History: Lutheran. The first preaching of this denomination was by Rev. Ruthroff, of the Schellsburg charge, in 1848-9, when services were held in a schoolhouse near Pleasantville. In 1852, under the pastorate of Rev. Kopp, a congregation was organized with thirteen members, and a church, 30x40 feet, erected. The house cost seven hundred dollars. The first church officers were: Conrad Ickes and N. H. Wright, elders; John Leighty and J. H. Wright, deacons. The present (1884) membership of the church is sixty-five, and of the sabbath school, one hundred and ten. The church belongs to the Schellsburg charge. The sabbath school was organized, in 1852, with forty scholars. N. H. Wright, the first superintendent, held the position seventeen years. Since 1872, Adam Ickes has filled the office.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., 1884, Waterman, Watkins & Co., pp. 295.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project