: The cove appointment of the Methodist Protestant church was taken up by the Rev. Nicholas Dorsey in 1837. The old log church known as the “Union meeting-house,” built on land given by William Cessna, was the meeting place for many years, and in this old church many happy scenes were witnessed and many anxious hearts found the peace which they sought. In 1842, under the pastorate of Rev. Richard Adkinson, the house was enlarged and improved. Here the society worshiped until 1870, when, under Rev. George D. Edmunston, the new brick church was built at a cost of two thousand six hundred dollars. The lot on which the church stands was given by Mrs. Rebecca Shaeffer. The house was dedicated by Rev. J. J. Murray, D. D., and Rev. Henry Nice. Membership in 1883, about thirty-five.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 358-9.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project