: The German Baptists began holding meetings in St. Clair township about 1841, under the preaching of Levi Roberts and Peter Lutz, of Johstown. In 1842-3 a log church, 26x32 feet, was erected at a cost of five hundred dollars. It is still used by the congregation (in 1884). The bishops of this church have been: George M. Holsinger, 1841-62; Moses Rogers and John S. Holsinger, the latter being now in charge (in 1884). The present ministers are Gideon Rogers and John B. Miller. In 1870, a second meeting-house was erected in West St. Clair township, at a cost of fifteen hundred dollars. These branches form the Dunning’s Creek church, which was organized in 1871, with a membership of fifty. The church now (1884) has ninety members, and sixty sabbath-school scholars.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., 1884, Waterman, Watkins & Co., pp. 295.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project