Free-Will Baptist.- The Free-Will Baptist church in the Hull neighborhood was organized June 12, 1828, by Rev. Williams, and then consisted of about forty members. In 1831 a house of worship was completed, and dedicated with services by Revs. Williams and Jordan. The first trustees of the church were Benjamin Hull, James Allison and John Rowser. Rev. David P. Low, the first pastor, was ordained in 1831. He was succeeded by Revs. Edward Jordan, Samuel G. Smutz, Patrick Reardon, Henry Cook, Sisson and others, Rev. Sisson being the last pastor. The church is now without regular preaching.
The first church building was burned by an incendiary in 1862. In 1866 the present edifice was erected, and in 1877 it was dedicated by Revs. Edward Jordan and A. F. Bryant.
The first interments in the graveyard adjoining the church were the bodies of two of Rev. D. P. Low's children. Two of Samuel Garrison's children were buried here soon after.
(Source: The History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Pennsylvania, Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., p. 282 (Napier Twp.))
Contributed for use by the Bedford County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~bedford/)
Bedford County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Bedford County Church Page
Return to Bedford County Genealogy Project
(c) Bedford County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project