Set off from Plum Creek in 1821 - Named in Honor of �Mad Anthony� - The Original Land Tracts - Their Early Owners and the Settlers Upon Them - The North American Land Company - Gen. Robert Orr Succeeds the Company in Ownership of Their Lands in Armstrong County - Holland Land Company�s Tracts _ John Brodhead�s Survey District - William and Joseph Marshall - James Shields - A Sparsely Settled Region - Slow Increase in Population - Religious History - First Sermon - Rev. Robert McGarraugh, the Pioneer of Presbyterianism - Educational Interests - Pioneer Schools - Later Advantages - Belknap Independent District - Glad Run Academy - Its Graduates - First Gristmill - Distilleries - Olney Furnace - Iron Foundry - The First Professional Men - Postoffices - Borough of Dayton - Churches - Dayton Academy - Soldiers� Orphans� School -Common Schools - Incorporation - Statistics - Appropriateness of the Name
The petition of sundry inhabitants of Plum Creek township, praying for its division, was presented to the court of quarter sessions of this county at September sessions, 1820. James White (surveyor), Abraham Zimmerman, Jacob Beck, Noah A. Calhoun, Joseph Marshall and John Thom were appointed the viewers or commissioners. Their report in favor of the division was presented at the next December sessions, held over, and approved March 19, 1821. The new township of Wayne was then ordered and decreed to be erected with the following boundaries: Beginning on Mahoning creek at the lower end of Anderson�s cave; thence south five miles to a white oak; thence south ten degrees east four miles to the purchase line; thence by plot along said line to the line between Indiana and Armstrong counties; thence by plot along said line to Mahoning creek; and thence down the same to the place of beginning. It having been at the same time represented to the court that the viewers had gone beyond the western line of Plum Creek township and included a part of Kittanning township, it was further ordered, �that the new township of Wayne be bounded by that of Kittanning.�
The records do not show who was appointed to hold the first election. In the absence of the docket containing the election returns of the various election districts in this county prior to 1839, the names of the township officers then elected have not been ascertained.
This township was christened, of course, in honor of General Anthony Wayne, of fragrant revolutionary memory. His illustrious career is so familiar to the people, and especially to Pennsylvanians, that a minute and extended mention of his impetuous valor, unwavering fidelity and patriotism, military genius and ability would here be superfluous.
The original tracts of land in the eastern section of this township, that is, east of an imaginary line extending from north to south, crossing Glade run about 275 rods above its mouth, were the following:
Two tracts, warrants No. 5146 and 5147, each containing 1,100 acres, surveyed to Thomas W. Hiltzheimer, on those warrants, dated February 6, 1794, which Hiltzheimer conveyed to Gen. Daniel Brodhead, December 29, 1795. The latter, by his will, dated August 8, 1809, devised the same to the children of his daughter, Anna Heiner, namely John Heiner, of Jefferson county, Virginia; Catherine, wife of John Brodhead, of Wayne county, Pennsylvania; Margaret, wife of John Faulk, of the last-mentioned county, and Rebecca J., wife of Samuel Johnston, of Sussex county, New Jersey. Faulk and wife, December 1, 1814, Heiner and wife, August 29, 1815, and Brodhead and wife, July 14, 1817, conveyed their respective undivided one-fourth parts of those two tracts to Robert Brown, of Kittanning. Brodhead and Johnston and their wives conveyed 100 acres of tract surveyed on warrant No. 5147, to Brown, May 30, 1816, for $20. A considerable portion of the consideration from that vendee to those vendors consisted of lots in the then town, now borough, of Kittanning. Johnston and wife conveyed 100 acres of the southern end of this tract surveyed on warrant No. 5146, to James Kirkpatrick, and on February 4, 1819, the undivided one-half, part of the residue of this last-mentioned tract for $500, all of which, except $47.74, was paid in Johnston�s lifetime, and the balance to his widow, who, by Daniel Stannard, her attorney in fact, executed a second conveyance, January 17, 1828. From a list of taxes on Gen. Brodhead�s lands in this county, for the years 1806-7-8, obtained by the writer from Edgar A. Brodhead, it appears that those two tracts, then in Kittanning township, were assessed with $8.26 road tax, and $16.50 county tax in each of the years 1806-7, and with $7.50 road tax and $8.26 county, in 1808. John Rutherford seated 200 acres, and Jacob Peelor 300 acres of tract No. 5146, and Joseph Marshall, Jr., 114, James Kirkpatrick, 200, John Calhoun, 144, James McGahey, 50, Abel Findley, 100, and James Russell, 130 acres of tract No. 5147.
In the southeastern corner of the township is a portion of the Harmon Le Roy & Co�s [sic] tract No. 3095, extending into Cowanshannock township and Indiana county, which will be elsewhere more particularly mentioned.
North of the last-mentioned tract were the two contiguous tracts surveyed by warrants Nos. 558 and 553, the former of which contained 400 and the latter 474 acres. They were surveyed to Ephraim Blaine on those warrants. The latter was seated by Robert Marshall. Fifty acres of the former were occupied by Thomas Duke, from 1830 until 1840, and by William Kinnan for several years. Blaine was a resident of Carlisle, Pennsylvania in the earlier years of the revolutionary war. In the spring of 1777 the appointment of sub-lieutenant of Cumberland county was tendered to him, which he declined for these reasons, given in his letter of April 7, to President Wharton: �The difference of sentiment which prevails in Cumberland county about the constitution and the ill-judged appointment of part of the sub-lieutenants are my principal reasons for not accepting for the present the commission your honor and the council were pleased to offer me of the lieutenancy. I shall, however, study to render the public every service in my power.� He was afterward appointed deputy commissary general for the middle department. In February or March, 1780, he was appointed commissary general, which position he probably filled until the close of the war. His name appears in the list of the names of men residing at Fort Pitt, July 22, 1760. He was the great-grandfather of James G. Blaine, the distinguished Untied States Senator from Maine - a native of Pennsylvania.Those two Blaine tracts extended from the above-mentioned Harmon Le Roy & Co.�s tract, along the Indiana county line, 325 rods; thence northwest 200 rods, thence west 200 rods, thence south 475 rods, and thence east 325 rods. Glade run traverses the territory of which the northern or larger of these tracts consisted, in a westerly and northwesterly course.
Adjoining the last-mentioned tract on the west was the James Hamilton tract, covered by warrant No. 358, containing 400 acres. It was surveyed to James Hamilton, of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on that warrant. The patent was granted to his son James, March 3, 1832, It was conveyed to James Hamilton, of Jefferson county, Pennsylvania, August 6, 1834, who conveyed 131 3/10 acres of it to William Borland, June 18, 1836, for $492.37 �, which then adjoined lands of William Kirkpatrick, John Borland, William Cochran, James Marshall, John Calhoun and Noah A. Calhoun.
Adjoining that tract on the north was the Timothy Pickering & Co, tract, covered by warrant No. 262, dated May 17, 1785. There being some notable points on this tract, some of its various transfers are here presented. It was a part of Gen. James Potter�s estate, which became vested in his son, James Potter, who covenanted, May 9, 1795, to convey it as containing 1,000 acres to Ephraim Blaine, His heirs, believing that he had made a deed therefor which was lost, for the purpose of confirming and ratifying their father�s agreement, executed, March 20, 1837, a deed to John Hays and Rev. Adam Gilchrist, whose wives were daughters of Robert Blaine and granddaughters of Ephraim Blaine, who were desirous of obtaining a patent and perfect title. The tract was found to contain 1,099 acres. Ephraim Blaine had paid for only 1,000, but these heirs considered that the excess of 99 acres would be a fair equivalent for obtaining the patent and completing the title. They therefore conveyed to Hays and Gilchrist the entire tract, which subsequently became vested in John Hays, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, partly in his own right and partly in that of his children, Mary W. Hays, afterward the wife and widow of Capt. West, of the United States army, Robert B. Hays, and John Hays, Jr., with all of whom the writer subsequently became acquainted. The two last named were his pupils at the Plainfield Academy, near Carlisle. John Hays, Sr., conveyed his right in that tract to David Ralston, March 23, 1839, for $7,375, and by virtue of an act of the assembly, approved July 5, 1839, he conveyed as guardian the interest of his wards therein, October 5, then next to David Ralston, for $1,000. The latter conveyed one-third thereof, respectively, to Thomas White and James McKennan, of Indiana, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1844, the consideration expressed in each conveyance being $1, also, April 7, 1845, his undivided third part, two tracts, to McKennan, for $850.
John Hays, Sr., was a son of John and Mary Hays, both of whom participated in the battle of Monmouth, N. J., in the revolutionary war. He was a sergeant in a company of artillery, who is said to have directed a cannon at least a part of the time. When he was carried from the field, his wife was approaching with a pitcher of water for him and others, took his place by that cannon, loaded and fired at least once, insisted on remaining, and left with much reluctance. Gen. Washington either saw or heard of the service, which she thus rendered, and commissioned her as sergeant by brevet. The morning after the battle she rescued from a pit one of her friends, who had been thrown into it, with others, as dead, carried him in her arms to the hospital and nursed him until he recovered, from whom, many years afterward, when he had learned her residence through the pension office, she received a box of presents and an invitation to make his home her home. She was in the army seven years and nine months, and in which she served with her husband after that battle. After the war she and her husband removed to Carlisle, Pennsylvania, where he subsequently died, and she married Sergeant McAuley, who embittered her life by his drunkenness and abuse, and for years lived on her earnings. She received an annual pension of $40 as the widow of John Hays, and during the last week of her life, her granddaughter says, one was granted to her in her own right. She died in January, 1832, in her ninetieth year, and was buried beside her first husband with military honors by several companies that followed her remains to the grave � �Mary Pitcher�s� grave. She was called �Molly Pitcher� because of her carrying that pitcher of water to the thirsty soldiers on that intensely hot day of the battle of Monmouth.
White, McKennan and Ralston sold portions of that tract as follows: To Robert Borland, 14 acres, 93 perches, strict measure, September 9, 1843, for $246.50, to James McQuoun, 90 acres, strict measure, January 17, 1844, for $1,150; to Robert and John Borland, 41 acres 20 perches, March 13, 1844, for $740.25; to Robert Marshall, 25.5. acres 102 perches, March 25, 1844, for $4,607.78; to William Cochran, 84 acres 102 perches, March 25, 1844, for $800; to John Marshall, 32 acres 11 perches, March 25, 1844, for $577; to John Hamilton, 231 acres 20 perches, January 16, 1845, for $4,696; to John Lias, 130 acres, January 31, 1845, for $1,200; Thomas White to John W. Marshall, undivided third part of 76 acres 107 perches, June 3, 1853, for $300; McKennan�s executors to same, May 13, 1853, for undivided two-thirds of 76 acres 107 perches, for $600; White to Watson S. Marshall, undivided one-third of 60 acres 411 perches, for $300; McKennan�s executors to same, two undivided third parts of 600 acres 41 perches, for $600; White to Margaret A., Joseph L., James K., and John McK. Marshall, the undivided third of 180 acres 87 perches, September 30, 1862, for $741.66, and McKennan�s executors to same two undivided thirds of 180 acres 87 perches, September 23, 1862, for $483.33.
The Glade Run Academy and the principal part of the borough of Dayton are situated within the limits of that tract.
The map of the original tracts indicates that a hundred acres tract of Joseph Marshall, the warrantee, adjoined that of Pickering & Co. tract on the southeast and the Alexander McClelland tract, warrant No. 1731, dated January 31, 1786, on the northeast. These two tracts were adjoined on the east by Harmon LeRoy & Co. tract No. 3115, occupied or seated by William and Joseph Marshall. Contiguous thereto on the north was the Harmon LeRoy & Co. Tract No. 3102, of which Benjamin Irwin purchased from the Holland Land Company, by deed dated April 16, 1832, 119 acres and 17 perches for $135. A portion of it was also occupied by Robert and Hugh Martin. Next north of that was a vacant tract about 200 rods wide along its southern boundary about the same distance along the Indiana county line, its eastern boundary, and about 450 or 500 rods along the Mahoning creek, its northeastern boundary, and thence by a straight line south to its southern boundary, being the northeastern portion of the township. Adjoining the northwestern part of the above-mentioned Pickering & Co. tract No. 262 � the number of the warrant meaning� was another Pickering & Co. tract No. 391, containing 439� acres, with a considerable portion of which Enoch and Reuben Hastings were assessed, the latter for a few years and the former from 1825 until after 1839. Adjoining thereto on the east was the Harmon LeRoy tract; covered by warrant No. 3108, containing 890 acres, 400 acres of which became vested in Robert Beatty April 26, 1814, who also purchased a portion of the McClelland tract because it was supposed to interfere with this one. Beatty then conveyed 400 acres to Thomas Taylor March 15, 1819, for $1,600, who conveyed the same to Jacob Pontius February 6, 1824, for $3,200. The Holland Land Company sold the upper or northern portion of this tract: 100 acres to John Hyskell May 24, 1837, for $100; 76 acres and 105 perches to Joseph Glenn June 9, 1838, for $212; 146� acres to John Henderson June 19, 1838, for $109.70; 204 acres and 68 perches to Samuel Coleman May 25, 1843, for $202.50. Contiguous thereto on the north was the LeRoy & Co. tract, covered by warrant No. 3109, small portions of which were on the north side of Mahoning creek, and a large portion of which was in a considerable northern bend of that stream, and which contains the principal part of �Lost Hill.�
This hill was called �lost� in consequence of a man, on a certain occasion, going out upon it in pursuit of a deer, which he killed, and on his return homeward became bewildered and lost the points of compass, owing to the peculiar formation of the surface, and to the dense and extensive forest. Other persons were on various occasions lost on it. He and they, however, were found by their neighbors.
The first assessment of any part of this tract was made in 1832 to Thomas Wilson, Jr., for 165 acres, which with that on one head of cattle amounted to $129.75. In the course of a few years Robert and Samuel Black, Joseph and Archibald Glenn, James Wilson, Sr., Joseph Marshall, Jr., Samuel Irwin, Joseph McSparren, Andrew D. Guthrie, and others who have more recently settled thereon.
Immediately west of the northwestern part of the Hiltzhimer tract, surveyed on warrant No. 5147, and the southwest part of the Pickering & Co. tract, surveyed on warrant No. 262, was a tract surveyed to Samuel Wallis � sometimes spelled Wallace � on warrant No. 4163, which contained 990 acres, which Wallis conveyed to George Harrison, July 28, 1797, who conveyed it to Joseph Thomas, October 18 nest following, who conveyed it to Thomas W. Francis, Edward Tighlman and Thomas Ross, August 13, 1798, who conveyed it to Peter Thomas, January 13, 1813, for $990, who conveyed 200 acres thereof to Archibald Marshall, May 19, 1814, for $200; 218 acres and 15 perches to Peter Lias, May 9, 1828. Thomas sold different other tracts, containing various quantities, from 1818 until 1836, to George Scott and others, generally at $1 an acre. The 150-acre tract, which he sold to Scott, became revested in him and he then conveyed it to Wm. Wirt Gitt, March 13, 1836, for $800, or at the rate of $5.33a per acre.
Gen. Robert Orr purchased two other Wallis tracts, covered by warrants Nos. 4126-7, containing, respectively, 990 and 1,100 acres, from Henry Pratt, who had purchased the same from the trustees of Joseph Thomas by deed dated June 1, 1803. Pratt�s conveyance to Orr is dated March 3, 1835. John Butler, Sr. and Jr., and Theodore Wilson purchased portions of the former in 1851 and 1858, and George Ellenberger, William Pontius, Samuel Black, John Gould, and John Bargerstock, portions of the latter in 1840-41-50.
The tract covered by warrant to Wallis, No. 4146, situated between those covered by warrants Nos. 4163 and 4126, was sold by John Sloan, sheriff of Westmoreland county, for taxes to Thomas Hamilton, of Greensburgh [sic], for $13, October 2, 1807, who, having lost the sheriff�s deed, conveyed it by another deed dated at Kittanning, April 16, 1811, to the assignees of Joseph Thomas for $20. It having afterward become vested in Gen. Orr, he sold portions of it to J. W. and G. W. Marshall in November, 1858. Gen. Orr also purchased several other Wallis tracts. He conveyed portions of the one covered by warrant No. 4131 to Charles Ellenberger and John Buchanan in September, 1840. Buchanan conveyed his to John Steele in October, 1849. Gen. Orr conveyed a part of the Wallis tract � warrant No. 4128 � to John Hetrich in November, 1847; and a portion of the Wallace tract � warrant No. 4132 � to Adam Baughman in February, 1851.
The North American Land Company became possessed pf several large tracts in this township, covered by warrants dated December 24, 1793. That company was organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, February 20, 1795, by written articles of agreement. It consisted of Robert Morris, the great financier of the revolutionary struggle; John Nicholson, who was commissioned comptroller general of Pennsylvania, November 8, 1872 [sic], and escheater general October 2, 1787, and James Greenleaf, and those who should become purchasers, owners and holders of shares in the company. At the final meeting of the shareholders, December 31, 1807, Henry Pratt, John Ashley, John Vaughan, Robert Porter, John Miller, Jr., and James Greenleaf were constitutionally elected president, managers, and secretary of the company. It was also constitutionally determined at that meeting by the holders and legal representatives of more than two-thirds of the whole number of shares issued that all the business of the company should be thenceforth conducted by the above-mentioned president, managers and secretary, or a majority of them, or their survivors or a majority of them, and that they should have full and unlimited power to barter, sell or convey all or any part of the land and property of the company on such terms and conditions as they might judge to be fit, and to act in all possible cases relating to the same as they might deem most proper and expedient.* They, as surviving managers, conveyed, February 8, 1836, to the late Gen. Robert Orr all of that company�s land in this county excepting and reserving such parts as were claimed by the Holland Land Company and their assigns, by the adverse surveys of Samuel Wallis, Alexander Craig, Thomas Hamilton and others. The tracts thus conveyed were covered by warrants to John Nicholson, Nos. 4573-4-5-6-7-8-9-80, and to Robert Morris, Nos. 4533-4-5 and 4528, aggregating about 9,500 acres. The consideration expressed in the deed is $2,385. Patents for those tracts were issued to the purchaser February 5, 1840, who soon after commenced selling that large body of land in tracts of suitable size for farms, at reasonable prices and on other terms easy to the purchasers, to whom he was indulgent, too much so in some instances for his own pecuniary interest. The earliest purchasers of the tract covered by warrant No. 4578 were Andrew Walker, Noah A. Calhoun, May 11, 1840. John Calhoun and Samuel Porter, June 24, and the same day, for $1, five acres to Jacob Kammerdinier [sic], and Jacob B. Hettrich, trustees for the German Reformed Church. Adjoining that tract on the south was the one covered by warrant No. 4579, containing 1,100 acres. Peter Kammerdinier [sic], who had settled there in 1825, was the first purchaser of a part thereof, namely 286 acres and 46 perches, June 24, 1840. Between that and the next tract that formerly belonged to the North American Land Company was the Thomas Smullen tract, assessed to John Alcorn for the first time in 1830. Adjoining that on the south was the tract covered by the Nicholson warrant, No. 1123, called �Alexandred,� a patent for which was issued to Alexander Craig, February 25, 1799, who conveyed 100 acres of it to Alexander and James White, November 18, 1813, for $200, and the same quantity to John and Joseph Powers, November 7, 1821, for $425. Adjoining �Alexandred� on the northwest was a vacant tract surveyed to John Alcorn on a warrant dated February 19, 1839, and to whom a patent was subsequently granted. West of �Alexandred� was the Robert Morris tract, covered by warrant No. 4533, containing 440 acres, which was the southwestern tract that Gen. Orr purchased from the North American Land Company, who conveyed, May 29, 1843, 255 acres and 8 perches of it to Alexander White for $382.75.
About 200 rods east of the southeast corner of the Morris tract was the northwest corner of the Nicholson tract, No. 4573, which cornered on the southeast corner of �Alexandred,� and contained 300 acres. It was included in the Orr purchase, and it is probably the one from which Mrs. Elizabeth McClemens, May 4, 1868, and Leopold Drahn, April 13, 1874, purchased their respective tracts - those being the dates of their deeds.
Directly north of that tract was the Wallis tract covered by warrant No. 4132, immediately north of the western half of which was the Nicholson tract, covered by warrant No. 4575, included also in the Orr purchase. The deed to Thomas Foster for 23 acres and 31 perches thereof is dated November 13, 1847, and the deed to Joseph Clever for 301 acres, February 16, 1859.
Next north of that and the Wallace tract, covered by warrant No. 4131, was the Nicholson tract, covered by warrant No. 4575, a part of the Orr purchase, about 60 acres of which were conveyed to Eli Schrecengost, June 26, 1843. Next north of it was the Nicholson tract, covered by warrant No. 4576, included in the same purchase, about 290 acres of which were conveyed to John Reesman, August 28, 1847; about 182 acres to Joseph Schrecengost, December 24, 1860, and about 150 acres to Joseph Steele, January 4, 1845, both being parts of the last-mentioned two Nicholson tracts.
Another tract, situated in contiguous parts of what are now Wayne and Cowanshannock townships, covered by warrant to Dr. William Smith, No. 675, dated October 20, 1785, which having become vested in William C. Bryan, he conveyed it to Gen. Orr, August 6, 1840, who conveyed about 121 acres of it to Mark Campbell, August 16, 1850, for $845, and about 108� to Michael Clever, the same day, for $280.
Adjoining that on the north and east was the Samuel Wallis tract, No. 4162, containing 1,070 acres, who conveyed it to George Harrison, who conveyed it to Joseph Thomas, through whose trustees it became vested in Robert Brown, who conveyed it December 23, 1818, to Jacob Beer, who sold portions of it to Jacob Beer, Samuel McGoughey [sic], Jacob Rupp and others.
Adjoining the Smith tract on the northwest was one containing 549 acres and 61 perches, called �White Oak Bottom,� covered by warrant No. 695, issued to Isaac Meason, of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, member of assembly from Westmoreland county in 1779, and Robert R. Cross, of Philadelphia. A patent, dated April 21, 1788, was granted for one undivided third part of it to Cross� executors. Contiguous to that, on the northwest was another Meason & Cross tract, covered by warrant No. 692, containing 549 acres and 68 perches, called �Walnut Bottom,� which, with another tract, called �Salem,� on the waters of Toby�s creek, was included in that patent. These three tracts having become vested in Robert O. Cross, of Philadelphia, mariner, he conveyed them July 3, 1809, to Thomas Hamilton of Greensburgh [sic], Pennsylvania, for $1,100. The latter devised �White Oak Bottom� to the late Thomas McConnell, and �Walnut Bottom� to Isaac Cruse. The former conveyed 200 acres of his tract to Hugh Gallagher, September 1, 1831, for $600, and the latter conveyed 200 acres of his to William McIlhenny, November 1, 1832, for $753.43.
A vacant tract adjoined these two tracts on the northeast, on which Frederick Soxman and Jacob Rupp settled, and for all, or a portion of which, a warrant was obtained. With the exception of a vacant tract adjoining �Walnut Bottom,� on the northwest, occupied by Adam Rupp, the land in the remaining or southwestern portion of this township belonged to the Holland Land Company, a sketch of which is given in Chapter I. Some of the lands belonging to that company were conveyed to purchasers by Paul Burti and by Benjamin B. Cooper, as well as by Wilhelm Willink and others.
The earliest purchase made from that company in this part of the township appears to have been by George Beck for 145 acres and 52 perches for $209, by deed dated September 21, 1813, being a part of their lands covered by warrant No. 3046, on which he erected many years ago a two-story brick house, being the first of the kind in this region. Noah A. Calhoun�s deed for a portion of their land covered by that warrant is dated the next day. The quantity mentioned in his deed is 197 acres and 140 perches, and the consideration therein expressed is $247.35. Some of the later, yet comparatively early, purchasers from that part of the land covered by that warrant still in this township (a part of it was in what are now Pine and Valley) were Susan, Eliza and Margaret White, December 19, 1827; Jacob Beck, March 17, 1830; and Adam Beck, December 19, 1832, according to the dates of their deeds.
Some of the early purchasers of that company�s land in this township covered by warrant No. 3045 were Jacob Smith, to whom 182� acres were conveyed June 17, 1829, the consideration expressed being $92.34; John McIntire, June 19, 1832, 95 acres for $47.40; George Kline, April 28,1834, 97 acres and 96 perches for $165; and Joseph Buffington, June 19, 1843, 417 acres and 61 perches, consideration $50. The hamlet called Echo, is located on allotment No. 6, tract No. 367, covered by the last-mentioned warrant, and on the same tract conveyed to Jas. A. Knox by Henry Clever, September 5, 1855, containing 46 acres, consideration $300.
The Holland company conveyed , October 7, 1819, to George Dill 89 acres and 85 perches in this township, covered by warrant No. 3141 for $179, being a part of allotment No. 3 and tract No. 365, and to Moses and George Dill, December 16, 1828, 119 acres and 51 perches for $59.50.
Adjoining the land covered by the last-mentioned warrant, on the east, was that covered by warrant No. 3139, of which Wilhelm Willink and others conveyed, March 22, 1831, to John Kline 127 acres, consideration $55, being in allotment No. 6, in tract No. 336, and April 7, 1837, to James White 550 acres, consisting of allotments Nos. 1, 2, 3, and part of No. 4, consideration $230.90.
The above-mentioned allotments and tracts are those indicated on the map of the Holland company�s lands.
The foregoing presentation of the original tracts and the naming of some of the early purchasers will, the writer thinks, enable all readers acquainted with the territory of Wayne township to understand the topography of those tracts; and the mention of the consideration, expressed in some of the deeds of conveyance, seems to him sufficient to afford at least a proximate [sic] idea of the increase in the market value of those lands, as it ranged in the second, third, fourth and fifth decades of this century.
The dates of the deeds of conveyance do not generally indicate the times of settling upon the lands thus conveyed. Most, if not all, the early settlers occupied and improved portions of those original tracts for years before they knew or they could reach those who could grant valid titles; so that there was in early times a good deal of �squatting� and occasional shifting of locations. But when the owners of those lands or their authorized agents became accessible to the settlers, the latter readily entered into contracts for purchasing on such terms and conditions as were, in most cases, easy for them to fulfil [sic].
Nearly all the tracts in this and other townships purchased from the Holland Company, are described as being �in Brodhead�s former district No. 6.� It was so called because it was the one of which John Brodhead, elsewhere mentioned, was deputy surveyor-general. He was commissioned April 28, 1794. His district began at the southeast corner of district No. 5, granted to William P. Brady, which was at Canoe Place, or what is now called Cherry Tree, on the Susquehanna river, and extended thence by the Brady district to the northern boundary of Pennsylvania; thence due west until it intersected a line extending due north from the mouth of Conewango river; thence south by that line to the Allegheny river; thence down that river, by its courses and distances, to the Purchase line of 1768, at Kittanning; and thence along that line to the place of beginning**.
The earliest settler in the eastern part of Wayne township, on Glade Run, was William Marshall, who came from Indiana county, settled, made an improvement, erected a log cabin and barn on the Pickering & Co. tract covered by warrant No. 262, of which he occupied about 80 acres, known in that region as �old Glade Run farm,� now lying south of the borough of Dayton, between it and the boarding houses of the Glade Run Academy. An orchard was planted on it soon after its first occupancy by Marshall, which is still thrifty, and known as the "old Glade orchard."
The only other white settler then within what is now the territory of this township was James Shields, who occupied a part of the above-mentioned vacant tract, the farm since owned by C. Soxaman [sic] and James Gallagher, Jr., about four miles west of south from Marshall�s. The latter�s next nearest neighbors were the Kirkpatricks, nearly south on the Cowanshannock, another family about four miles to the east, and others not less than ten miles to the north. The nearest gristmill was Peter Thomas�, about fifteen miles distant on Plum creek, near where the borough of Elderton now is. Even fourteen years later, the population of this region must have been very sparse, for Philip Mechling relates that he then found but very few habitations, and they were far apart, as he passed from Red Bank township to Thomas� in Plum Creek township, when he was collecting United States taxes, levied for paying the public debt incurred by the war of 1812. There were then only bridle-paths from one point to another. The streams were not spanned by bridges. When he reached the ferry kept by Robert Martin, at or near where Milton now is, he could not find either canoe or ferryman on the Red Bank side of the Mahoning. A canoe was on the other side. With dry chestnut logs, an ax and an auger, he constructed a small raft on which he ventured across the turbid stream and landed a considerable distance below his objective point. When he reached the canoe the ferryman had arrived. They crossed over to the Red Bank side and then returned to the Plum Creek side, guiding the horse by the rein or hitching as the latter swam alongside of the canoe.
The pioneer of Glade Run, after making considerable improvement on the �old Glade farm,� left it because he could not obtain what he deemed a valid title, and removed thence to the Harman Le Roy & Co. tract covered by warrant No. 3115, 188 acres and 125 perches of which Benjamin B. Cooper conveyed to him by deed, dated October 10, 1816, whereof William Marshall, Sr., conveyed 136 acres and 110 perches to John Marshall, September 8, 1824, for the nominal sum of $30.
Another contemporaneous settler on Glade Run was Joseph Marshall, the eldest son of William Marshall, Sr., being twenty-two years of age when they settled there nearly three-quarters of a century ago. Their new home in the wilderness was then in Toby township. In 1806 Joseph Marshall was assessed on the Kittanning township list with 100 acres of land, 1 horse and 1 head of cattle, at a total valuation of $86, and his father, on the same list, with two tracts of land, aggregating 565 acres, with 1 horse and 2 head of cattle, at a total valuation of $412. Joseph Marshall, in later years, when the Marshalls in this part of the county became quite numerous, was distinguished by the appellation of �big Joe Marshall.� He died in his eightieth year in 1859. His father had nine children, of whom the only one surviving is Robert Marshall, who on the centennial anniversary of American Independence was in his seventy-seventh year. The descendants of William Marshall, Sr., if all were living, would number about 350. The descendants of his brothers John and Archibald, who were somewhat later settlers in this region, are quite numerous. Hence, the frequency of the name of Marshall in this and other adjacent townships. The Marshalls, like many of their contemporaries bearing different names, have generally been of good repute in their public and private relations.
The eastern portion of this township received nearly all the settlers in the first decade of this century. Thomas Wilson was assessed with 300 acres of land, part of the James Hamilton tract, and with 2 horses and 1 head of cattle in 1806, so that he must have settled there as early as 1805 � then and until 1809 in Kittanning township. The records show that the other settlers in this section during that period were Hugh Martin, who settled on the Harmon LeRoy tract, covered by warrant No. 3102, as he was first assessed on that township list in 1807 with 150 acres; Alexander and Thomas McGaughey the same year, each having been assessed with 50 acres in 1807, portions of the Pickering & Co. Tract, covered by warrant No. 262; James Kirkpatrick, Sr., assessed with 100 acres, a part of the Hiltzhimer tract, covered by warrant No. 5147; and John Calhoun in 1807, he having been first assessed with 200 acres in 1808, a part of the last-mentioned tract, to whom the county commissioners issued an order November 9, 1808, for $8 for catching and killing a full-grown wolf November 21, 1807.
Christopher Rupp settled in 1805 about four and a half miles west of the western line of the last-mentioned tract, in the vicinity of what is now called Echo, on the tract of the Holland Company, covered by warrant No. 3045. He was assessed with 400 acres of land and 3 head of cattle, valued at $215. He was assessed twenty years later with 800 acres of the John Nicholson tract, covered by warrant No. 4575.
The population of this township increased very slowly until about and after 1825. Its total number of inhabitants in 1830, before it had been shorn of portions of its territory by the erections of other townships, was only 878. It was 1,875 in 1840. In 1850, after the curtailment of its territory, it was 1,348. In 1860 it was 1,571 white and 5 colored. In 1870, it was 1,939 native and 89 foreign. Its number of taxables, in 1876, is 395, from which its present population is estimated to be 1,867, exclusive of that of the borough of Dayton.
The present territory of Wayne was a part of Toby township from 1801 until 1806; a part of Kittanning township from then until 1809; and then a part of Plum Creek township until March 19, 1821.
The religious interests have been fostered by the people of this township from its earliest settlement. The first clergyman who held religious services within its limits was Rev. Robert McGarraugh, who was also the first Presbyterian minister who preached the gospel east of the Allegheny river in what are now Armstrong and Clarion counties.*** According to the most reliable information, the first sermon ever preached within the limits of Wayne was preached by him, either in the house or in the barn of William Marshall, Sr., in 1803, while en route to the then wilderness region between the Red Bank creek and Clarion river, where he subsequently settled. He preached in this settlement twice a year for ten or twelve years after 1803, while going to or returning from his kindred in Westmoreland county and meetings of the old Redstone Presbytery, which is said to have extended from the ridge of the Allegheny mountains to the Scioto river, and from Lake Erie to the Kanawha river. The temples of worship were the primitive log cabins of the widely-separated settlers, some of whom marked the dates of his appointments by placing pins at them in their almanacs. They loved to have the gospel preached to them in their wilderness homes.****
Glade Run Presbyterian Church was the first ecclesiastical body organized within the limits of Wayne. It germinated in the four Presbyterian families of James and William Kirkpatrick, William Marshall, Sr., and William Shields, who resided several miles apart, in 1804. From data which Rev. G. W. Mechlin, D. D., has given in his historical sketch of this church, it appears to have been organized in 1808 by simply electing James Kirkpatrick and William Marshall, Sr., ruling elders, who were ordained by Rev. Robert McGarraugh. The original members of this church in the wilderness, now certainly known, were James and Margaret Kirkpatrick, William and Mary Marshall, William and Martha Kirkpatrick, and William and Mary Shields.
In this connection, the writer deems a brief personal sketch of that pioneer minister, whose mission of peace and good will and Christian charity so soon follower the savage cruelties and startling war-whoops of the aboriginal inhabitants of these hills and vales, to be in place. Rev. Robert McGarraugh was born January 9, 1771, in Bedford, afterward Westmoreland, [sic] county, Pennsylvania. His parents were Joseph and Jane McGarraugh. He probably passed the early part of his life on his father�s farm. His instructors during his academical course were Rev. James Dunlap, subsequently the second president of Jefferson College, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, from April 27, 1803, until April 25, 1811, and Rev. David Smith, who resided in the �Forks of Yough.� In 1793 he became a student in the Canonsburg Academy, where he completed his academical studies. He afterward pursued his theological course at Canonsburg, under the instruction of Rev. John McMillan, D.D. His marriage to Miss Levina Stille occurred December 10, 1795, which must have been while he was yet a student, for he was licensed to preach by the Redstone Presbytery, October 19, 1803. Very soon thereafter he visited the field of his future ministerial labors in what was then Armstrong, but which is now Clarion county. After preaching awhile to the families then there, he was invited to settle among them. Having accepted their invitation, he and his family, with their household goods, began, on one of the latter days of May, 1804, their journey to their new home in the wilderness, which the reached in the course of seven or eight days, on the first of June. Wagon roads had not then been opened in this region, so they performed their journey through the forest on horseback, following Indian trails or the paths indicated by the settlers� blazes. They probably had three horses, one of which Mr. McGarraugh rode, another bore Mrs. McGarraugh and two of the children. All the kitchen furniture was packed on the third, on the top of which John, the oldest son, was mounted. On their route they either forded or swam the Kiskiminetas, Crooked creek and Plum creek. They were detained a day at the Mahoning, and another at the Red Bank, where they were under the necessity of constructing canoes, in which they were conveyed across those streams, the horses swimming alongside of them. Their habitation, during the first year of their residence, near the present town of Strattanville, was a log cabin twelve or sixteen feet square, the door of which was made of chestnut-bark.
Father McGarraugh, as he was in later years called, was ordained by the Redstone Presbytery November 12, 1807, and installed as the pastor of the New Rehoboth and Licking churches, his pastorate in which continued until April 3, 1822, after which time he preached at Callensburgh, Concord and some other places until his death, July 17, 1839, in the sixty-ninth year of his age and the thirty-sixth of his ministry. His successor, Rev. James Montgomery, says of him: �He was an humble, faithful, godly, self-denying and laborious minister of the Gospel, who labored long and well and laid deep the foundations of Presbyterianism in this region of the country.� Says Rev. Dr. Eaton: �He was not afraid of hardships; he did not love money; he sought not human applause. And so he was adapted to his field of labor. He pleased the people and God was with him. He was a plain unassuming man, not of remarkable ability or blessed with the gift of eloquence, intent on this one thing � to stand in his lot and do his duty. And thus he lived, and to-day his memory is fragrant, whilst that of more highly gifted men is a byword. Today his record is higher than the stars, for it is written in God�s great book of remembrance.� Says the writer of a historical sketch of Clarion county� �Rev. Robert McGarraugh is represented to have been a good, God-fearing man, well educated, able in prayer, slow of speech, often taking two or three hours to deliver his sermon. So earnest was he at times that great tears would roll from his eyes to the floor. It was said that his tears were more eloquent than his voice.� Says Rev. Dr. Mechlin: �I well remember, though but a boy, of seeing him once at a meeting of the Presbytery of Allegheny at Concord church, now in the Presbytery of Butler, the church of my childhood, and it will require many years yet to erase the impression his revered countenance, his gray hairs, and his athletic � almost gigantic � form made on my youthful mind.� he had three sons and four daughters. Mrs. Henry Black, one of the latter, and John McGarraugh, one of the former, are still living. Robert W. McGarraugh, a son of the latter, served in the Union army in the war of 1861 three and a half years, having been confined eleven months at Andersonville, where he died.
The early records of this, like many other churches, were not kept in a book. All that are now known to be extant were kept on loose pieces of paper, which were preserved by the late George McCombs. They contain the minutes of the session from September 15, 1821, until October 24, 1836. It is not known how many, if any, members were admitted between 1804 and 1821. The admissions, September 15, in the last-mentioned year, were twenty-one on examination and seven on letters. It is not apparent whether any Presbyterian clergyman preached here even occasionally between the time when Father McGarraugh ceased to travel this route and the advent of Rev. James Galbreath, who preached here a few times prior to 1820, when Rev. David Barclay commenced preaching as a stated supply and continued about five years, during which period a considerable number were admitted. Joseph Diven and George McComb were ordained elders by Mr. Barclay in 1820, ***** and John Marshall, Benjamin Irwin and William Kirkpatrick, July 24, 1825.******
The pastorate of Rev. Elisha D. Barrett, M.D., commenced December 9, 1828, and continued until November 29, 1840, during which period John Calhoun, James Wilson, William Gaghagan, Robert Caldwell and Robert Wilson were ordained and installed ruling elders, and fifty-nine members were admitted on examination. Dr. Barrett was among the first advocates of the temperance cause and of Sabbath-schools and other great moral and temporal interests of society in this region.
The pastorate of Rev. James D. Mason began June 16, 1843, and ended March 19, 1848, during which thirty-two members were admitted on examination, and Wm. M. Findlay, John Henderson and Thomas Travis were elected, ordained and installed ruling elders. An elder remarked many years after Mr. Mason�s departure: "It was a weeping time when he left."
The pastorate of Rev. Cochran Forbes commenced about July 1, 1849, and continued until May, 1856, during which sixty-eight members were admitted on examination, and Benjamin Irwin, John C. McComb and John Wadding wee elected, ordained and installed ruling elders.
The present pastorate of Rev. G. W. Mechlin, D.D., commenced February 20, 1857, during which there have been 281 members admitted on examination and 131 on certificate, and James R. Marshall, Joseph M. McGaughey, Harkley [sic] K. Marshall, Wm. C. Guthrie, Samuel S. Caldwell and Archibald Findlay were chosen ruling elders.
The numbers of members admitted on certificates during the pastorates prior to the present one are not given, because, a s Dr. Mechlin says, the roll of such is confused.
All the church edifices were erected on the same site, near the northern angle of the triangle formed by three public roads, on the Pickering & Co, tract, covered by warrant No. 262. The first one was 30 V 30 feet, with walls of hewn logs, shingle roof and board floor. It was probably erected in 1821, as the subscription paper recently found among the papers of the late Benjamin Irwin shows that the �implements,� as the materials are styled, were to be delivered to the building committee by the first day of May that year. One subscriber agreed to furnish five logs, another the same, another five pairs of rafters, two others �one summer,� and so on until ample provision was made for the walls, roof and floor. Another paper contains the names of more than forty subscribers, who promised to pay, respectively, sums of money varying from $1 to less than twenty-five cents �for purchasing glass and nails and fixing the windows of the meeting-house.� That edifice was followed by another in 1831, frame, 44 V 54 feet, which gave place in 1857 to another, 48 V 60 feet, which in 1871 was enlarged to its present dimensions of 48 V 76 feet, all of which were from time to time required by the healthy increase of the congregation.
Many of the members of this church were somewhat agitated by the proposal, made in 1825, to change the psalmody from Rouse�s version to Watts� hymns. The latter were gradually introduced after close scrutiny, without which the scruples which some entertained respecting the heterodoxy which they feared might lurk in those hymns were not removed. [sic] In at least one family Watts� hymnbook was for some time kept in a place of concealment, from which it was brought out for examination after the children were put to bed and were supposed too sound asleep to hear the comments and discussions of their scrupulous parents concerning its merits or demerits. After a satisfactory examination they �could see nothing wrong in them,� that is, in those hymns. So in due time that much-abused book was placed in broad daylight beside the Psalm-book. It is related that Rev. Mr. Barclay gave great offense to some of his congregation when with his strong, ringing voice he read the first hymn given out in this church, containing these lines:"Let them refuse to sing
Who never knew their God."
In the course of time all fears and prejudices against the hymns vanished, for the present Presbyterian hymnal, having been adopted soon after its publication, �gives general satisfaction.� The choir was organized in 1863, of which Archibald Findlay was appointed the leader, and it has ever since been composed of a goodly number of ladies and gentlemen of musical talent and culture.
The Sabbath-school connected with this church was established probably in August or September, 1826, and was organized at a schoolhouse near Abel Findlay�s residence, which was then on the Hiltzhimer tract, covered by warrant No. 5147. The officers on the first day were Joseph Reed, president, and John Calhoun and Abel Findlay, assistants. A list of questions in the handwriting of the last-named, on the 10th and 11th chapters of Matthew, closely written in double columns, filling a large sheet of paper, is still extant. In discrimination and point of adaptation to bring out the meaning of the text they are not excelled by those sanctioned by some of the publishing houses of the church. This, like other schools in the township, was soon thereafter merged in the one at the church. It has ever since been a beneficent and flourishing school. Among its devoted superintendents and teachers the name of William Kirkpatrick most frequently occurs.
In this centennial year the number of church members is 240, and of Sabbath-school scholars, 202.
This is not only the first church organized east of the Allegheny river, within the limits of this county, but it has been a parent church, from which emanated large portions of the original members of the Concord, Millville, Rural Village and Sinicksburg [sic] churches, and a nucleus of the United Presbyterian church at Dayton. Its charter of incorporation was granted by the court of common pleas of this county September 7, 1857. Dr. J.R. Crouch, Jacob B. Guyer and John Marshall were appointed its trustees to serve until the first election.*******
St. Michael�s Protestant Episcopal church appears to have the next one established in this township. It was organized by Rev. B.B. Killikelly January 7, 1836, who was its rector for several years. His report to the convention of that year shows that the congregation or parish then consisted of sixteen families, containing ninety-one persons; that six children had been baptized, eight persons confirmed and ten communicants added. The services were held in a private house, small and inconvenient. A portion of the members had previously belonged to St. Paul�s at Kittanning. The next year the number of families was twenty-three, containing one hundred and thirty-four persons; fifteen communicants were added; there were eight baptisms; and $12.50 were collected for missionary purposes. A church edifice being much needed, the rector visited New York and the cities of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh for the purpose of soliciting aid for erecting one in this and another parish.
For this one he obtained $24.13, which he paid over to James McElhinny and George Stockdill, the wardens. A frame edifice of adequate dimensions was soon erected and was occupied before its completion. It is located on one of the above-mentioned Meason & Cross tracts in the southern part of the township, or it may be on both of them, for on April 2, 1861, Anthony Gallagher conveyed eighty-three and a half perches of the one called "Walnut Bottom," to William Borland, William Cook, William Gallagher, Andrew Stewart and James Stewart, and others, vestrymen. The rectors who succeeded Rev. B. B. Killikelly, D.D., were Rev. William Hilton and Rev. D. C. James. It is incorporated. Its charter was granted by the proper court June 6, 1866. The report to the convention for 1876 presents these facts: Rev. William Hilton, rector; James Stewart and Michael Campbell, wardens; families, 25; persons not thus included, 8; communicants admitted, 5; died, 1; present number, 54; baptized, infants, 8; confirmed, 7; public services, Sundays, 23; sittings in church, free; value of church and lot, $2,000; parsonage, $700; rector�s salary, $355; parochial offerings, $405; diocesan offerings, $35.25. The rector furthermore remarks that, although the parish is not so flourishing as he would like to see it, is nevertheless in a very encouraging condition, the attendance being good. A Sunday-school has again been established with very encouraging prospects.
The late Rev. Joseph Painter, D.D., commenced preaching in this township late in the fall of 1840, or early in the winter of 1841. By order of presbytery he and John Calhoun, who had previously emigrated from the eastern to the northwestern part of the township, organized the Concord Presbyterian church at the hose of Joseph Clever. Of that house Dr. Painter remarked: �It was a log cabin with one room. In it was a family of children and all the people that assembled at that time, and yet there was room for more, but the people were united and had a mind to work.� One of the elders wrote to Rev. T.D. Ewing: �Doctor Painter usually rode out, � (from Kittanning)�on Saturday, and returned on Monday, stopping with the people by turns, and although cooking, eating and sleeping were all done in the same apartment by most of them, yet his coming was hailed with pleasure by both old and young.� He statedly supplied this church, which had thus arisen in that then newly settled region, until March 31, 1853, during which period eighty-six communicants were admitted. He then left it because more time and labor were required than he could give. It then became a part of the charge of Rev. Cochran Forbes until the fore part of May, 1856. From 1857 to 1866 it belonged to the charge of Rev. G. W. Mechlin, D.D. From 1867 until 1872 it was under the pastorate, for half time, of Rev. H. Magill, and since then it has been under that of Rev. F. E. Thompson. Its present number of members is 173, and of Sabbath-school scholars, 130.
The first edifice of Concord church was erected in 1842 on land purchased from Robert clever, being a part of the John Nicholson tract, covered by warrant No. 4574. It was a frame structure of adequate capacity for the accommodation of the congregation at the time of its erection. Archibald Glenn was the builder, and the committee which made the contract with him consisted of John Steele, David Buchanan, Joseph Clever and Noah A. Calhoun, Jr. The Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran church was organized in 1832 by Rev. Gabriel A. Reichert. Peter Kammerdinier [sic] was the first elder, and Christopher Rupp and Abraham Zimmerman were the first trustees. After Mr. Reichert left, its pulpit was filled by several different pastors. For some years past this church has been under the charge of Rev. Michael Swigert. It adheres to the general Council. The present number of members is 72; Sabbath-school scholars, 50. The first church edifice was a log one about 30 V 25 feet. The present is frame, 40 V 35 feet. It was erected in 1874, on an acre lot, conveyed to the trustees by Jacob Kammerdinier, August 7, 1870, being a part of the Nicholson tract No. 4579.
The educational interests were cherished by the early settlers of this township. About 1815 - it may have been somewhat later or earlier - according to information which has been orally transmitted to these later times, the first school within its present limits was opened in a building, perhaps not at first designed for a schoolhouse, on land of Benjamin Irwin, near the Indiana county line, which was taught by the William Marshall, distinguished from others of that name by the sobriquet of of [sic] �Crooked,� not, it is presumed, that he was so morally. Perhaps, whatever crookedness there was in his physique may have been induced by the virtue of extraordinary industry. Some of his pupils traveled three and others four miles daily to acquire the rudiments of education within the walls of that log temple of knowledge in the forest. Robert Marshall, of Dayton, is the only pupil known to be now living. Another school was taught in a primitive schoolhouse, built somewhat later, near the present site of the Glade Run Presbyterian church, one of the teachers of which was Bezai Irwin. Later and before the passage of the common school law, there must have been at least one organization for the maintenance of a public school, for John Lias conveyed for $1, March 14, 1829, one-fourth of an acre on the west side of the Red Bank road, to Benjamin Irwin, Robert Martin, George McCombs and Jacob Pontius, trustees of the Glade run school district.
In 1830 there were seven children whose parents were too poor to pay for their schooling; in 1831, ten, and in 1832, eight.
In 1832, David Lewis and David Scott were assessed as schoolmasters.
Whether there were any other secular schools before the common school law of 1834-5 went into operation, is not apparent. The first schoolhouses built under that law appear to have been distributed in accordance with the wants of the then most thickly populated portions of the township. One was located in the Calhoun settlement, in the northwestern part; another in the Beck settlement, in the southwestern part; another nearly two miles north of Dayton; and another about the same distance southwest of that borough, on the Wallace tract, No. 4163.
The common school system was adopted, though not unanimously, by the voters of this township, as is manifest from these incidents: One morning, while the people of each township had the right to accept or reject it by their votes, John Buchanon [sic], who then lived on the farm now owned by John Steele, was firmly resolved to go to the election ground that day and vote for its rejection. But his grandson, Joseph Steele, about six years old, approached him as he was starting from the barn on horseback, with this earnest appeal, �Grandpa, don�t vote to take the school away from me!� The old gentleman proceeded to the election with those touching words ringing in his ears, which had the effect of changing his purpose, for he voted for accepting the school system, of which he continued to be a firm friend until his death. That was an instance of families being divided on this question. He that morning determined to ride to the polling place to vote for rejecting, while his son-in-law, John Steele, was as fully determined to walk thither to vote for accepting that system. At another occasion, while this township extended southward to the purchase line of 1768, when a considerable number of the citizens were assembled, it was determined to test their sense of the school question, by those in favor of retaining the school system ranging [sic] themselves on one side of a small run in Alexander Campbell�s meadow, and those opposed on the other side. After the school men and the anti-school men had thus ranged [sic] themselves, Martin Schrecengost, then one of the latter, having surveyed the two opposing lines, declared there was not a decent looking man in his line, and immediately passed over to the other side. A certain anti-school man, who had several children that needed to be educated, was bitterly opposed to the school law, because he deemed the tax required to sustain the school oppressive. It may have been so on him, for he paid of that tax the vast sum of eleven cents.
In 1860 the number of schools was 10; average months taught, 4; male teachers, 7; female teachers, 3; average salaries of male, per month, $20; of female, per month, $18.47; male scholars, 221; female scholars, 178; average number attending school, 278; cost of teaching each scholar per months, 48 cents; amount levied for school purposes, $1,058.18; received from state appropriation, $94.25; from collectors, $800; cost of instruction, $704; fuel and contingencies, $74.80; cost of schoolhouses, $25.30.
In 1876 the number of schools was 10; average number of months taught, 5; male teachers, 6; female teachers, 4; average salaries of male, per month, $32; average salaries of female, per month, $32; male scholars, 190; female scholars, 151; average number attending school, 251; cost per month, $1.20; tax levied for school and building purposes, $1,970.84; received from state appropriation, $309.69; received from taxes and other sources, $1,991.12; cost of schoolhouses, repairing, etc., $223.50; paid for teachers� wages, $1,600; collectors� fees, fuel, etc. $234.23.
The Belknap independent district resulted from a conflict between certain portions of the people of this township respecting the location of a schoolhouse, which began in 1848-9. One portion insisted that it should be in one, and the other in another, place. The school directors could not satisfy both parties, locate it where they would. The aggrieved party applied to the court for redress, and a rule was granted on the directors, December 13, 1850, to appear on the 21st and show cause why their seats should not be vacated. The complaint against them was dismissed by the court March 6, 1851. Nevertheless, the conflict grew more determined and serious. A bill of indictment for misdemeanor in office was found against them at June sessions, 1852. William Marshall was the ostensible prosecutor, and William McIlhinney, John Lias, Jr., Joshua Foster, James R. Calhoun, Joseph T. Irwin and William W. Marshall were the defendants. The case was tried at the next September sessions. The verdict was guilty, and they were sentenced to pay a fine of $1 each, and the costs. The case was taken up to the supreme court, where the judgement was reversed and they were discharged without day [sic]. Another indictment for a similar offense was preferred against them at December sessions, 1853, which was quashed by the court. On the petition of divers citizens of the township, a rule was granted on them to appear at the June sessions and show cause why they should not be removed, which was finally withdrawn. Still the efforts of those opposed to the location of that schoolhouse in Fox Hollow, though foiled in court, did not cease. After the passage of the school law of 1854, they applied to the proper court for the formation of an independent district. Their application was resisted. Its opponents alleged that there was not enough property within the proposed limits of the district to enable the directors to raise an adequate amount of tax for maintaining a school. But when those applicants showed the amount of their freehold property and offered to become individually liable for the expense of keeping open the school four months in the year, the remonstrants changer their base of opposition, alleging that there was too much property in the proposed district, and that an undue amount of the tax then raised for defraying the expenses of all the schools in the township would be devoted to that one school. The court, however, at December sessions, 1855, appointed Robert McIntosh, John Hotham and William McCutchin [sic], now residents of Wayne, as commissioners, to examine the grounds of that application and to report as to whether it should be granted. Their report in favor of granting it was read by the court December 12, 1855, and confirmed April 15, 1856. William Lytle, Chambers Orr and Robert Martin, non-residents of this township, having been appointed commissioners by the court, reported, June 7, that they had examined and proportioned the schoolhouses in Wayne township and Belknap district, and awarded the latter $152, to be paid in three semi-annual installments. A compliance with the terms of that report was enforced under a rule granted by the court. The Belknap directors used $100 of that sum, the balance left after paying for legal services rendered, in building a frame schoolhouse of suitable size. Although Judge Buffington was very adverse to the formation of independent districts, he deemed it best that this one should be established for the purpose of ending the protracted conflict. Thus ceased to be tossed to and from an apple of discord, which for nearly a decade had caused intense bitterness of feeling among the people and a heavy drain upon the school fund of the township. The school board thereafter purchased of David Olinger two lots in the village of Belknap on which to erect a schoolhouse, namely, Nos. 3 and 4, the former 60 V 80 and the latter 60 V 75� feet, both fronting on the Kittanning road, for $19.25. They are part of the Wallace tract, No. 4127, and part of the quantity which Gen. Orr sold to Geo. Ellenberger.
In 1876 the report of this school was: Months taught, 5; male teacher, 1; salary per month, $35; male scholars, 36; female scholars, 19; average number attending school, 41; cost per month, 68 cents; tax levied for school and building purposes, $151.27; received from state appropriation, $37.20; from taxes, etc., $184.98; paid for teachers� wages, $175.08; for fuel, etc., $69.37.
GLADE RUN ACADEMY
This institution emanated from the Glad Run Presbyterian church, and was established for the purpose of affording facilities for the more extensive education of the youth of this region than those enjoyed in the common schools. After discussing the expediency of establishing a school of a higher grade by members of the congregation, the session of that church, May 27, 1851, resolved �that measures be adopted for opening a parochial school as soon as possible.� On the 20th of September next thereafter �the subject of a select parochial school was further discussed, but no plan adopted.� The school, however, was opened in the latter part of the next month, with Rev. John M. Jones as principal, the members of the session having assumed the responsibility of paying his first year�s salary. His services as principal continued to be acceptably rendered and continuously, except for a few months, from that time until 1854. He was succeeded by Rev. G.W. Mechlin, D.D., from April, 1855, until December, 1861, when the former resumed the position and continued to fill it for nearly seven years, when he resigned and was succeeded by the present incumbent, his former successor. Both of those principals have been aided during the last quarter of a century in their educational work by various competent and efficient male and female assistants, most of the former of whom are now Presbyterian clergymen in this and several other states Nearly 1,100 students, of both sexes, have received instruction at this institution, to which the people have deservedly given the name of academy. Between forty and fifty of those students are ministers of the Gospel. One of them is a professor in one of the oldest theological seminaries in our country. Some are foreign missionaries. One is a president judge. Some are prominent lawyers, some are successful physicians, and a goodly number are laboring efficiently in the useful and honorable vocation of teaching. The buildings appurtenant to this institution are the academy edifice, frame, and of adequate size; a boarding -house for the female students, which was recently given to the trustees by the Glade Run congregation - the grant to continue as long as it shall be used for academy purposes; and two boarding-houses for the male students, one of which being the gift of George W. Goheen, and the other being the product of contributions made chiefly by the people of Kittanning and members of the congregation of Concord Presbyterian church in this township and of those from other sources, A liberal and perpetual charter was granted to this academy by the proper court of this county June 6, 1866.
The occupation of the people within the present limits of this township appears to have been entirely agricultural until about 1820. From that year on occupations became somewhat more diversified. In that year Peter Thomas was first assessed with a sawmill, which must have been on the Wallis tract, covered by warrant No. 4163. The nest one was assessed to Jacob Beck in 1822, which must have been on the Holland Company tract, covered by warrant No. 3046. Other sawmills were first assessed: To Abel Findley, on the Hiltzhimer tract, covered by warrant No. 5147. In 1826; to Alvah Payne, probably on the Hamilton tract, in 1829, which was afterward transferred to Samuel Brink. The present number of sawmills is three � one on Glade run, about 300 rods in an air line above its mouth, one at the mouth of Camp Run, and the other about 160 rods southeast of Echo, on Pine creek.
The first gristmill in this township was built by Joseph Marshall, Sr., in 1822, on Glade Run, about half a mile above its mouth, on the Wallace tract, covered by warrant No. 4127, which was successively owned by James Kirkpatrick, John Henderson, Archibald Glenn, John Segar and Andrew J. Lowman. The next gristmill was built, in 1830, by George Beck, Sr., on Pine creek, in the southwestern part of the township, at or near which there was afterward a carding machine. The third one was built by Enoch Hastings, in 1835, about 150 rods above the first-mentioned one on Glade Run, on the Pickering & Co. Tract, covered by warrant No. 391, which was subsequently owned by Daniel Schrecongost, John Segar, Alexander Getty and Andrew J. Lowman, and Alex. Haines. The fourth one was built probably by Andrew J. Lowman, in 1863, on a branch of Pine creek and on the old Anderson Creek road, in the southern part of the township, now owned by Jacob Segar. The Ellenberger & Coleman, formerly Guthrie�s saw and grist mill, on the south side of Mahoning creek, in the northeastern part of the township, just below the deep bend in that stream, was built in 1827 by Alvah Paine [sic] and Thomas Travis. All of these gristmills are now in operation, and are the only ones in the township.
The first fulling-mill in this township was started by David Lewis near the first of the above-mentioned gristmills, in 1828, which was subsequently operated by Archibald McSperran, Archibald Glenn and James G. Morrison. The last-named was also assessed with a carding machine for the first time, in 1839.
Distilleries were assessed: To Robert Marshall for the years 1823-4-5-6-7-8; to Alexander White from 1828 until 1831; to Adam Beck from 1831 until 1833; to Henry Clever from 1837 until 1839.
Mechanics were assessed for the first time in this township thus: John Marshall, hatter, in 1829; William Marshall, tanner, in 1831, and William B. Marlin and Joseph Stewart, in 1832; George McCombs and James McQuown, with tanyards, in 1836; Enoch Hastings, John Lias, Peter Lias, James Russell and John Rutherford, blacksmiths, in 1832; and in that year, Abel Findlay [sic], William Kinnan, carpenters; Hugh Rutherford, tailor; Jesse Cable, shoemaker, John Gould, stone and brick mason, and in 1833, Robert Borland, Jr., chairmaker [sic].
Merchants assessed for the first time: John Borland, in 1832; Jacob Brown, in 1838. There was, it is said, a store, eight or ten years later, at the mill, built by Joseph Marshall, on Glade Run. In 1876, there are three assessed � one in thirteenth, and two in fourteenth class.
Olney furnace was built by John McCrea and James Galbraith in 1846, and went into blast the next year. It was situated on the southerly side of the Mahoning creek, a little over two miles in an air line from the mouth of Glade Run, and was a hot and cold blast charcoal furnace, which for a few years made about 23 tons of pig-metal a week; and then after the enlargement of its bosh to 9 feet across by 32 feet high, 568 tons in 23 weeks, from the ferriferous and hard limestone ore, taken from the beds in the coal measures three miles around it. The number of employ3es [sic] varied from about sixty to eighty. Galbraith retired from it in 1850, and McCrea continued to operate it until 1855. The iron was transported via the Mahoning creek and Allegheny river to Pittsburgh.
An iron foundry was established by John Henderson and Archibald Glenn, probably in 1847� they were first assessed with it in 1848 � which was attached to the new gristmill on the site of the old one, called the lower Glade mills. It appears to have been operated by the latter until 1851, when it was transferred to John Segar, to whom it ceased to be assessed after 1852.
The first resident clergymen were Rev. Elisha D. Barrett, who was first assessed with portions of the Hiltzhimer tracts in 1829, and Rev. John Hindman, who was first assessed with a portion of the Blaine tract, covered by warrant No. 558, in 1834.
The first resident physician was Dr. William N. Simms, who was first assessed with a portion of the Pickering & co. tract, covered by Warrant No. 262, in 1834.
The temperance element in this township has been quite strong for many years. The vote on the question of granting licenses to sell liquor, February 28, 1873, was 194 against and 56 for.
The Glade Run postoffice was established December 17, 1828, at Joseph Marshalls on the then new post-route from Kittanning to the mouth of Anderson�s creek. Reuben Lewis was its first postmaster, whose ancestors were Rev. E.D. Barrett from 1831 till 1835; John Borland until 1853; William Findley until 1855 when the office removed to the village of Dayton.
The postoffice at Belknap was established September 21, 1855, and its first postmaster was Charles W. Ellenberger, whose successors have been John Steele, Porter Marshall, Joseph McCorkle, Jacob Maurer and Daniel Knappenberger.
The name of this office was suggested by John McCrea and was readily adopted by those interested in its establishment, as well as by the postmaster-general. Hence, the name of the hamlet at that point, and of the independent school district. That locality is on the Wallace tract covered by warrant No. 4127.
The Echo postoffice was established July 14, 1857, and its first postmaster was Joseph Knox, merchant; the present one is Moses McElwain. The name of this office and of the point where it is located was suggested by the re-percussion of sound caused by the hills in its vicinity.
The first lodge of Grangers, or Patrons of Husbandry, in this county was organized in this township, its first president being John Steele.
In the centennial year the great mass of the people of this township were still engaged in agricultural pursuits, the assessment list showing those in other occupations to be: Ministers, 2; teacher, 1; surveyor, 1; physician, 1; merchants, 3; blacksmiths, 2; carpenters, 3; gunsmiths, 1; laborers, 23; millers, 3; miners, 4; shoemaker, 1; teamster, 1; tanner, 1; and 48 single men, valued at $50 each.
BOROUGH OF DAYTON
The town or village of Dayton was laid out in 1850 on a part of the Pickering & Co. Tract, covered by warrant No. 262, then owned by Robert Marshall, and on a part of the Alexander McClelland tract, then owned by John Lias. The lots vary considerably in their areas. Marshall sold at least one of his in 1850, one in 1853, one in 1854, but most of the others from 1860 until 1871, at prices varying according to their respective areas and location. For instance, he conveyed 1 acre and 16 perches, in 1850, to Michael Guyer for $52.50; 44 perches, the next year, to J. B. Guyer for $15; the same quantify, the next year, to Samuel Rearich, Sr., for $20; 1 lot to Thomas Ormond, June 8, 1861, for $136.67; lot No. 10, the same day to Jacob R. McAfoos for $30; and lots Nos. 4 and 5 to Joseph T. Hosack for $950; 2 acres, February 2, 1863, to Sam�l McCartney for $120; 1 lot to John Campbell, August 9, 1867, for $100; and 1 lot, April 5, 1871, to Joseph W. Sharp for $40. John Lias� heirs conveyed, February 5, 1853, 25 perches to James Coleman for $40.66; 54 7/10 perches to Robert N. McComb for $27.35; and 105 6/10 perches to Eliza A. Goodhart for $33.
The growth of this town in business and population has been gradual and healthful. It was, of course, a part of Wayne township until its incorporation into a borough.
The Methodist Episcopal church was organized here, it is said, as early as 1821, probably by Rev. Thomas Hudson during his itinerant labors in this region, there being then about 12 members. Its number of communicants in 1876 is 90; Sabbath-school scholars about 100. There are two other churches in the Dayton circuit, whose aggregate number of members is 200, and of Sabbath-school scholars about 240. The first church edifice of the Dayton congregation was erected in 1837.
The Associate Presbyterian congregation of Glade Run was organized in the vicinity of Dayton by Rev. John Hindman in 1831, with eight members.
John H. Marshall and William Kinnan were its first ruling elders. The pastorate of Rev. John Hindman continued until April 38, 1852. Rev. David K. Duff, the present pastor, first preached to this congregation in February, 1854, and was ordained and installed October 18, 1856. Although he was absent three years rendering military service as captain of Company K in the 14th regt. Pa. Cav., in the War of the Rebellion, his pastoral relation, at the request of his congregation, was not dissolved during any portion of his absence. The Sabbath-school was organized April 18, 1859. The membership of the church in 1876 is 110, and the number of Sabbath-school scholars 59. When the union between the Associate and Associate Reformed churches was effected in 1858, the name was changed to that of the United Presbyterian congregation of Glade Run, and in 1850 [sic] to the Dayton United Presbyterian congregation. Its contributions to the various boards during the last twenty years amount to $9,980, and during the year ending in 1876 $1,170.08. Its first church edifice was frame, 30 V 35 feet, situated nearly two miles in an air line between south and southeast from Dayton, on a small branch of Glade Run, adjoining the cemetery noted on the township map, in the Borland neighborhood. It was enlarged in 1841. Its location was changed to Dayton in 1860. The present edifice, frame, about 40 V 60 feet, between the Methodist Episcopal church and the academy, on the north side of Church street, was completed in 1863. The lot on which it is located was conveyed by Robert Marshall to Smith Neal, Robert L. Marshall and Wm. J. Stuchell, trustees, and their successors, March 27, 1869, for $10.
The Dayton Union Academy was established in 1852, and it has ever since been under the control of a board of trustees chosen by the contributors to its support, irrespective of their sectarian tenets. It sprung from the united efforts of at least two (the United Presbyterian and Methodist Episcopal) denominations. Hence it is called a union academy. Its first principal was Rev. John A. Campbell, whose successors have been Rev. David K. Duff and David Love, A.M., who have from time to time had the co-operation of zealous and competent assistants.
The first county superintendent of the common schools of this county was Rev. Jno. A. Campbell in 1854, then principal of this academy.
One of the noble monuments of the gratitude of the people of Pennsylvania to the dead soldiers of the republic and their tender regard for the welfare of the children bereft of fathers by the war for out cherished Union adorns this municipality. It having been suggested in the summer of 1866 that there was a need of a soldiers� orphans� school either in this or one of the adjoining counties, Dayton was readily admitted to be an eligible location for it. Meetings of some of its citizens were held; the subject was generally discussed, and it was finally determined to establish the needed school here. Rev. David K. Duff was authorized to confer with Thomas H. Burrowes, who was then the state superintendent of the Soldiers� Orphans� Schools, who, after having been informed of this benign movement, came hither, made a parol agreement with some of the citizens, who had become enlisted in the project, for consummating it, and selected the present site for the buildings. A joint stock company was soon organized with a capital of $15,000. Its original members were Rev. David K. Duff, Rev. T.M. Elder, Dr. William Hosack, Dr. J. R. Crouch, Robert Marshall, Wesley Pontius, William R. Hamilton, William Marshall, Thomas P. Ormond, Thomas H. Marshall, Samuel Good, Smith Neal, John H. Rupp, William Morrow, William J. Burns, J. W. Marshall, William Hindman, John Beck, Jacob Beck, John Craig, David Lawson and David Byers. The school opened in rented buildings on the 1st of November in that year, with fifty-one pupils. This company was incorporated December 1, 1873. Its charter name is the �Dayton Soldiers� Orphans� School Association.� It purchased in the fall of 1867 thirty-five acres of land, on which have been erected three substantial two-story frame buildings, one of which, 72 V 24 feet, was occupied in the early part of the next spring; another, 72 V 36 feet, was erected during the following summer, and the third one, 86 V 40 feet, was ready to be occupied by the 1st of September then next ensuing. The ones first and last erected were burned in December, 1873, and within six months thereafter new ones were erected on their sites. The three buildings have a capacity for the accommodation of 225 pupils.
Rev. T. M. Elder, Rev. J. E. Dodds and ex-County Superintendent Hugh McCandless, the present one, having successively been the principals of this school; the principal assistants, J. P. Barber, G. W. Innes, W. McKiershan, Alex. T. Ormond and M. L. Thounhurst [sic]; the aggregate of different assistant teachers of all grades, 27; superintendents of boys, 8; employees [sic], 29.
The average number of pupils, girls and boys, during the first five years, was about 150, and from 1872 until 1876, 206. Only three deaths of pupils have occurred in nearly ten years, and there has been, since the opening of the school, but very little sickness among them. Twenty-four have been transferred to other schools, 220 have been discharged by reason of their having attained the age of sixteen years, and 38 by order of the superintendent.
The moral, intellectual and physical culture in this schools is such as is well calculated to make its pupils good, useful and healthful men and women, and to properly prepare them for their various vocations in after life. It is gratifying to know that so many of them, as do, find eligible situations after they pass out from the portals of this temple of knowledge to participate in the earnest, continuous struggle on the world�s broad battlefield.
The common schoolhouse, frame, two stories, is situated on the southeast corner of South and School streets. The school is graded one of two departments.
The school statistics for 1876 are as follows: schools, 2; average number of months taught, 5; male teacher, 1; female teacher, 1; salary of male per month, $33; salary of female per month, 33; male scholars, 50; female scholars, 49; average number attending school, 74; received from state appropriation, $91.14; from taxes, etc., $626,22 [sic]; paid for schoolhouse, $244; for teachers� wages $297; for fuel, $108.12.
The petition of divers citizens of the town of Dayton for its incorporation into a borough, under the general borough acts, was filed in the proper court on the 3d [sic], approved by the grand jury on the 5th of March, and finally approved by the court on June 5, 1873, when the usual decree was made, and the town duly declared to be incorporated into the borough of Dayton, with these boundaries:"Beginning at a post at the line of lands of Ezra Pontius, thence passing the lands of Thomas and William Marshall south 3� degrees east 141 perches to a post, thence passing through in part the same land and land of said Thomas H. Marshall, with other lands of widow Knox south 86 � degrees west 280 perches to a stump, thence passing through lands of said Knox in part and in part through lands of Sloan Cochran north 6 degrees east 174 2/10 perches to a post, thence passing through lands of George Kline and others south 86 � degrees east 253 7/10 perches to the post and place of beginning."
It was declared to be a separate election and school district. The first election was directed to be held at the schoolhouse, July 1, 1873. Wesley Pontius was appointed judge, and Ralph Kells and Theodore Wilson inspectors, and Abraham Good was directed to give notice of that election. The highest number of votes cast for any of the candidates was thirty-three, and the lowest fifteen. All the officers were unanimously elected: Justice of the peace, John Campbell; burgess, G.W. Lias; town council, H.L. Spencer, George Kline; school directors, W. W. Caldwell, Wesley Pontius; overseers of the poor, Thomas P. Ormond, J. R. Cornick; assessor, J. T. Smith; judge of election, R. L. Marshall; inspectors of election, John Beck, S. W. Marshall; auditor, A. J. Thompson; constable, G.B. Roof.
The assessment list for 1876: Ministers, 4; teachers, 5; principal orphan school, 1; physicians, 2; students, 4; postmaster, 1; law student, 1; agents, 2; clerks, 2; farmers, 17; press farmer, 1; laborers, 10; merchants, 4; hotelkeepers [sic], 2; blacksmiths, 2; carpenters, 9; harnessmakers, 2; furniture dealer, 1; plasterer, 1; painters, 2; tailors, 2; tinner, 1; teamster, 1; shoemakers, 2; wagonmakers, 2; wheelwright, 1.
The number of taxables the same year, 122, from which the population is estimated to be 561. The vote of the inhabitants of this place is included in that of Wayne township.
The postoffice was established here July 13, 1855. James McQuown was its first postmaster.
ORIGIN OF NAME
The origin of the name of this municipality is this: On a certain evening, probably in 1849, when there were only about three buildings on the territory which it now covers, there was a small assemblage of persons then residing here and in this vicinity, at the store of Guyer & Laughlin. One topic of conversation on that occasion was the name which should be given to this point, then a mere hamlet, which, it was expected, would in time become a town. The main object was to select a name which had not been given to any other place, or at least to any postoffice, in this state. Some one present, it is not remembered who, suggested Dayton, which name, it is thought by the writer�s informant, occurred to the suggestor by reason of some mental association of his with Dayton, Ohio. If such is its derivation, it is, like the name of the township from which it was organized, mediately [sic] connected with the achievements of Gen. Wayne, for his victories over, and his treaty with, the Indians immediately led to the foundation of Dayton in Ohio, which was named after Jonathan Dayton, who was one of the agents who effected a purchase for John Cleve Symmes of 248,000 acres from the United States, on a part of which is the site of that place, which is a part of the land for the purchase of which Dayton, St. Clair, Wilkinson and Ludlow contracted with Symmes in seventeen days after Wayne�s treaty with the Indians was made. Jonathan Dayton was a citizen of New Jersey, and was speaker of the house of representatives in the Congress of the United States from December 7, 1795, until March 3, 1799.____________________________________________________________
*Deed book No. 43, p.227 et seq., Philadelphia.
**Official list of deputy surveyors in the land office. Sketch of Brady's district
among the Brodhead papers, in the possession of E. A. Brodhead, Kittanning.
***Rev. Dr. Eaton's History of the Presbytery of Erie.
****Rev. Dr. Mechlin's Sketches of Glade Run Presbyterian Church.
*****Letter of Joseph Diven to Rev. G.W. Mechlin.
*******For a more detailed history of this pioneer church the reader is referred to Dr. Mechlin's historical sketch of it.
Source: History of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania by Robert Walker Smith, Esq. Chicago: Waterman, Watkins & Co., 1883.
Transcribed January 2001 by Linda Mockenhaupt for the Armstrong County Smith Project.
Contributed by Linda Mockenhaupt for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)
Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to the Historical Index
Return to the Smith Project
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project