The Methodist society of Saxton has been in existence since about 1858, holding meetings in the Lutheran church at Stonerstown, which the society owned until recently. The new church at Saxton was completed in 1881 at a cost of four thousand dollars. It is 36x60 feet, well built and well furnished. The membership of the church is eighty; sabbath school, ninety. The Saxton circuit is now (1884) in charge of Revs. M. C. Piper and J. K. Lloyd. The trustees of Saxton church are: W. Barkla, E. Eichelberger and T. M. Barr, J. Carrothers, S. V. Rodkey and G. E. Taylor. Class-leaders: E. Eichelberger and T. M. Barr.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 334.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project