History: Rev. Thomas Leakins preached at the house of Joseph Powell about 1838, and was the first preacher in that neighborhood. Subsequently meetings were held at the Adams schoolhouse until 1860, when the present church edifice was erected, at a cost of about one thousand dollars. The building committee were: Barnard O’Neal, Jared Hanks and Jason Hanks. The first trustees were: Jason Hanks, Nathan Evans and Owen Ash. The church was organized with nine members. The present membership is sixty. It belongs to the Cumberland circuit.
(Source: History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 377-8.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project