History: The first Union church, a log building, was erected in 1814. There was no floor and no door in the house at the time the first funeral ceremony was held. The congregation crept in under the sleepers, and sat on the sills during the service.
The Lutheran, Christian, Reformed and German Baptist denominations built a union church at Clearville, which was dedicated in the fall of 1881. The Lutherans and Christians each have an organization and regular preaching here (in 1884).
(Source: History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 388.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project