: The Yellow Creek congregation of the Brethren church was organized with a small membership as early as 1796. There have been regularly conducted religious services by this denomination ever since this part of the country was settled, the early pioneers being largely of the Brethren faith. The first bishop in Morrison’s cove, so far as known, was John Martin, who located in the present county of Blair before the revolutionary war. Daniel Paul was another of the early bishops in the cove. In the south end of the cove, Bishop Oberholtzer is supposed to have been the first preacher. He was succeeded by Samuel Uhlrich prior to 1876. The succeeding bishops have been as follows: John Holsinger, Sr., 1825-49; John M. Holsinger, 1845-71; Jacob Miller, 1870, the present bishop (in 1884). The first meeting-house in the Yellow Creek district was built in 1839. The congregation now has four meeting-houses and a total membership of three hundred. The present (1884) ministers are: David Straley, R. Z. Replogle, C. L. Buck and J. C. Replogle.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1884, p. 307.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project