- ALBRIGHT, HENRY, WILMOT posted by Dori Cass on Friday, September 1, 2000
- Am looking for all information on the lines of Margaret Wilmot b. 1823 and her daughter Margaret Wilmot Henry b. 1862. Also seeking any info on Linus Henry b. approx. 1860 or so. Michael Albright b.1881. Have discovered a direct connection to Wilmot Family Folder. Am having trouble finding info on Albright and Henry.
- BUZZARD, LEIGHLY, MCCAIN posted by Margie Harris on Friday, September 1, 2000
- Lookin for information of the following McCain families. Abner McCain - Valley Twp. married Catherine Leighly 1851. William R. McCain - Valley Twp. married Sybllis Jane Buzzard of Madison Twp. John McCain of Manor Twp. and Cavit McCain of Kittanning Twp. Would appreciate any help you may be able to give me. Margie
- BARRETT, SCHMIDT, SMITH posted by Debbie Candiotti on Saturday, September 2, 2000
- Am looking for Rosann Barret Smith and George Smith in Brady's Bend. Rosann's parents were John and Catherine Barrett. George Smith's father was Jacob Schmidt. Smith's came from Baden, Germany in 1850 when George was 10 years old. George married Rosann about 1864 or 1865 as first child (my gg grandfather)was born 2/12/1866.
- COCHRAN, FULTON, WILSON posted by Betty Jane Garcia on Saturday, September 2, 2000
- Am searching for families of David A. Fulton, died Armstrong Co, 1897; His wife, Christena Wilson Fulton who may be the daughter of Greenberry Wilson. Also searching for connection of Wilson with Robert and Catherine Risher Cochran. Thanks for any help. All lived in or near Apollo, Armstrong Co., Pa.
- MCCLOSKEY, MCCLOSKY posted by Chuck Sherrill on Monday, September 4, 2000
- has anyone ever heard of mccloskey in armstrong county. supposedly in or around Parker or Parkers Landing. 1880s & 1890s.
- DUNMIRE, HANCOCK, STEFFEY posted by Kathy Walker on Monday, September 4, 2000
- I am serching for information about Sarah Dunmire Steffey. Sarah's parents are Solomon and Margaret Hancock Dunmire. They lived in Kiskiminetas Twp., Armstrong Cty., PA. Sarah married Conrad Steffey. They had seven children: Isaac L., Edward William, Jacob, Sarah A., James, John, and Elizabeth. Please contact me if you know of this family. Thank you.
- ALBRIGHT posted by Dori Cass on Monday, September 4, 2000
- I am looking for ancestors with surname of Albright. Last known ancestor was Michael M. Albright who resided in Apollo Pennsylvania in the late 1800's. If you have any information on any Albright's I would be most interested in viewing. Thank you.
- HAGUE posted by Joan Huber on Tuesday, September 5, 2000
- Request Estate file look-up at Armstrong County Courthouse for Frederick Hague died 17 or 18 August 1905 in Kittanning, PA.
- MARSHALL, SALLINGER posted by Jinny on Tuesday, September 5, 2000
- Looking for info on my gg grandfather. Robert Gouvenor Marshall and his wife Rosanna Margaret Sallinger.2 of their grandchildren were born on Fox Farm, Armstorng Co. Pa. Where was the Fox Farm?
- FREY, SHRADER posted by Margaret Gagliardi on Sunday, September 10, 2000
- I am looking for information on Margaret (FREY) SHRADER and her husband Robert SHRADER who lived in Leechburg, Armstrong Co, PA in 1912.
- CLAYPOOLE posted by Michael Stewart on Sunday, September 10, 2000
- Hi, I would be interested in hearing from any Claypoole researchers out there who have an interest in James Claypool b. 1743, the founder of the Armstrong Co. branch. I have come across a deed record from 1808 (but not recorded until 1837 to confuse us poor genealogists!) which I believe gives the name of his second wife as Rachel. His probate records clearly indicated the presence of a widow but did not name her. Tradition has the first wife Lucretia dying at the hands of the Indians in 1796. Evelyn Claypoole Bracken, a well published and diligent Claypoole researcher, does not mention this Rachel so I raise this with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Anybody else have any thoughts pro or con here? Any input is appreciated.
- EDMONDS posted by Kathy Elling on Monday, September 11, 2000
- Anyone have info on my great-grandfather, William H. Edmonds, b. 9 Aug 1829 in Wexford Co., Ireland, came to Brady's Bend, Armstrong Co, PA abt. 1850 at age 21. My only info is from letter of his son, W.H.Edmonds of Bruin, PA in 1933, who says Wm. worked in Brady's Bend as a "pudler", making wrought iron from metal, from which they rolled railroad rails, "the first in this country". Wm.& wife had 4 sons, Andrew, W.H.,George (a telegrapher) and ?. Bought a farm, moved onto it when iron business began to lag. Farm underlaid by coal & oil. Some time before 1878 he moved to Bruin. Wm. H. had 5 brothers and 2 sisters; 3 brothers came to U.S. but one went back. Please help!
- REINARZ, REITLER posted by Barbara Bittinger on Tuesday, September 12, 2000
- I am interested in information on the families of John REITLER (born Johann Friedrich in Stolberg, Germany) and his brother Christian Reitler. They settled in Ford City in 1888. John immigrated with his wife Anna Suzanna REINARZ REITLER and their 4 children: George Friedrich(Fritz), Johann August Gotthilf(August), Albertine, and Herman. I don't know for sure who Christian immigrated with. I need more information on Christian's side of the family and will share what I have with anyone who needs it. I now have 7 generations on my file.
- DELCROUIX, FRY, NEMACHE, PECK, REITLER, SHARRER posted by Barbara Bittinger on Tuesday, September 12, 2000
- I need information on the PECK family of Ford City. I know that Milton PECK and Elizabeth SHARRER moved from either Virginia or West Virginia. Thet had 8 children: Buelah Peck FRY, Ivan Peck, James Peck, Glydys Peck DELCROUIX, Rovena Peck REITLER, Garnet Peck NEMACHE, Vernon Peck and Lucy Peck who died in childhood. I would appreciate any information on this family especially where Milton came from and the name of his father. T
- BARR, BOSLEY posted by Abi on Wednesday, September 13, 2000
- I am looking for records on John William Bosley and Alice Rebecca Barr they had a son Jesse William Bosley on June 2, 1895 (he was my great grandfather, who I miss a lot) Thanks for any help!
- MCCOLGIN, TOTTEN posted by Sara Stewart on Thursday, September 14, 2000
- Looking for information about Thomas McCOLGIN (abt 1800-aft 1850), who m. Mariah TOTTEN (1795-1873) in 1823. Children were: John Totten (b aft 1823); Almira (b aft 1823); Thomas Dubois (1827-1918); Caroline Adelia (1829-1916); Ann Maria (abt 1833-1916); and Lydia Angeline (b abt 1834). Family bible of parents of Mariah TOTTEN was supposedly in the hands of Thomas Dubois McCOLGIN in 1874 - would like to find Bible as well. Thomas Sr. born in Ireland, moved to Pittsburgh PA, met Mariah and moved to Armstrong Co., PA near Rural Valley. Any help appreciated!
- EDWARDS, MCGINNIS posted by Kathy on Thursday, September 14, 2000
- I AM LOOKING FOR INFO ON ROSANA EDWARDS B.1832. SHE MARRIED A JESSIE MCGINNIS B.1828. THEY WERE MARRIED ABOUT 1847. THEY WERE FOUND ON THE WAYNE TWP. ARMSTRONG CO CENSUS IN 1860. I CAN'T FIND THEM BEFORE OR AFTER. THERE WERE 5 CHILDREN AND THE BIRTH NOTICES FOR THE CHILDREN SAY THEY WERE BOTH FROM PA BUT I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING ELSE ON THEM. ANY INFO WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS, KATHY
- ARMSTRONG, MCSHERRY posted by Cathy Weaver on Friday, September 15, 2000
- I am looking for information concerning the parents of George Armstrong. He was born 6/14/1814 in Ireland or Scotland. He married Eliza Mcsherry (b. 1816). They lived in what is presently Clinton County, PA and had a son named Thomas Armstrong. I will be happy to share any information. Thank you.
- CLARK, KERR, KIRK posted by Kathy on Saturday, September 16, 2000
- Researching Cora E. Kirk, b. 1862, m. James Miller Clark c. 1881, d. April 1889, in Armstrong Co., PA. Cora E. Kirk and James Miller Clark (1856-1912) had the following children: Mary, b. c 1882 m. ? Kerr Samuel 1883 - 1883 Charles W. 1884 - 1887 James M. 1885 - 1887 All burials at Worthington Lutheran Church cemetery, Main St., Worthington, Armstrong Co., PA. Looking for parents, siblings and daughter Mary of Cora.
- CLARK, COLWELL, MILLER, MINTEER, SOMERVILLE posted by Kathy on Saturday, September 16, 2000
- Researching family of William Henry Miller, born in Ireland, settled in Mifflin Co., Pa., and had the following children: Moses, William, Jackson, James, Martha, Ann, Phoebe, and Caroline. His son James moved to Armstrong Co. in 1847.
According to pages 902 - 903 "Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present," J. H. Beers & Co., 1914, James Miller married Eliza Strunk, of Mifflin county, Pa., and they had three children: William Henry, Mary Jane, and Caroline.
William married Edith King, the daughter of Joseph Cheyney and Margaretta (Zink) King. They had the following children: Anna, Mrs. James Wiley, who lives at Kittanning; James who is now a resident of Pittsburgh; Joseph of West Kittanning, Cora, wife of Charles Meals; William, who died at the age of 11 months; Charles, of Detroit, Mich.; Laura, at home; and Pearl who died when 2 yrs. old. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are member of the Methodist Church.
Mary Jane Miller, born 15 Feb. 1835, married Samuel Morrison Clark 9 January 1855, at the house of James Miller, Franklin Twp., Armstrong Co., Pa., and died 9 August 1928. Samuel Clark was born 28 Sept. 1828, Slate Lick, Armstrong Co., Pa. and died 22 Jan. 1912. They are buried at the Lutheran Church cemetery, Main St., Worthington, Armstrong Co., PA. They had the following children: James Miller Clark b. 1856, who married (1) Cora E. Kirk, (2) Julia Riley (Reilly); Caroline P., b. 1858, m. ? Colwell; Alice May b. Jan. 1859, m. ? Somerville (Summerville); Hamilton Samuel, b. 1861; Mary E., b. c. 1862; Lydia (Lida) b. 1863, m. William Minteer; Cora Jane, b. 1 Mar 1866, m. William Bruner; Frank L. b. 1868; Henry M. 1872 - 1886; Arthur J. 1875-1891; and Olive B. 1878-1879.
- ANTHONY, ROUDEBUSH, RUFFANER posted by Michael Gowetski on Monday, September 18, 2000
- Does anyone have any information on the parents or siblings and their families of Gideon Ezra Anthony of Slate Lick, Armstrong Co.
2 sisters (unknown)
1 brother (Labon)
Gideon Ezra Anthony
Birth: 4 Apr 1873
Death: 17 Aug 1949
Spouse: Sarah Elizabeth ROUDEBUSH
Birth: 9 Jun 1872
Death: 16 Oct 1948
Father: Alexander Roudebush (-1899)
Mother: Elizabeth RUFFANER (1847-~1915)
AKA Sally May
Harry William (1897-1897)
Milda Jane (1904-1999)
Birth: 9 Jan 1876
Death: Apr 1964
Spouse: Eliza Roudebush
Birth: Nov 1879
Father: Alexander Roudebush (-1899)
Mother: Elizabeth Ruffaner (1847-~1915)
Children: Pauline of Kittanning, PA Two brothers Anthony married two sisters Roudebush.
- LYTLE, SPEELMAN, SPIELMAN posted by Chris Douglas on Tuesday, September 19, 2000
- Am looking for info on Christina Speelman Lytle's parents. I believe her father was George Speelman, who lived in Armstrong Co, PA. Christina was born in 1854 and died 10/16/1933. I believe I saw a tombstone in Spring Church yrs. ago for her brother, George, who served in the PA Calvary. I am told that Christina Speelman Lytle had a sister Josephine, who had married a Kunkle. Can anyone help me?
- LYTLE posted by Chris Douglas on Tuesday, September 19, 2000
- Looking for info on Constantine W. E. Lytle, who was born in Venango Co, PA on 3/20/1846 and died in Apollo, Pa on 3/9/1898. He was a constable in Apollo, and an agent for Pinkerton's (or some other similar agency) and was paid a large sum of money for solving a case involving people from Ireland. I have been unable to find info on his parent's names or this case, although I am told there was once a newspaper article concerning this. He served as constable in Apollo in the late 1880's-1890s.
If anyone has any information on this man, please share it. He has eluded my attempts to trace his line since 1983. He was my great grandfather.
I have also been told that his mother may have come to Apollo and remarried someone with the last name of Henry. I think her name may have been Margaret.
- COLLER posted by Michael Gowetski on Tuesday, September 19, 2000
- I am looking for information on the ancestors of Joel Coller of Armstrong Co., PA 1 Joel Solomon? Coller
Birth: 1832, NY
Death: 29 Aug 1863, Rocky Gap, Greenbriar, WV
Burial: 1863, White Sulphur Springs, WV
Father: John Coller
Private and Corporal, Company L, 14 PA Cavalry
According to Betty Coller Brown Wathen, Joel Coller was killed at the Second Battle of Bull Run. Enlistment papers states born in NY state. Widow got a pension of $3/month plus $1 for each boy. She remarried but boys did not like new husband. The 3 boys and the oldest boy's wife lived together.
Spouse: Catherine Jane Peters
Birth: 29 Aug 1835, Leasureville, Butler, PA
Death: 29 Sep 1931, Winfield Twp., Butler, PA
Burial: 1 Oct 1931, Fisk Chapel, Winfield Twp., Butler, PA
Father: John F. Peters (1809-1895)
Mother: Christina Jane Leasure (1811-1884)
Norman Kirkland (1856-1932)
James Emmon (1859-1944)
Joel Elsworth (1863-)
1.1 Norman Kirkland Collier
Birth: 9 Dec 1856
1.2 James Emmon Coller
Birth: 29 Dec 1859, Log cabin back of Leasureville, PA
Death: 2 Feb 1944, Sewickley, Allegheny, PA
Burial: 7 Feb 1944, Fisk Chapel, Winfield Twp., Butler, PA
Spouse: Martha Ellen Myers
Birth: 10 Sep 1864, South Buffalo Twp., PA
Death: 20 Sep 1958, Sewickley, Allegheny, PA
Burial: 20 Sep 1958, Fisk Chapel, Winfield Twp., Butler, PA
Father: Elijah Myers
Mother: Levina Shearer (1843-)
Raymond Roy (1894-1974)
Effie L. (1888-1983)
Laura R. (1889-)
Maude P. (1891-)
Wesley J. (1893-1965)
Clyde E. (1896-1898)
Carl Howard (1900-1996)
Beulah Hazel (1905-1919)
1.3 Joel Elsworth Collier
Birth: 6 Mar 1863, PA
- BEALE, BRICKER, COLLER, DAVIES, EVERHEART, HAINES, KEESLY, MYERS, SERTON, SHEARER posted by Michael Gowetski on Tuesday, September 19, 2000
- I am looking for information on the ancestors and siblings of Elijah Myers of Armstrong Co., PA.
Spouse: Levina SHEARER
Birth: 14 Oct 1843
Father: Henry Shearer (1823-1898)
Mother: Anna Catherine Klingensmith (1825-1920)
W. Harvey Myers
Birth: 25 Mar 1862 Armstrong, Co., PA
Spouse: Isabel SERTON
Martha Ellen Myers
Birth: 10 Sep 1864 South Buffalo Twp., PA
Death: 20 Sep 1958 Sewickley, Allegheny, PA
Spouse: James Emmon COLLER
Birth: 1871 PA
Death: Feb 1956 PA
Spouse: Mabel HAINES
John H. Myers
Birth: 1878 PA
Death: 1936 PA
Spouse: Eva BRICKER
Birth: abt 1880 Freeport, Armstrong, PA
Spouse: Ira Sankey BEALE
Henry Frank Myers
Birth: 19 Apr 1884 Armstrong, Co., PA
Spouse: Iva E. A. DAVIES
Spouse: John EVERHEART
Spouse: George KEESLY
Mary Jane Myers
- AUGUSTINE, GALECKI, GOWETSKI, POLINSKI, SHAYKA posted by Michael Gowetski on Thursday, September 21, 2000
- I am looking for information on the ancestrors, siblings and descendants of Adam Galecki / Gowetski of Ford City / Kittanning, Armstrong Co., PA.
Death: 1934 PA
Spouse: Frances POLINSKI
Death: 1940 PA
Stanley Walter Gowetski
Birth: 15 Feb 1901 Tyler, Clearfield, PA
Death: 16 Dec 1985 Porter Memorial Hospital, Valpariso, IN
Spouse: Pauline SHAYKA
Bernard J. Gowetski
Birth: 22 Otc 1896 Death: Mar 1982 Kittanning, Armstrong Co., PA
Spouse: Allice Bentley
Birth: 25 Jan 1903
Death: Oct 1987 PA
Spouse: John AUGUSTINE
Death: Kittanning, Armstrong Co., PA
Adam had a brother named John.
- BECK, GOWETSKI, SHAYKA, SZYJKA posted by Michael Gowetski on Thursday, September 21, 2000
- I am looking for information on the ancestrors, siblings and descendants of Alex Shayka / Szyjka of Ford City / Kittanning, Armstrong Co., PA.
Death: 1935 PA
Spouse: Eva Pohorily
Birth: abt 1884
Death: abt 1952 PA
Birth: 25 Oct 1908 Krywe, Ukraine
Death: 2 Feb 1994 Highlands Ranch, CO
Spouse: Stanley Walter GOWETSKI
Birth: 23 Nov 1914 Ford City, PA
Death: 8 Jun 1977 Dearborn, MI
Spouse: Stella BECK
Birth: 1905 Ukraine
Spouse: Steve Shanayda
Notes for Alex Shayka
Alexius Shayka was his American name.
Oleksa Szyjka was his name in Poland / Ukraine.
Notes for Eva Pohorily
Fawdocha Szyjka was her married name in the Ukraine.
Sailed from Bremen to Philadelphia as Port of Arrival, 28 Jan 1914.
- FRY posted by Jesse Bartlett on Friday, September 22, 2000
- Anyone having knowledge of the Fry family history in Pennsylvania before 1870.
- DEMOUND, GRIFFIN posted by Barbara Roos on Sunday, September 24, 2000
- Looking for information on Patric Griffin and his wife Prudence DeMound. Had 5 children between 1856 and 1866. Lived in Perry Township area. He was an oil operator.
- HETSELGESSER posted by June Moore on Sunday, September 24, 2000
- When did the Hetselgessers come to this country?Were they soldiers from Prussia, who came to fight for the British but decided to say inAmerica? William Hetselgesser is an ancestor,
- BARNHART, BOWSER, EARLEY, HAYS posted by Kathy on Monday, September 25, 2000
- Looking for Earl J. Bowser, b. 19 Mar 1895, d. Oct. 1975, in Butler, PA, married abt 1918 to Margaret M. Barnhart, b. 2 Oct. 1902, in W. Franklin Twp., Armstrong Co., daughter of Matilda Hays and possibly Daniel W. Barnhart. She died 17 April 1981 in Armstrong Co., PA, and buried at Worthington Presbyterian Church cemetery, Worthington, PA. Earl and Margaret had two children, a unknown son, and Dorothy, b. 2 Nov. 1920, d. Jan. 1982 and was married to Frank Earley abt. 1940.
- BOONE, MILLER, ROSS posted by Susan Krepps on Tuesday, September 26, 2000
- My gr grandparents were Robert Scott Boone(1866-1936) and Edith Susan (Miller) Boone(1873-1962). I am searching for info on Robert Boone whose father may have been Charles. Robert also had an uncle? George Boone who was an Esquire of Patton. Edith's mother was Mary A Ross Miller(1842-1898) and Mary's mother was Hannah Ross Louder who was a widow with several children when she married Israel Louder. I am searching for siblings of Mary Ross, the name of Mr. Ross,etc.
- CAMPBELL posted by Pegi Nelson on Tuesday, September 26, 2000
- Still trying to confirm the parents of Margaret Campbell Benn,b 1829 and her known siblings Ann,born 1819, Charlotte and Robert. New info from the 1850 census, Madison Twp, Armstrong Co. lists...John Campbell age 53, Elizabeth 52, Robert 19, Charlotte 14, George 10 and Luvinia 8. I believe this may be the family of Margaret and Ann who moved to Clarion County and were listed in Curllesville in 1850. They were reported as coming from the Kellersburg area. Any help in confirming this data or further info would be greatly appreciated,we have looked for years.
- LINSENBIGLER posted by Mari Toole on Thursday, September 28, 2000
- Trying to sort out the early LINSENBIGLER descendants. It is my belief that the first, JACOB DANIEL, b. 1775, came to Westmoreland Co., subsequently ARMSTRONG Co., in 1798 with his mother Anna Elizabeth and his brother JOHN b. 1777 from Montgomery Co., PA. A few years later another relative JACOB joined them. (Source: deeds and census) They were all descendants of Paulus Linsenbigler (also spelled LYNTZENBEIGHLER and any other way that remotely sounded like LINSENBIGLER) who came to America on the ship "Pennsylvania Merchant", John Stedman, Master, from Rotterdam with his wife Maria Agatha. He qualified September 11, 1732. (Pennsylvania Archives series 2, Vol 17, p. 45.)
Jacob Daniel went by DANIEL when he lived in Montgomery Co. and JACOB after he moved.
Many of the LINSENBIGLERS I have corresponded with in Armstrong and Westmoreland Co. are descended from WILLIAM(s). Does anyone know how these Williams fit in to this picture?
- SPENCER posted by Regina Bendle on Thursday, September 28, 2000
- I'm looking for information on my Mother's G-G-Grandfather. His name was Daniel F. Spencer. He was born Jan 5, 1837 according to family notes. His family located in Armstrong County sometime in the 1850's. Eliza H. is his widow on Civil War pension records, but perhaps not mother of 2 sons George William Spencer and John A. Spencer. I believe the sons were born in Armstrong Co. Perhaps he was married there as well. Daniel F. Spencer died in 1905.
- AMBROSE, DARLINGTON, DOUGHERTY posted by Sara Stewart on Friday, September 29, 2000
- Seeking info on Robert DOUGHERTY (1790-1876) and his wife Margaret (abt 1792-1874). Margaret's surname may be DARLINGTON. Lived in West Franklin Twp and both are buried in West Glade Run Presbyterian Church cemetery. Children: Margaret Ann (1837-1897) m. Joseph Ritner AMBROSE; Rebecca Jane (1832-1888) m. Frank AMBROSE; James (no futher information); and Harvey (abt 1838-1895) m. Nancy M. (surname unknown). Another possible child is "S.F. Dougherty" (1837-1870), buried next to Rebecca and Frank AMBROSE in Cowansville Cemetery.
- ATWOOD, MCAFOOSE, POLLICK, POLLOCK, STOUFFER posted by Melissa Pollick on Saturday, September 30, 2000
- Looking for relatives in Kittanning. Just starting research.
- GEPPERT posted by Ruthie Blystone on Saturday, September 30, 2000
- I am just starting to trace the Geppert Family Line. This is my husbands family, his Grandfather's name was Erich Geppert, his Grandmother's name was Clara Marie Baker Geppert. They were from the Apollo area. Any information would be greatly welcomed. Thank-you.
Return to the Query/Surname Archive Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project