- ARNER, SNOW, STAGER, STEIGER posted by Judy Hartman on Thursday, June 1, 2000
- I am looking for information on Mary Bell Snow who was was born in Armstrong County in 1876. She was adopted as a child. On her marriage license application it lists her parents as being Jack and Annie Snow. I have an obituary for an Elizabeth Snow that lists that she never had any children but adopted one daughter. I'm trying to figure out what Marys birth name was. I don't know if it was Stager/Steiger, or Snow. I have pictures with both spellings of Steiger on them. And pictures that say Mary Bell Steiger Snow, and one that says Mary Bell Snow Steiger. One of her daughters social security applications lists her mothers maiden name as Stager. Family history has it that she was of Native American descent, Cherokee we believe, and that her birth parents were killed in a fire when they home burned. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I will be happy to share what info I have.
- CARMODY, EDLER, HECKEL posted by Shelba Davis on Thursday, June 1, 2000
- How was Mina Carmody related to Nicholas Heckel and/or his wife Mary Jane Elder? On a census, she is listed as "step granddaughter". While Mary Jane's parents James Elder and Jeanetta Hagan were living near Tarrtown, E. Franklin Twp., newpaper items mention Mina visiting there. By 1920, Mary Jane Heckel and daughter Stella Orr (widow of Walter Orr)were in Santa Monica CA. Living around the corner from them was Mina. How do they all tie together?
- BARGER posted by Shelba Davis on Thursday, June 1, 2000
- Was/is there a Criswell Cemetery near Queenstown? National Archives "Card Recordof Headstones Provided For Deceased Union Civil War Veterans c1879-c1903 shows:
Barger, Phillip Loffer (sic)
Pvt. Co. A,11th Regt.
Cemetery CRISWELL at(Parker's Landing marked out;an X placed above at)Armstrong Co., PA Grave (here another X placed above grave)Queenstown
Date of Death: Aug. 18, 1888
Headstone supplied by: Vermont Marble Co., Proctor, Vermont
His wife Nancy Elder Barger buried at Bear Creek Cem. near Petrolia, PA. and descendants thought Phllip Lauffer Barger buried there also. Any infomation?
- STEFFENBERG posted by Patty Cunningham on Saturday, June 3, 2000
- Willliam Steffenberg - Penn vol Corps -- PVT.CO.A.3,Reg.Inf My great great grandfather - looking for roots....
- BECK, CLARK, KIRKLAND, MCFADDEN, PAINTER, POWELL posted by John Powell on Sunday, June 4, 2000
- I'm looking to share info on Powell, Kirkland, McFadden, Painter, Beck and Clark families.
The region of PA includes Armstrong Co., Jefferson Co. & Westmoreland Co.
Isaac Kirkland, Lowery Kirkland, William Oscar Powell, Gertrude Beck, Eva Mcfadden, John Samuel Painter, Harriett Clark Painter, Kate (Clark) Painter.
- OREY, ORY, UHRIG, UREY posted by Karen Patterson on Monday, June 5, 2000
- I need to know how to acquire an estate record from Armstrong Co. Peter Oury, estate # 5647
- CAMPBELL, COX, RAY posted by Jesse Cox on Thursday, June 8, 2000
- On 18 Apr 1839 William Maskal Cox wed Cathrine Ray of Halfmoon Twsp, Centre Co. In 1848 he wed Jane Campbell and resided on a deeded farm in Rural Valley, Cowanhannock Twsp.They sold the farm in 1871 and moved to Where? The 1860 census reported 8 childern. Three more were born later. Of which my line appears. 1860 census childern were John age 21 (Civil War Vet) Mary-16, Isabella-10, David B-8, William A-6, Susanna-4, George A-2. Later childern Alonzo James, James Addison and William A Cox. I have more details. I am looking for both ends of this query.
- SCHICK, SHICK, TOBIAS posted by Mike O'Shea on Saturday, June 10, 2000
- My wife is a descendant of Tobias Shick through his son William's line. William was married twice, 1st time to Anna Harmon who had two children, Rebecca and Albert Uriah, both born in Armstrong Co. Rebecca died young and Albert grew to manhood, married and had a family. His mother Anna died in St.Joseph Co., Michigan and is buried near Moore Park, Michigan. William married 2nd to Elizabeth Hartrnaft in or around Schoolcraft, Cass Co., Michigan. They had an additional eight children. William was born June 10,1822 in Armstrong Co. and died October 31, 1891 in Marcellus, Michigan. He is buried in Bly cemetery at Marcellus. Mary was born at McEwenville, Northumberland Co., Pa on January 13, 1837 and died in Battle Creek, Michigan on March 31, 1920. She is buried beside William in Bly cemetery. I have a fairly complete family tree on William and his family, but lack anything before him other than the fact he was the son of Tobias. Would like to touch base with anyone of Tobias's lines to make a connection. Would also like to know if the family in the 1850 Census are Williams siblings and when and where Tobias and his wife died. I'm willing to share all the information I have please just contact me.
- GUIDA posted by Anna on Sunday, June 11, 2000
- Am trying to locate the cemetary grave of James V. DeAngelo who was buried somewhere in New Bethlehem area.He had a wife named Norma. Am not certain if she is still living? They had an Rd McWilliams address. Would appreciate any info. Anna Guida
- BISCHOFF, BISHOFF, BISHOP posted by A. Kaliszewski on Monday, June 12, 2000
- Seeking info on & descendants of: George Karl F. Bischoff b 1857 in Cantreck, Germany came to U.S.A. at age 14 d 1928 in Kittanning, Pa (Armstrong County) m Hannah Susannah Schrecengost(Schreckengeist)1880 in Girty's Run, Shaler Township, Pa had 10 children: C.E.(?),William, George, Lloys,Elsie,Samuel(died young)Mary Hanna Schrecengost,Joseph B.,Lester L.,Olive Belle McCanna (married and had children)
- LIAS, WELLS posted by Deb Soda on Tuesday, June 13, 2000
- I am looking for the family of William Wells b.c 1814 and wife Ann (?)b. c1814, from the Cowanshannock area. Some of their children are Jacob b. c1836, George b. c1843, Nancy b. c1844, Margaret b. c1847 and Nathaniel b. c1849. I believe they also had a daughter Elizabeth Ann b. 1855, she is my gr.gr.grandmother and I am having no luck finding any information on her. She was married to Leander Lias s/o Jacob Lias and Susannah Schrecengost. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
- CHILCOT, COLE, COOLEY, PEARCE, PIERCE, PITT, PITTS posted by Bobbie Reihsen on Wednesday, June 14, 2000
- Looking for Joseph Pitt/s from Allegheny Co. PA, whose daughter Jane Pitt/s married Thomas Pearce about 1810-1815. She would have been born around 1790-1800. Thanks for any help on PITTS OR PEARCE OR PIERCE. Bobbie
- KEENER posted by June Moore on Wednesday, June 14, 2000
- I am decendant from John Keener ( born 1804) of Armstrong County, PA. He married Sarah Hetselgesser. Does anyone know anything about either the Keener family or the Hetselgessers? The Keeners came from Switzerland before the Rev. War but I can't find information back that far.
- CAMP, HALL posted by Robert Mapes on Thursday, June 15, 2000
- Ephraim Porter Hall married Leah Camp on March 7, 1857. In the 1860 census, they are in Pine Twp. Ephraim enlisted in the 78th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry in the spring of 1865. During his 90 day service, he contracted cronic diahrea, with which he suffered the rest of his life. Leah and 2 children are killed in a kerosene explosion on Febuary 4, 1867. Really could use parents, obits, newspaper articles, anything at all about these people. We are at a dead end.
- FLICK, HILLIARD, RIEGLE, RIMER posted by Bruce Koons on Friday, June 16, 2000
- I am researching descendants of Jacob RIMER (REIMER) and Elizabeth HILLIARD (HILGERT) who moved to Toby Twp., Armstrong Co., PA about 1810 from Northampton Co., PA. Jacob and Elizabeth are descended from the immigrants Valentine REIMER and Franz HILGERT. One of Jacob and Elizabeth's sons, John, married Margaret RIEGLE, daughter of Henry and Margaret (FLICK) RIEGEL. The RIEGLEs and FLICKs also came from Northampton Co.
- LAIDACKER posted by Jeannie Calhoun on Friday, June 16, 2000
- looking for laidacker\ leidecker family .
- HOAK, JOHNS, NOEL, PEARCE, PIERCE, STEFFEY, STIFFY posted by Kathy Walker on Saturday, June 17, 2000
- I am searching for information about Conrad Steffy. He was born in Virginia moved to Westmoreland Cty., PA. His son, Conrad, died in Kiski Twp., Armstrong Cty., in 1886. He is buried in the Marysville Cemetery.
I am searching for the wife and children of Conrad Steffy Sr. and the wife and children of Conrad Steffy Jr.
I believe that this is the line:
Conrad Steffy Sr. b. abt 1757 in Virginia
Conrad Steffy Jr. b. 1816 in PA
Edward William b. 1850 in PA
William Conrad b. 1883 in PA
Vivien Gean Steffey b. 1926 in PA
Please contact me if you know of this family.
- MILLER posted by Helen Miller on Saturday, June 17, 2000
- Looking for any information about the children of Balser and Katherine Miller who immigrated from Germany in 1851. Sons: Adam, James, John and George. Daughters: Mary Montgomery, Sarah Criswell and Margaret Clark. All are buried in the Tidal Union Cemetery.
- GRESOCK, KUZMA, MARGETTA, SARGENT posted by Rose Kuzma on Saturday, June 17, 2000
- We have a website Geocities.com/kuzmafamily All the above names came from Sagamore, PA and then moved to Erie, PA
- JURY posted by Diana Jury Elledge on Saturday, June 17, 2000
- Hi i am researching the family name of JURY i got as far as gggrandfather LEVI JURY born sometime around 1850 somewhere in Pa. buried in MILLERSBURG, DAUPHIN CO. if anyone knows of this person please contact me. thanks in advance Diana Jury Elledge
- CAMPBELL, COX, DELANEY, WILHELM, WILLCOX posted by Jesse Cox on Wednesday, June 21, 2000
- Looking for children of Willaim M Cox and Cathrine Rae, and secound marriage of William Cox to Jane Campbell on Sept14,1848, by Rev. Wm Cooper. James Addison Cox b.Nov 27,1876. William M Cox b.Mar 3,1848 mrd.Pressilla Wilcox on Nov 30,1875 by Rev.Nicolson of Ohio. Elizabeth Cox b.Mar9,1846 Mrd.A W Wilhelm on Sept10,1861,one son Woodward Wilhelm b.Apr12,1862. Mary R Cox b. Feb 6,1844,Mrd.William Delaney on May18,1862 by Rev.Siebert. Robert Cox b.Nov17,1841. Other children,1860 census,: John,Isabella,David B.Susann I, George A.,William A, and Alonzo James B.Dec6,1864.Mrd Jane Campbell on June11,1885 in Mt Pleasent,Westmoreland Co. All the above resided in Armstrong Co.I have in-depth information on Alonzo James Cox.
- BLAKNEY, HOPKINS, MCMANUS, PORTER, SHANK, SLONIGER posted by Joyce Eich on Thursday, June 22, 2000
- In Armstrong, Indiana, and Jefferson Counties, searching for the following:
Bessie Ella SLONIGER 1888-1960 m. Emmet McClure BOWSER
Daniel Joseph SLONIGER 1863-1946 m. Mary Hannah MCMANUS 1868-1939
Daniel SLONIGER m. Ellen PORTER
John A. MCMANUS 1836-1904 m. Margaret C. HOPKINS 1843-1913
Daniel SLONIGER m. Nancy Unknown
Robert MCMANUS 1810-1862 m. Margaret BLAKNEY 1816-1893
William HOPKINS b. 1806 m. Mary A. SHANKLE b. 1809
Robert HOPKINS 1781-1859 m. Rosanna PATTERSON 1784-1847
- SCHWENNING, VOGEL posted by Jack Schwenning on Saturday, June 24, 2000
- I am looking for family history of the above surnames.
- BEAL, BEERS, DIXON, KIMBLE, ORR posted by William Beers on Saturday, June 24, 2000
- George R (possibly Reuben) Beal possibly from Armstrong Co
Served Pennsylvania enlisted A Co. 38th Inf Reg PA discharged discability on 07 January 1863 Source- History of Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1865
- SMITH posted by Tonya on Monday, June 26, 2000
- Searching history for Philip Smith - born 1867. Died 1924 . Buried in Widnoon (Madison Twp.) Parents: James Smith, Mary Reedy
- KING posted by Tonya on Monday, June 26, 2000
- Searching for history on Josiah King born 1861, died 1923. Buried in St. Matthew Luth. Cemetery (Rockville) Armstrong County. Wife - Malissa b. 1863, d. 1927.
- MCKENNA posted by Margaret on Tuesday, June 27, 2000
- looking for connections to McMahon origin Ireland. connected family names are:Huges,Flanaghan,Warran. to locate branches of our family tree.Perhaps members who have gone abroad.Mary Huges married Fredrick McMahon around 1930 in Belfast Northern Ireland.They had five children named :Margaret,Kathleen,Patrick(aka paddy),Fredrick,Ann marie.
- FETTER, GRUBER, HIMES, MINICH, SHELLY posted by Mark Shelly on Tuesday, June 27, 2000
- I am interested in information on the family of Jacob Shelly. It appears that he moved to the Sugar Valley area of Redbank Twp abt 1838 from Northampton PA with relatives of his first wife Eva Gruber. She died abt 1848 and is buried in the Alcola cemetery. Jacob Shelly remaried Mary Minich, widow of John Haines. Children included: Rev David Henry Shelly (Gratiot and Ionia MI); Catherine (Yount); Jonas Shelly; Rev Andrew Jacob Shelly (Gratiot MI); Susanna (Dobson, Deithich); Eliza (Sherman, CA); Rev William Shelly (Midland MI); and my ancestor Peter J Shelly (Six Lakes MI). Jacob Shelly helped build the Emmanuel Evangelical Church just south of Hawthorne and is buried in the cemetery on the hill. The church is no longer there.
Peter Shelly married Mary Fetter, daughter of John Fetter and Susannah Himes of Redbank Twp.
- LEVER posted by Woodrow Dixon on Tuesday, June 27, 2000
- Looking for Charles Lever. He moved to Kittaning about 1904 or 1905 and married Mary E. Rosenberger. Married July 1, 1905. He born June 1847. She born about 1858. They show as living in Kittaning in 1910 census but either in 1920. Marriage liciense is at the courthouse. From a statement by his brother I believe he died there. Any help would be appriciated.
- RIMER, SCHRECENGOST posted by Bruce Koons on Wednesday, June 28, 2000
- Mary Ann RIMER, b. ca 1845, daughter of Christian RIMER of Armstrong Co., PA married a James SCHRECENGOST. Was this James the son of William T. SCHRECENGOST or the son of Elias SCHRECENGOST? The first James was James J., b. 1843, the second James A., b. 1847.
- BENNER posted by Pamela Pyle on Thursday, June 29, 2000
- Seeking additional info regarding my 4xgreat grandparents - JOHN & ELIZABETH BENNER - who lived in Armstrong Co. PA in the mid-1800s.
JOHN BENNER was born 8/29/1800 (location unknown) and died 4/2/1881 in Miola, Clarion Co. PA.
ELIZABETH BENNER (maiden name unknown) was born 10/17/1808 (location unknown) and died 2/27/1878 in Miola, Clarion Co. PA.
They had several children, of which I have limited information on three. They were:
SARAH BENNER - who married someone named CRISPIN;
GEORGE BENNER - who served in the Civil War;
MATILDA ANN BENNER - my 3xgreat grandmother (see more info below).
MATILDA BENNER was born 5/19/1850 in Stoyestown, Armstrong Co. PA. She married MARCELLUS G. DeVALLANCE JR. on 3/15/1867 in Highland Township, Clarion Co. PA. She died 1/8/1925 in Miola, Clarion Co. PA. She and Marcellus had four children - Catherine Elizabeth, Mary Abigail, John Lawson, & Marcellus George III.
Would love to hear from anyone with information regarding any of these BENNERs.
- FRANTZ, MILLER, SCHAEFFER, WISSINGER posted by Lydia Grim on Friday, June 30, 2000
- I am looking for the parents of Henry Miller
b. c. 1800 Armstrong Co.
m. Elizabeth Schaeffer 1825
I am also looking for information about his son, John Phillip Miller
b. 7 December 1832 Kittanning, Armstrong Co
D. 22 January 1919
I would like to find information on his second wife, Mary Cook Heilman She was my grandmother's stepgrandmother and from the (limited) correspondence I have between them, they were very close.
Return to the Query/Surname Archive Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project