THOMAS E. THOMPSON, merchant tailor, and burgess of Dayton, Pa., 1913, is a
man widely and favorably known in Armstrong county. He was born in Indiana
county, Pa., June 22, 1873, and is a son of William Thompson. His paternal
grandfather lived at Apollo, Armstrong county, and was a carpenter by trade,
continuing that work until his death. His children were: Mattie, wife of
Thomas Parks; Nannie, living in Apollo; Thomas, deceased; Alexander, of
Indiana county; and William.
William Thompson, father of Thomas E., was born in Kiskiminetas township,
near Spring Church, Armstrong county. He learned the trade of tanner, and
became a well-known business man. Later in life he moved to Indiana county,
Pa., where he continued his business until two years prior to his death. His
remains are interred at the burying ground of the Glade Run Presbyterian
Church, Armstrong county, of which he and his wife were members. By his first
wife, whose maiden name was Finley, he had one daughter, Maggie (Mrs. Alcorn).
His second marriage was to Lavina Clark, daughter of Joseph Clark, and to them
were born two children: James C., of Pittsburgh, Pa.; and Thomas E.
Thomas E. Thompson was educated in the public schools of his district, and
followed farming for five years after leaving school. He then went to Dayton,
Pa., with J. T. Smith, a merchant tailor, and during the three years he
remained with him learned the tailor's trade thoroughly. For some time after
he left Mr. Smith's employ he was employed by different firms at Johnstown and
Pittsburgh, gaining in this way a very valuable and extensive experience. In
1897 Mr. Thompson returned to Dayton and embarked in business for himself,
since which time he has built up a large trade. The premises occupied by him
are in the First National Bank building, and are conveniently fitted up for
Fraternally Mr. Thompson is a past grand of Dayton Lodge, No. 738, I. O. O.
F., charter member of his encampment, and is also a charter member of the
Eagles lodge at Dayton. In politics he is a Republican, and has been very
active in the local government, serving as councilman for six years, during
which time gas was put into use in the borough. In 1909 he was elected
burgess, his term lasting until 1914, during which time many important
improvements were introduced in the borough, the most important of which was a
bond issue for the construction of a modern waterworks and filtration plant.
Mr. Thompson was made treasurer of the Dayton Normal Institute, which office
he still holds. He is as yet unmarried.
Source: Page 585, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and
Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed January 1999 by Connie Mateer for the Armstrong County Beers
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)
Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.