History: The Evangelical Lutheran church at Mount Pleasant was organized in 1857, by Rev. G. C. Probst, who has served as pastor ever since. The church edifice was built in 1857, and dedicated in August of that year. The congregation, organized with sixty members, now (in 1884) has about seventy-five members. The church was separated from the Ray’s Hill and Ray’s Cove charge in 1867.
Mr. Probst has labored long and faithfully in behalf of the Lutheran churches of this county. He now preaches at Mount Pleasant, at Clearville, and at the old log church, four miles from Clearville. Mr. Probst is a native of Germany; was brought up in Frederick county, Maryland; educated at Gettysburg Theological Seminary, and began his pastoral labors at Everett in 1857.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 329.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project