The present township of Red Bank contains only about one sixth or one seventh of the territory included within its former limits. All of Red Bank, Mahoning, and a part of Madison Townships in Armstrong and all of Red Bank, Porter, Monroe, Mill Creek, Clarion and Limestone Townships in Clarion County were included in the original township of Red Bank. The first settlers were Yost Smith in 1807 near "Old Town" and Peter Stone in 1815. The first grist mill was put in operation in 1836 by Adam Beck. Phoenix Furnace was build in 1846, McCrea Furnace in 1857. In 1827, Tobias Shick settled on a tract of land on which was laid out the town of New Salem in 1850. North Freedom was settled in 1833 by Isaac Redinger. The first log school house in the township was on Red Bank Creek near the present town of Oak Ridge and was built in 1828. The first census taken after Red Bank Township was reduced to its present area by the organization of other townships was that of 1860, showing 1,304 persons. The number of taxables in 1876 was 376, representing a population of 1,729.
Return to Red Bank Township Home Page
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project