. Beginning in 1833, he preached about ten years. After he resigned there were supplies until 1850. The regular pastors have been Revs. J. Heller, N. E. Gilds, C. U. Heilman, W. D. LeFevre, S. R. Breidenbaugh, H. F. Long and W. L. Andrews, the latter being now in charge The first house, a log building, was erected as a church and schoolhouse in 1855, at a cost of about six hundred dollars. The membership of the Reformed congregation is upward of one hundred and twenty-five (in 1884). The Lutherans still have an interest in the church, but are without a pastor.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 353.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project