Frank Truxell

line.gif

FRANK TRUXELL, shoe merchant, engaged in business at Leechburg, Pa., was born in Hemphill township, Westmoreland county, Pa., Feb. 1, 1856, son of Lewis Truxell and grandson of Henry Truxell.

(1) Henry Truxell was of German parentage but possibly was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., and spent his life on his farm near Greensburg, where he died at the age of eighty-seven years. He married a member of the Hones family, and they had the following children: John, George, William, Lewis and Cyrus, sons; Catherine, who married Samuel Trout; Nancy, who married H. H. Byers; Susan, who married John Hough; Harriet, who moved to the West after marriage; and Margaret, who married Edward Stomer.

Lewis Truxell, father of Frank Truxell, was born in 1832, on his father's farm in Westmoreland county. He became a farmer and remained on the homestead until 1870, when he embarked in a general store business of Painterville, moving from there in 1872 to Scottdale, a village situated about eighteen miles southwest of Greensburg, where he continues in business and is a representative citizen. He married Margaret Beesom, daughter of Albert Beesom, and she died April 13, 1909, aged eighty-one years, and was buried at Scottdale. Lewis Truxell and wife were among the early members and organizers of the U. B. church at Scottdale. Their family consisted of five children, namely: William, who died in 1890; Frank; Isaac, who resides at Canton, Ohio; Israel, who died in August, 1905; and Marion, who resides in Scottdale, Pennsylvania.

Frank Truxell attended the township schools and later a normal school in the town of Madison, after which he accepted a position as clerk in a general store. When sixteen years old he went to work in a rolling mill at Scottdale, where he remained for several years, and then found employment at Pittsburgh until 1882, after which he was in West Virginia until 1886, when he came to Leechburg. For several years he was in business at different points, including Canal Dover and Martin's Ferry, Ohio, and finally returned to Leechburg. He was one of the organizers and a director of the Hyde Park Rolling Mill, at Hyde Park, Pa., and was connected with that plant from 1893 until 1898, when he sold his stock. In 1900 this independent mill was absorbed by the trust. For many years Mr. Truxell was known as a skilled sheet roller. In 1900 he established his present business on Market street, Leechburg, carrying the largest and most complete line of shoes in the place.

On Nov. 24, 1886, Mr. Truxell was married to Emma E. Cline, of Leechburg, and they have had five children, namely: Albert L., Lloyd H., Anna Mae, Alice Maria and Charles S., all of whom survive except Lloyd H. Mr. Truxell is a member of the Hebron Lutheran church and is secretary of the Sunday school. Politically he is a Republican. For thirty-five years he has been identified with the Knights of Pythias, and belongs also to Leechburg Lodge, No. 577, F. & A. M.

Source: Pages 579-580, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed January 1999 by Connie Mateer for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project