WILLIAM F. SNYDER

line.gif

 WILLIAM F. SNYDER, son of Conrad Snyder, and half-brother of John G. Snyder, a merchant of Snyderville, was born Nov. 15, 1858, at Snyderville.  He is the only living child of his father's second marriage.  Mr. Snyder attended the local schools, and remained at home, engaged in farming with his father, until he was twenty-three years old.  At this time he began learning blacksmithing at Snyderville, and followed that trade for ten years, but in 1890 embarked in his present enterprise, having bought out S. M. Lewis, who had succeeded to the business founded by his father and brother, so that the store is again operated by a Snyder. Since then Mr. Snyder has devoted his attention to his mercantile interests and the duties of postmaster (as long as the office existed), having been appointed to that office on Jan.29, 1892, when it was still known as Muff. An interesting story is told regarding the naming of the office. One cold day a lady came into the store with a muff, at a time when a discussion was being held as to an appropriate name for the proposed post office. Old Squire John Steele, seeing the lady and the muff, suggested Muff as a name, and it was sent to Washington as the people's choice.  The Department accepted the name, and so the post office was known until it was discontinued, in March, 1908, the people in this section now being served by the rural free delivery carrier from Echo.

William F. Snyder married Mary Rupp, daughter of Francis and Sarah (Bittinger) Rupp, and the following children have been born of this marriage: Harvey C., of Pittsburgh; William F., of Steubenville, Ohio; and Guy K., who is assisting his father in the store.

 For years a member of the Lutheran Church, Mr. Snyder is active in its good work.  He has served as tax collector of his township, being elected on the Democratic ticket, and he has also been township clerk and supervisor.  At present he is secretary of the local telephone line in this district, and is recognized as one of the leading business men of the township.

Source: Page 604, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J. H. Beers & Co., 1914

Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project