Evangelical Lutheran Church, Everett

History: The Evangelical Lutheran church of Everett was organized September 25, 1842. The male members of the congregation at this time were Henry and Joseph S. Messersmith, Solomon and Philip Holler, Samuel Stoutnour, George Herring, Michael Smouse, and Peter and Daniel Weaverling. It was decided to build a church in conjunction with the Presbyterians, and the following were chosen a building committee: Henry Messersmith, Solomon Holler, Matthew Peebles, Jacob Ebert and George Richey, of whom only Messersmith and Holler were Lutherans.

The corner-stone of the stone church was laid on August 6, 1842. This congregation was then under the pastoral care of Rev. R. Weiser, now of Colorado (1884). The first officers of the church were S. Holler and H. Messersmith, elders, and G. Herring and D. Stoutnour, deacons.

Rev. A. Height, who assisted Rev. Weiser in his labors, was licensed by the Allegheny synod, June 3, 1843, and thenceforth had charge of this congregation and of the others belonging to the charge. The new church was dedicated October 29, 1843, Rev. R. Weiser preaching the sermon on that occasion. March 30, 1845, Rev. Height preached his farewell sermon. The succeeding pastors have been as follows: Revs. J. Fishburn, 1846; F. A. Barnitz, 1849; Wm. B. Bachtell, 1852; G. C. Probst, 1857; Philip Doerr, 1868; M. Graybill, 1870; John Brubaker, 1875; Wm. S. Freas, 1877. The present (1884) pastor, Rev. G. M. Rhodes, took charge February 22, 1880. Under the care of Rev. G. C. Probst the church was highly prosperous. His labors continued for ten years. During that time the present house of worship, a large and convenient edifice, two stories high and built of brick, was erected.

Everett congregation numbers one hundred and ten members, and the sabbath school has a membership of one hundred (in 1884). Ray’s Hill, Cedar Grove and Ray’s Cove congregation belong to this charge.

(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 319.)

Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)

Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:

These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to Bedford County Church Page




Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project

 (c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project