- GRUBER posted by Marsha Allen on Wednesday, September 1, 1999
- My cousins were wondering if we were related to Rattlesnake Pete, because Elk Twp, Clarion Co, is close to Venango County. I remember that the newspaper article about Rattlesnake Pete GRUBER gave his birthyear, says he grew up in Oil City, of a large family, and that his father ran a Saloon. The 1880 Census for Oil City, Venango County, #29-28 shows
GRUBER, Joseph - 58 yrs old, saloon keeper, born Bavaria and both parents born Bavaria.
Mary - age 49, wife, born Bavaria, both parents born Bavaria.
Peter - age 22, son, saloon keeper, born PA.
Philip - age 20, son, works in saloon, born PA.
Agnes - age 15, attends school, born PA.
Louisa - age 13, attends school, born PA.
Joseph - age 10, death and dumb, born NY, both parents born Bavaria. (why NY listed for birthplace - good question)
I think that Peter, age 22, is Rattlesnake Pete GRUBER. With his parents both born in Bavaria, I feel he is not of my family that were born in Eastern PA and moved to Redbank Twp, Armstrong Co, in the 1830's. Now if we went back a couple more generations, we might connect - but I'm not there yet! .
- SHICK posted by Joyce Sherry on Wednesday, September 1, 1999
- The following families appear in the Redbank Twp 1850 census. Most are in New Salem area. Can anyone place them for me? Parents of Jacob, John, Jonas, Samuel and Rebecca and Joseph? Samuel's family and Rebecca & Joseph appear to be living next to each other. Jacob, John and Jonas are all neighbors to my ggrandfather, Samuel Copenhaver and his first wife, Levina (Kunselman), not my ggrandmother. JACOB SHICK,33
JOHN SHICK, 35
JONAS SHICK, 31
SAMUEL SHICK, 35
Nancy J., 4
Eva Hane (sp ?) 75
REBECCA SHICK, age 18
Joseph Shick, age 34
- GEORGE, SCHAEFFER posted by Tammy Baldwin on Friday, September 3, 1999
- Can anyone help me? I am starting to research my ancestors and have no family help other than my mother who doesn't remember very much beyond her parents. I have found my great-grandfather Henry Alvdore Schaeffer and his first wife Anna. I know his second wife, Sally or Sarah, is the mother of my grandfather but I have not yet found her listed in the graveyard sites. Her first husband was a Brennerman(sp) but I don't know her maiden name. I also know Henry Alvdore's father is also named Henry and his mother is named Margaret (nee GEORGE). I believe they are buried in the Schaeffer cemetery in Burrell Township of Armstrong County but there is no detail of the headstones. My mother believes this cemetery has the Schaeffer's buried in a circle and the tombstones are written in german. I think if I could find out who was buried there, I could find my great-great grandfather and his ancestors. Is there anyone I can contact who would have this information? I THINK the cemetery is re! latively near St. Michael's Lutheran Church Cemetery, A. K. A. Brick Church. I would appreciate all the help you can give me.
- ALLEN, BARGERSTOCK, BITTINGER, CLEVER, ELLENBERGER, FLEMING, HOUSER, MCMILLEN, RUPP posted by Libby Bargerstock-Grimm on Friday, September 3, 1999
- Is there any information on a group of families from Armstrong Co.,Pa. that migrated to Nebraska or Illinois in the 1800's? Looking to homestead the land in the western part of the USA. Looking for a McMillen family that settled in Monmouth, Illinois. about 1859. John Henry Nevis McMillen married Mary Bell "Mamie" Fleming from Armstrong Co. Pa. . John was born in Monmouth, Illinois Sept. 14,1859. They married in Ottowa County, Kansas. Libby .
- BISH, EARLY, FLICK, HILGERT, HILLIARD, RIEGLE, RIMER, VENSEL posted by Bruce Koons on Friday, September 3, 1999
- I have been researching the RIMER and EARLY surnames in Armstrong Co. and I do have an Ethel RIMER (b. 1912) marrying a James BISH. Ethel RIMER's ancestry: John B. RIMER, b. 1884; Daniel RIMER, b. 1857; Jacob C., b. 1826; John, b. 1806; and Jacob, b. 1784, who with his wife Elizabeth HILLIARD (HILGERT) came to Armstrong Co. from Northampton Co., PA around 1810. I do not have the names of James and Ethel BISH's children. Bruce Koons.
- MINICH, MINNICH, THOMAS posted by June Buller on Saturday, September 4, 1999
- My great grandfather was William Thomas, born 1847, in Red Bank Township, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. His father was Jacob Thomas. His mother Keaty, unknown surname. He married Eliza(beth) Minnich, daughter of Jacob MINNICH/MINICH. The family lived in Armstrong County until about 1883 when they moved to Michigan. Is anyone researching either of these families?.
- GEARHART, MILLER, WIKE posted by Eva Doherty Gremmert on Saturday, September 4, 1999
- Emmaline Miller was born 4 Sep 1852 in Ore Hill Furnace, Armstrong Co. She married James Randolph GEARHART who was from Clarion Co. on 10 Sep 1874. Her parents were William P. Miller and Elizabeth Wike both of Pennsylvania. Does anyone have any other information on this family?.
- HENRY, HOOVER, MCCONNELL, REED, RILEY, SPACE, SPINDLER, VANHOUTEN posted by Douglas Henry on Saturday, September 4, 1999
- I am looking for any information about the Tate A. Henry (16feb1827-abt 1899) and Margaret R. VANHOUTEN (1827-) Family. I believe they died in the West Bethlehem or Leatherwood area of present day Clarion Co., PA., former Armstrong co., Here are the children listings any information on them and other family members will be appreciated!
John K. Henry 1sep1854 m. Clara REED
Kathryn Henry 7Feb1856 m ??? HOOVER
Janet Henry 26Fe 1858
Charles J. Henry 22Jul1861 m Annie SPINDLER
Margaret Henry 14Jun1864
Mary Elsie Jane Henry 21Jan1860 m. James HOOVER
William Shiloa Henry* 20Aug1866 m Mary Ella SPACE
Benjamin M. Henry 23Apr1869 m ??? RILEY
*my great grandfather
my ggrandfather is Charles....looking for his wife?
my ggggrandfather is John m. Esther MCCONNELL from Westmoreland co.
- BROCIOUS, DEIBLER, MILLER posted by Joyce Sherry on Sunday, September 5, 1999
- I am wondering if these two Polly Deibler's might be one and the same. I have a Polly DEIBLER, dau of Henry DEIBLER and Rachel MILLER, born abt 1862. Siblings: Charles, George, Amos, Minerva and Caroline Deibler. Polly's mother, Rachel, was sister to my ggrandmother, Margaret Ann, married to Samuel Copenhaver, and sister to my husbands ggrandmother, Caroline, married to Lewis C. Shaffer. I also have a Mary Catherine "Polly" DEIBLER, born August 19, 1861, died November 20, 1899. Married to William BROCIOUS. I'm hoping this Polly is the same as the Polly above. Mary Catherine "Polly" was step-ggrandmother to my husband through the Brocious line. Long story on this family!! Hoping someone can meld these two "Polly's" together for me. Joyce Sherry
- CREACH posted by Jeanne Radford Garner on Monday, September 6, 1999
- looking for my great-grandfather, j.c. (john) CREACH. My grandmother always said she was from pittsburg but never said what state. If you have any info of them in armstrong county, please contact me. i don't mind how small it is, just something. j. c. married s. c. ? in tennessee around 1875-76. they had 7 children. some were born in illinois and some in tennessee. in illinois were born: tilman,effie,bessie they were twins, lillie mae-my grandmother and john. in tennessee charlie was born. charlie was born in 1900 and the youngest. my grandmother said they dug ginseng for a living. please help if you can. thanks in advance jeanne.
- REITER, STEWART posted by Michael Stewart on Monday, September 6, 1999
- Hi, I am interested in corresponding with any out there who may have connections to the immigrant family of John and Magdalene REITER of Armstrong Co. So far I have the following information: Descendants of John Reiter
1 John Reiter - 1850
..+Magdalena 1790 - 1857
.........2 Jacob Reiter 1824 -
....................3 Catherine Reiter 1850 -
.........2 Henry Reiter - 1857
.........2 John D. Reiter 1822 - 1901
.............+Ruth 1832 - 1881
....................3 Henry Edward Reiter 1853 - 1925
....................3 Magdalena Reiter 1857 -
....................3 Elizabeth R. Reiter 1857 - 1884
....................3 Albert A. Reiter 1858 - 1875
....................3 Emma A. Reiter 1863 - 1901
....................3 Luella Reiter 1871 - 1875
.........2 Conrad Reiter 1824 - 1890
....................3 Magdalena Reiter
.........2 George Reiter 1825 - 1891
.............+Hannah 1829 - 1922
....................3 George A. Reiter
....................3 Joseph Reiter
....................3 Martha Ellen Reiter - 1922
....................3 Thomas Benjamin Reiter
....................3 John C. Reiter 1850 - 1885
........................+Emily Ellen 1857 - 1877
....................3 Elizabeth Jane Reiter 1857 - 1887
........................+Albert H. Stewart 1854 - 1887
....................3 Louise A. Reiter 1865 - 1870
- ALDEMAN, ALTMAN, AULTMAN, SMITH posted by Margie Myers on Tuesday, September 7, 1999
- I am looking for information on David Aldeman/Altman/Aultman who lived in Elderton, Armstrong Co., PA. He was born Feb. 7, 1794 and died Jan 4, 1888. He is supposed to be a veteran of the war of 1812, but we cannot find a record of him as David Altman. He was married to Susan or Susannah Smith (born 1798, died 1874). Their children include George (b. 1820), David Jr. (b. 1821), Elizabeth, John, William, Solomon, Lucinda, Delilah, Mary Ann,and Anthony. David Jr. married Elizabeth Shoop. William and Anthony were both married to Mary A. Yingst. Solomon married a Susannah Truby..
- BAUER, BOWERS, BOWSER, SHCRECONGOST posted by Margie Myers on Tuesday, September 7, 1999
- I am looking for information on the ancestors of Lavinia NANCY Bauer or Bowser or Bowers. She was born July 30, 1804 in Kittaning, Armstrong Co., PA. She married Samuel Schrecongost in 1820 in Kittaning. Her last name is spelled differently on her children's death certificates, so we are not sure which is the correct spelling. She died July 30, 1886 in Plum Creek Twp., Armstrong Co., PA. She went by the name of Nancy..
- GRUBER, HILLIARD, HOFFMAN, HUFFMAN posted by Marsha Allen on Wednesday, September 8, 1999
- Catharine HUFFMAN or HOFFMAN, born about 1823-25, married about 1843 to Heinrich or Henry GRUBER, born 10 April 1819, in Northampton Co, PA. He was living in Redbank Twp, Clarion or Armstrong Co., PA. Henry's parents were Johannes GRUBER and Catharine FAUST, living in Redbank Twp. I don't know who her parents are or where she was living. Does anyone know and can help me? Thanks!! Henry and Catharine had 8 children and I sure want to know more about them! I only know the oldest child's spouse.
1) Johannes Franklin GRUBER, b.1844, md. Sarah Jane HILLIARD.
2) George William GRUBER, b.1847, md. ?
3) Joseph GRUBER, b.1849, md.?, d.1867.
4) A. Jacob GRUBER, b.1850/51, md.?
5) Peter J. GRUBER, b.abt 1852/54, md.?
6) Catherine M. GRUBER, b.abt 1855/57, md.?
7) Elizabeth M. GRUBER, b.abt 1858/62, md.?
8) Margaret GRUBER, b.1858, d.1861.
- BISH, NOLF, RUTH posted by Marsha Allen on Thursday, September 9, 1999
- I'm seeking more information on family of Adam D. RUTH, b. 1881, Redbank Twp, to Absaline RUTH and Eva NOLFF; and Annie M. BISH, b. 1886. In the 1910 Census of Redbank Twp, Armstrong Co, they're listed as Adam D. age 29 and coal miner, Annie M. age 24, Myrtle 6, Walter 3, Marabel 1 1/2. Also with them is Sadie A. BISH, age 12, listed as sister-in-law. That's why I think Annie's maiden name is BISH. I would appreciate help with their families and even a living descendant that I could contact. Thanks so very much!
- SHELLY, YOUNT, YOUNTZ posted by Mark Shelly on Thursday, September 9, 1999
- I am looking for information on the ancestors, relatives, and descendants of Solomon Yount. He was born 1824 and died 1894. He is buried in North Freedom. He married Catherine Shelly and lived in Redbank Twp Armstrong Co. I am particularly interested in his relationship to Eva Yount, born abt 1809. Where did his family come from?.
- YATES, YEATES posted by James Yates on Thursday, September 9, 1999
- Looking for any information about the YATES/YEATES family near and around Armstrong, Venango, and Clarion Counties. Especially interested in the lost town of Red Bank Furnace and the civil war career of David Yates of the 10th (39th) Pennsylvania Reserves. Thank you.
- BOYD, WEAVER posted by Kathleen Anthony on Saturday, September 11, 1999
- I am trying to locate William W. Weaver. He married Sarah Boyd. She was born Dec. 1840 in Westmoreland County, PA and moved with her parents to Armstrong County before the 1850 census. I'm guessing that William W. Weaver was also from the same area - but I have nothing more on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
- MCCRACKAN, MCCRACKEN posted by Lisa Strobel on Saturday, September 11, 1999
- Looking for info on my great-great grandfather, George MCCRACKEN (sometimes spelled MCCRACKAN)and his brothers, Nathan and James who were all in the 78th Volunteer Infantry. I believe George and Nathan were in Company F and James was in Company G.
- ANTHONY, LAMBERSON, MERIDITH posted by Kathleen Anthony on Sunday, September 12, 1999
- Susannah J. MERIDITH was born December 18, 1812 and died January 07, 1873. She married John LAMBERSON who was born March 13, 1805 and died January 26, 1861. They lived in the community of Oakland (Distant), Mahoning Township, Armstrong County, PA. They were buried at the Oakland Cemetery. I do not have Susannah's parents or anything more on her. If anyone has any information please let me know. We are related to her daughter, Sarah Ann Lamberson who married William ANTHONY.
- BURKE, EWING posted by Diane on Tuesday, September 14, 1999
- Searching for Thomas EWING who married Rebecca BURKE. She was born in Lawrence Cty around 1815. Any info would be appreciated.
- ADAMS, EDWARDS, REEDY, WEAVER posted by Debbye Conner on Friday, September 17, 1999
- Looking for information on parents of Henry REEDY b 1-27-1808, d 3-24-1881 and Ellen (EDWARDS) Reedy b abt 1806 d ? Both Henry and Ellen are buried in Colwell Cemetery, between Goheenville and Distant, Pa Armstrong County. Their son George Heimbaugh Reedy married Pheobe WEAVER, looking for info on Pheobe's parents also. She was b 5-13-1842, d 11-3-1926. Their daughter Sarah Margaret Reedy married John Winslow ADAMS. Any info on this family would be greatly appreciated. Will share what I have.
- COLEMAN, HEINERLEITER, HINDERLITER, SALADE, SCHWEITZER posted by Pat Crawford on Friday, September 17, 1999
- Is anyone familiar with Johannes COLEMAN who married Susanna SCHWEITZER they had a son named George Jacob Coleman who married Catherine SALADE their daughter Elizabeth Coleman born 1800 married John HEINERLEITER .What happened to Ann Heinerleiter [HINDERLITER] born in 1823?
- BEATTY, HOLLENBAUGH posted by Nancy Walls on Friday, September 17, 1999
- I am looking for siblings of John M. HOLLENBAUGH, if anyone is researching this family please email me. He married Minnie Ruth BEATTY and they lived outside Dayton PA. He was born in 1864 and died 1946 his father's name is possibly George Hollenbaugh!
- COLER, COLLIER, FAIR, LONG, SWANK, WASON posted by Esther Shultz on Saturday, September 18, 1999
- I am looking for information on the following people; 1. John R. LONG -- born 1/20/1843
2. Jacob Long
3. Elizabeth Long who married Robert WASON, lived near Kittanning, Pa. Armstrong Co.,
4. Nancy Long who married Jacob COLER (COLLIER) of Armstrong Co., Pa.
5. Margaret Long who married Harvey FAIR of Armstrong Co., Pa.
6. Etta Long who married ? Russel of Armstrong Co., Pa.
These are the children of John S. Long who was my g-g-g-grandfather, he married Mary A. SWANK daughter of Daniel SWANK both of Westmoreland Co, John S. & Mary moved to Armstrong Co., after they were married. I am willing to share what little info I have with anyone who can help me!
- MITCHELL, WELLS posted by Carol Ward on Saturday, September 18, 1999
- Our ancestor Hester MITCHELL was born 1796 in PA. Her husband John WELLS was born 1793 in Westmoreland Co., PA (possibly later Armstrong co.) We know this from a bible entry from a cousin we "met" thru the internet. I am sharing my research with my 91 year old mom. Any help would be greatly appreciated by us.
- SCHRECENGOST posted by Jerry Schrecengost on Sunday, September 19, 1999
- Searching for all SCHRECENGOST (by any spelling) from Armstrong County, PA or wherever. I have information that I am willing to share. My family goes back to Conrad and then on back to Jeremias Schreckengast, AUE, GERMANY, 1639.
- EISENMANN, HOLIBAUGH, HOLLIBAUGH, HOLLOBAUGH, ISEMAN posted by Monette Taylor on Monday, September 20, 1999
- Looking for the parents of three sisters married to three brothers in Armstrong County PA Elizabeth HOLLOBAUGH, b 1792 m Michael EISENMANN Barbara HOLLIBAUGH m Jacob ISEMAN b 1795 Susan HOLLIBAUGH m George ISEMAN b 1801 Eliabeth was born in Greensburgh, PA and is buried in Crooked Creek Presbyterian.
- MILLIRON, SCHRECENGOST posted by Amanda Foringer on Thursday, September 23, 1999
- i'm looking for information on Leah Schrecengost daughter of John Schrecengost b:1776 d:1820 and Ann Maria Greninger b:1781 d:1850. Leah married Jacob Miliron b:1818 d:1898 and they had four children: Mary Ann b:1840, Sarah, John George b:1844, and Samuel b:1847. does anyone know Leah's birth and death dates and where she is buried? thank you!
- DAVIS, EDWARDS, HOOVER, SHAFFER posted by Phyllis Martin on Monday, September 27, 1999
- Seeking descendants/relatives/information about Joseph HOOVER, he was born about 1830/31 Indiana County/Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. He died May 7, 1893, and is buried St. Johns Lutheran Cemetery, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. He married 1st. Susan SHAFFER, they had 10 children. JOSEPH, married 2nd. Harriet F. EDWARDS, February 8, 1886. Joseph & Harriet had two sons: Oscar O. HOOVER & Arlington Boyd HOOVER. Harriet, married 2nd. Alfred T. DAVIS. I am a descendant of the 1st. Marriage (Joseph Hoover & Susan Shaffer). If these names sound familiar to you please contact me. Would like to share information.
- ALLOTT, SOWERS posted by Eugenia Rasmussen on Monday, September 27, 1999
- I am trying to locate information on my great grandfather, William SOWERS b., abt.1845 in Armstrong County, PA and was buried in Bradys Bend, PA abt.1870 He married Elizabeth Ann ALLOTT in 1862..
- CESNEY, COOK, DAUGHERTY, GREEN, MAXWELL, MCDONALD, WALTERS posted by Bonnie Lee on Tuesday, September 28, 1999
- I'm looking for information on Jeremiah COOK Sr. who came to Armstrong Co in 1769. He was married to Hannah WALTERS. He had five children: Conrad, Jeremiah Jr., George William b.1764 in Pa. d.1844 in Armstrong Pa. married Jane MAXWELL, Eve married Patrick DAUGHERTY, and Christina who married Levi GREEN. Jeremiah Sr. was an Indian trader in western Pa. I would like to find more info on any of these people, especially on Jeremiah Sr.'s father.
I am also looking for info on Hugh MCDONALD who was married to Catharine CESNEY. Catharine, who was known as Katie MCDONALD, was a midwife. This family lived in the Brick Church area of Armstrong and my gggrand mother, Lane Anne MCDONALD was their daughter. I'm happy for any tidbits of info I can get. Thanks!
- BURKETT, PORTER, SCHNEIDER posted by L. Mitchell on Tuesday, September 28, 1999
- Looking for Lester PORTER who married Eleanor SCHNEIDER 1914.Also looking for Leonard PORTER who married Nell BURKETT. All lived in Armstrong Co. in the Vandergrift area. believe Lester was a telegrapher for the railroad in the early 1900's -1930's.Any help or stories about them would be greatly appreciated.
- MANSFIELD, REAM posted by E.B. Holschuh on Wednesday, September 29, 1999
- Mary Catherine REAM m. Lewis MANSFIELD in Armstrong Co., PA, and then abt. 1870 they moved to Bigg's Settlement, Oscoda Co., MI. Can anyone shed any light on this couple and their family?
- BOWSER, COUSINS, HOOKS posted by T.W. Cousins on Thursday, September 30, 1999
- I am looking for information about the COUSINS family my grand father Frank Elwood Cousins lived in Armstrong county. He maried Sara BOWSER his second wife, she died 11/27/1918. Franks daughter Mary Irene maried Logan W HOOKS. I have no name for Franks first wife.
Return to the Query/Surname Archive Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project