Charles A Wolfe

line.gif

CHARLES A. WOLFE, justice of the peace and one of the live young business men of Kittanning, has been a general merchant at that place for a number of years and is well and favorably known in official circles and church life as well as in his business connections. He was born Dec. 10, 1873, at Adrian, Armstrong county, son of John E. Wolfe, a native of the same place.

The father received a common school education, was reared to farming in the vicinity of Kittanning, and ever since he commenced life on his own account has been engaged in agricultural work. He resides on a farm in Washington township, this county. He has held several township offices, being an active member of the Republican party, and he is also well known as a zealous member of the Lutheran Church, which he has served on the council for several years and also as superintendent of the Sunday school. Mr. Wolfe married Eleanor E. Lemmon, who was born in Armstrong county, across the river form Templeton, two miles south of Mahoning, daughter of Alexander and Sarah Lemmon. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe, six of whom survive, Charles A. being the eldest of these.

Charles A. Wolfe obtained a common school education in Washington township and also attended Grove City College. He then taught school in Washington township for five years before going into business life. When he gave up teaching and moved to Kittanning he went into the general mercantile business on his own account, and for seven years was located on Johnson avenue, Wickboro, engaged in that line, in 1906 erecting his present store building, at No. 1400 Orr avenue. It is 24 by 60 feet in dimensions, two stories and basement, conveniently arranged. Here he has since done a steadily increasing business, the trade in 1912 amounting to $35,000. Four people are given constant employment in the store, which is a popular trade center, and Mr. Wolfe�s success may be attributed to accommodating ways and progressive methods. He has the faculty of adapting his arrangements to suit the convenience of his patrons, who show substantial appreciation of his obliging disposition.

Mr. Wolfe is a man of broad intelligence, and has not devoted all his energies to the promotion of his private interests. When the borough was organized he was elected, in 1900, justice of the peace, on the Republican ticket, and he has continued to hold that office since. He has been twice elected member of the school board, now serving a six-year term, and at this writing is secretary of that body; was formerly treasurer of the council, in which position he served seven years; and has been judge of election for a number of years. Originally a Republican, he became a member of the Washington or Progressive party two years ago; and was one of the seven men who first "lined up" that party at Wickboro. Mr. Wolfe has been an active member of the Lutheran Church, serving as one of the board, and was formerly superintendent of the Sunday school. Fraternally he belongs to the I.O.O.F., being an active member of Cowansville Lodge, No. 750, and he is also a member of the B.P.O.Elks, at Kittanning.

In October, 1903, Mr. Wolfe married Laura McGaughey, who was born near Rural Valley, Armstrong county; both of her parents were deceased at the time of her marriage. No children have been born to this union. Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe make their home at the same premises as his store is in Wickboro.

Source: Pages 865-866, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed November 1998 by Pam Clark for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project