Alum Bank United Methodist Church--Alum Bank (see Horne United Methodist Church); Alum Bank RD #1, 1/4 mile off Rt. 56 toward Camp Pleasant; Methodist Episcopal Church. 208 Locust St., Alum Bank, Pa. 15521 (West St. Clair Twp.)-- “There has been Methodist preaching in this township almost from the earliest settlement. One of the pioneer preachers was Rev. Wilson Lee. In 1800, Presiding Elder Christopher Spry preached here on the Huntingdon circuit. Revs. Gideon Draper and N. B. Mills were also early preachers. The church-building near Pleasantville was built in 1852. Its size is 30x40 feet. The building committee were Samuel Clark, John Chillcote and George Carrel. The congregation belongs to Pleasantville circuit. The present membership of the church (1884) is fifty-five, and of the sabbath school one hundred and four.”
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pa., Waterman, Watkins & Co., p. 294.)
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project