- WILT posted by Don Wilt on Friday, July 3, 1998
- Armstrong County: I am looking for JACOB WILT, b. 29 Sept 1816. In the 1850 census for Hocking County, OHIO Jacob states that he was born in Pennsylvania.
- ARNOLD, DENISON, DENNISON, GOODE, HOFFMAN, SMITH, WELLS, WHITE, WYMARD posted by Connie Ruffley on Sunday, July 5, 1998
- Am researching the family of John ARNOLD & Charlotte (Denison/Dennison) ARNOLD, of Freeport, S. Buffalo twp., Armstrong co., Pa. John ARNOLD was b. ca. 28 Aug. 1808 Glasgow, Lanark (?), Scotland, d. 31 Dec. 1857, Freeport. John ARNOLD m. 6 July 1837, St. Johns Church, Manchester, England, Charlotte DENNISON, dau. of Lord James DENNISON & Lady Mary (Settle) DENNISON. Charlotte was b. Jan. 1815, Colerain, baptised 28 Jan. 1815, Bolton, Lancashire, England. Emigrated to Freeport between Jan 1840 & Aug. 1841. Their children were: Richard Arnold, b. 14 Feb. 1838, Manchester, Lancashire, England, d. bef. 1911, Freeport, unknown if married; John ARNOLD, b. 23 Dec. 1839, Manchester, d. 1857, Freeport; James Denison ARNOLD, b. 16 Aug. 1841, Freeport, d. aft. 1911, location unknown, wife died in Honolulu, Hawaii ca. 1883; Mary Catherine ARNOLD, b. 30 April 1843, Freeport, d. unknown, m. (1) Mr. GOODE, had dau. Dolley GOODE, m. (2) Mr. WHITE; infant b. 2 May 1845, d. 9 May 1845,! Freeport; Charles Neil ARNOLD, b. 16 Sep. 1847, Freeport, d. 24 Sep. 1890, Honolulu, Hawaii, m. ca. 1872, Honolulu, Cecelia Nielson Thompson; Charlotte Augusta ARNOLD, b. 4 March 1850, Freeport, d. 23 Sep. 1924, Oakmont, Allegheny co., Pa., m. Alfred SMITH - married over 50 years; Anna Jane "Annie Jean" ARNOLD, b. 29 Aug. 1852, Freeport, d. 1 March 1932, Pasadena, CA, m. ca. 1876, John Kitzmiller WYMARD, of Pittsburgh (I am their great granddaughter); Jessey Love ARNOLD, b. 1 Sep. 1855, Freeport (possibly Greensburgh, Westmoreland co. Pa.), d. unknown, m. Mr. HOFFMAN; John Edwin ARNOLD, b. 31 Dec. 1857, d. 15 July 1839, bur. Oakridge cem., Freeport, m. 23 Nov. 1882, in Freeport, Anna Frances "Fannie" WELLS - it should be noted that John Edwin ARNOLD was born on the same day his father, John ARNOLD, died - 31 Dec. 1857, Freeport. John ARNOLD had a sister, Elizabeth ARNOLD, who m. a Mr. WATSON. They had a daughter named Jessie WATSON - do not know whether Jessie WATSON was an o! nly child or whether she married. If you have any information, please contact me. Thank you. Will share all info. I have. Connie Ruffley.
- DONOUGHE, SAMPLE posted by James Sample on Sunday, July 5, 1998
- I am researching Armsxtrong Co for the surnames of Sample and Donoughe from 1750 to present.
- BONER, HARVEY posted by Kenneth Boner on Monday, July 6, 1998
- I would appreciate any info. reference the name BONER, my grandfather was John Boner a merchant tailor he was a well known citizen and merchant tailor that came from Austria at the age of 14 years old, born in Aust. April 13 1874, he arrived alone or maybe with another family. his obit states He was first in Ford City then listed in the directory for Franklin, Pa in 1900. He married Clara HARVEY and died in Franklin 3-10-32. He had 4 sons ANDREW, JOSEPH A. and HAROLD L listed in the census 1910 VENANGO County. His language was predominately Polish, however he could speak 5 languages and he was used as an translater at the Venango court house many times. I am trying to find port of entry and a passenger list as well as where he came from in Austria. Ford city may have been where he made out papers of his intention to become a citizen (Armstrong County) this may help my search. His marriage license may also help..
- MOORE, NOBLE posted by John Noble on Tuesday, July 7, 1998
- Searching for ancestors of William NOBLE and Jane MOORE of East Franklin Twp. Armstrong County William born abt 1769 died 1845 Jane born abt 1774 died 1845 Buried at Union Presbyterian Church cemetery, Cowansville, Armstrong Co..
- CORNMAN, KORNMANN posted by Janet on Wednesday, July 8, 1998
- I am searching for info on the CORNMAN/KORNMANN Family also. Anna Elizabeth Kornmann born about 1745 in Lancaster Co. and died about 1813 in Dauphin Co. She married Peter Schoffstall in Dauphln Co. and is buried in Hoffman's Cemetery in Dauphin Co. Both the Schoffstalls and the Kornmanns moved farther west into Armstrong, Clarion, and Venango Counties. I would appreciate it if you would keep me in mind if you are able to find some information..
- HOUSER posted by Jane Martin on Wednesday, July 8, 1998
- I am looking for information on Hannah Houser of Armstrong County. She was born around 1810(?). Her first husband was Daniel Clever, who died in 1836. She then married Jacob Schrecengost, Jr. in 1837. Her father was Jacob Houser, who died in 1837. Any information on Hannah and/or her ancestors would be appreciated..
- COOK, SPENCER posted by Beth Haney on Thursday, July 9, 1998
- Looking for information about the Spencer family. Josiah Spencer born 1833, Kittanning, Armstrong County. Josiah said to be the son of William Spencer and Elizabeth Cook. I've done a census search of Armstrong and see that Spencers are shown in the county as far back as 1820. Looking for other researchers who may be able to help me document relationships. Josiah moved to Adams County Ohio about 1860.
- GRAYDON, ROSBOROUGH posted by Jim Eggleston on Tuesday, July 14, 1998
- I am looking for info on Rosborough.. William Morris Rosborough and Clara Pamelia Smith Married 7 Jun 1883. I have info on the Smith side.. looking for William Morris.. his father James and mother Sara.
I am assuming that Mary Rosborough was the sister of Orlo Crandal Rosborough's father, William Morris (June 1858-Jan 1950. Mary's children were refered to as cousin's by O.C. Rosborough's children
Mary Rosborough said she was raised in the neighborhood of Kittanning (Armstrong Cty)PA.. she mentioned a "Grandmother Graydon"
I have info on Rosborough, Quereau, Smith, Brown combinations...
- GREGG posted by Jackie Gregg on Tuesday, July 14, 1998
- Looking for information on Jacob Tomer Gregg, b. 06-02-1859 in Armstrong County, Eldred Twp. Am trying to locate his parents names and any family history. Jacob married Annie Elnora Campbell on 01-29-1889 in Brookville, PA.
- BEERS, GOULD posted by Bonnie Morris on Tuesday, July 14, 1998
- Seeking the parents of Daniel GOULD b. 17 Jan 1879/1800 in Armstrong Co. PA d. 7 Oct 1884 Porter, Jefferson Co. PA m. Mary BEERS B. CA 1800 Armstrong Co. PA d. 3 May 1882. Their children were Margaret; Sarah m. Jacob HOWARD; William, Nancy; David; Lizzie. Have not been able to connect them up with the other Armstrong BEERS & GOULDS, but feel they are connected somehow. .
- MCELWAIN posted by Dave Anderson on Wednesday, July 15, 1998
- Looking for info on Francis Martin McElwain of Armstrong County, PA, son of John And Sarah Moore McElwain..
- MCFARLAND, MCLAUGHLIN posted by Jarrod VanKirk on Wednesday, July 15, 1998
- I am looking for information on James McFarland and Sarah McLaughlin. They were apparently born in Armstrong County in 1806 and 1808. I have very little other information. I descend from a daughter of theirs Emmaline (Emaline). Thanks..
- WARFIELD posted by Vickie Johnson on Friday, July 17, 1998
- we are looking for any Warfields that may have left Penn. and come to Ill. in the mid 1800's.
- BOOHER, ESHENBAUGH posted by Edie Perlick on Friday, July 17, 1998
- I am searching for any inf on Eshenbaughs and Boohers for my family tree. My father was Alfred,my mother is Rose.My grandfather was William and grandmother was Margaret Booher. Any info would be very helpful..
- BUFFINGTON posted by Michael Stewart on Sunday, July 19, 1998
- If anyone has firm information regarding the parents of William Buffington b 1830 - Justice of the peace in Redbank Twp. and cousin to Judge Joseph Buffington the elder I would be greatful. He was married to Margaret (Peggie) Fetter.
I think that his father is Jonathan Buffington Jr. b 1775 brother to Ephraim Buffington of Kittanning but the link is tentative and I have no information on Johnathan Jr.'s spouse.
- SLICK posted by Maxine Crabtree on Wednesday, July 22, 1998
- Anyone have an ancestor in their database with the given name of CHAUNCY? This is not a common name so thought I would ask. In the 1850 Franklin Twp., Armstrong County census my ancestor, Alfred L[undy] Slick was single, age 25, Tailor, and in the home of James Sample, an Innkeeper. (James Sample had a daughter by the name of Margaret who was age 11, who could have been the Margaret who married Alfred - see 1860 census below. Of course, living in a Scotch/Irish neighborhood you can expect to find many, many Margarets.
By the 1860 census he was living in Clarion Borough, Clarion County, age 39(?), Tailor. Listed with him was a Margaret Slick, age 20 (I assume she was his wife); CHAUNCY Slick, age 4, male, born Pa; Charles Slick, age 2.
In the 1870 census he was still living in Clarion Borough, but now he is living in the home of Joseph Thompson, an Innkeeper. He is also listed as a laboror and not a Tailor. Surely his wife and two children didn't all die within that 10 year period!
I do not know when or where they were married or what Margaret's maiden name was but I do know -at least 99-that there was no one in our Slick line with the given name of Chauncy.
Any information would be appreciated.
- YOUNG posted by Shirley Baker on Saturday, July 25, 1998
- Searching for William Young. William born Dec 16, 1808 in Armstrong, Pa. His parents born in New York.
- THORPE posted by Susan Brady on Saturday, July 25, 1998
- I am looking for any information on CHESTER A. THORPE. All I know is: He was married 2x, no info on first family, 2nd wife, MARY M. EDDY with two children Susan, Annette. He was a steampipe fitter by trade and moved every 3-4 months all over the USA. He was killed in an automobile accident in 1955-56 somewhere in the midwest and taken by hearse to his mom probably in PA for burial..
- PAGE, TEMPLETON posted by Mathew Page on Saturday, July 25, 1998
- Looking for information on a WILLIAM TEMPLETON of Brady's Bend, PA who married ? PAGE b 1820-30(daughter of Samuel Page of Connellsville, Fayette Co, PA)[SOURCE: "History of Fayette County, Pennsylvania" by Franklin Ellis L.H. Everts & Co., 1882,] chapter: Connellsville Borough and Township, p.399]
- GRUBER, HOFFMAN, HUFFMAN posted by Marsha Allen on Monday, July 27, 1998
- Heinrich / Henry GRUBER b. 1819 in Northampton Co, PA married Catharine HUFFMAN / HOFFMAN b. 1823 where ?. Their family was born in Red Bank Twp. Armstrong or Clarion Co, PA (it's confusing which county because some families lived on both sides and at different times, and with each county having a Red Bank Twp which are just across the river from each other.) Their children are: Johannes Franklin b. 1844 md. Sarah Jane HILLIARD; George William b. 1847; Joseph b. 1849; A. Jacob 1850; Peter J. 1852; Catherine M. 1855; Elizabeth M. 1858; Margaret 1858. I only have spouse and family for first child. The remaining are mysteries. Anyone else know of them? .
- BOHN, HANDLEY, HANEN, HOGAN, LUNDBERG, MILLS, PURDON posted by Sheryl Hogan on Monday, July 27, 1998
- Want to correspond with persons with the Hogan link. Other links to Hogan are HANDLEY, BOHN, HANEN, MILLS, PURDON, LUNDBERG, plus many others..
- KLINGENSMITH, SHEARER posted by Scott Emmel on Friday, July 31, 1998
- Does anyone out there have any information on the John Shearer family that resided in East Franklin Township, Armstrong County? He is the father of Samuel Shearer. We believe he is also the father of Andrew Shearer who lived in Butler County. We would like to verify this if possible.
We are also looking for the parents of Mary "Polly" Klingensmith and Catherine Klingensmith. Mary was the wife of Andrew Shearer and Catherine was the wife of Henry Shearer.
If anyone knows who Henry Shearer's father was, please respond..
- FREY posted by Margaret Gagliardi on Friday, July 31, 1998
- Looking for descendents of John Jacob FREY who lived in Leechburg as early as the 1870's (maybe earlier). He is buried in the Leechburg Cemetery, with a death date of 1912..
Return to the Query/Surname Archive Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project