Joseph Templeton

line.gif

JOSEPH TEMPLETON, retired farmer, late of Rural Valley, Armstrong county, was born in Jefferson county, Pa., Nov. 14, 1832, son of James C. and Jennie (McCracken) Templeton, and grandson of John Templeton.

John Templeton came from Ireland to Plum Creek township, Armstrong Co., Pa., where he bought a farm and died upon his property at an advanced age. His children were: John, James C., Rachel and Mary.

James C. Templeton was born in Armstrong county, and was a farmer all his life. He spent about seven years in Jefferson county, but returning to Armstrong county settled on the old homestead of his father in Plum Creek township, which continued to be his home until his death, which occurred when he was a very old man. He and his wife had the following family: Isabella, Elizabeth, Jennie, Mary, Finnie (of Cowanshannock township), Joseph, John, and Margaret.

Joseph Templeton attended the local school, and was brought up on the farm. He was twenty-five years old when he located in Cowanshannock township, near Rural Valley. There he owned 120 acres of land, which he cleared to a considerable extent and developed into a valuable property. This continued to be his home until 1906, when he retired to Rural Valley, and he had the distinction of being one of the oldest residents of the place. He died March 7, 1913, aged eighty years, three months, twenty-three days, and was interred at Atwood.

Mr. Templeton married Catherine Morrow, and after her death married (second) Margaret C. Sloan, of Cowanshannock township. Mrs. Temepleton died May 9, 1898, aged seventy-one years, three months and nine days, and is buried at Atwood, Cowanshannock township. Mr. Templeton had two children born of his first marriage: Mary Jane, who married Johnston Fisher, and died leaving three children, John, Effie J., and Julia C.; and James C., a well-known merchant at Rural Valley, who married Elizabeth Stennett. (They had no children). Mr. Templeton was a Republican, and served very acceptably as a supervisor and township treasurer. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and served on the building committee which had charge of the construction of the present edifice.

Source: Pages 932-933, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Kathy Zagorac for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project