HARVEY N. SNYDER

line.gif

HARVEY N. SNYDER, one of the leading attorneys of Kittanning, one whose connection with matters of jurisprudence in Armstrong county has been long and honorable, was born Sept. 29, 1846, in Brady township, Butler Co., Pa. He is a son of Zephaniah and Rachel (Kennedy) Snyder, grandson of Conrad Snyder, and great-grandson of Conrad Snyder, Sr., the founder of this Snyder family in Pennsylvania.

Conrad Snyder, Sr., was born in Switzerland in 1735, and lived there until after his marriage. He fled with his wife to the Netherlands to escape conscription for service in the French army. Deciding to come to America he bargained for transportation for himself and wife by selling their time, a common custom in Colonial days, and it is believed served seven years in one of the eastern counties of Pennsylvania to pay for their passage here. Moving from Philadelphia to Bedford county, Pa., they come thence to Westmoreland county, Pa., and in 1800 accompanied by their son Conrad to Brady township, Butler Co., Pa., where Conrad Snyder, Sr., died Marcy 10, 1827, aged ninety-two years. His wife, Nancy, died July 16, 1803, and both are buried in a graveyard on the Snyder farm. They had three children: Catherine, who married Frederick Dubbs; Nancy, who married Daniel Carter, and Conrad.

Conrad Snyder, Jr., son of Conrad (Sr.) and Nancy Snyder, was born in Philadelphia county, Pa., in 1777, and came with his parents to Butler county, Pa., when twenty-three years of age. Purchasing four hundred acres now known as the Watson farm, he sold half of the tract subsequently and gave the balance to his daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth Double. After residing there some years he purchased the two hundred acres in Brady township upon which his son Conrad afterward lived and died. He was the most extensive farmer and stock breeder in that section of the country, a few years before his death owning three thousand acres of land in Brady, Franklin and Slipper Rock townships. He have each of his children two hundred acres of land, and when he died the remainder was sold and divided among them. Mr. Snyder was a celebrated trapper, and during pioneer days made considerable money by that means, which he invested carefully in stock and lands. Though a self-educated man, he could read and write both English and German fluently. In politics he was first a Whig, afterward a Republican, and was interested in the success of his party, but would never accept a public office. He was one of the pioneer members of the Muddy Creek Presbyterian Church. Mr. Snyder married Ann M. Bryan, a daughter of Seth Bryan, of Westmoreland county, Pa., and nine children were born to them: John married Elizabeth Ralston and lived and died in Brady township; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of Zephaniah Double; Mary, deceased, was the wife of Thomas Strain; Nancy, deceased, was the wife of Isaac Double; Zephaniah is mentioned below; Prudence, deceased, was the wife of John Webb; Effie J. is the widow of Hulmes Thompson; Conrad, now deceased, was a resident of Brady township, Butler county; Catherine is the widow of John Croll. The father of this family died Feb. 27, 1866, the mother Jan. 2, 1869, in her eighty-eighth year.

Zephaniah Snyder, son of Conrad and Ann M. Snyder, was born on the old homestead in Brady township Jan. 17, 1813, and grew to manhood amid scenes of pioneer days. He settled on two hundred acres of land in Brady township, and there continued to reside until his death, which occurred June 12, 1887. In 1834 he married Rachel Kennedy, daughter of John Kennedy, of Franklin township, Butler county, Pa. Mr. Snyder died in 1896, his widow surviving until 1905. Nine children were born to this union: Louisa, who died in 1892; Joseph C.; Mary E., wife of John McNees; Eleanor J., wife of Nicholas Ifft; Effie, wife of Robert Allen; Harvey N., attorney, of Kittanning; Rachel E., wife of W. B Curry; Seth, and Lorenzo B. Mr. Snyder was a Republican and took an active interest in political matters. He was a member of Muddy Creek Presbyterian Church.

Harvey N. Snyder attended public school in his native township, later going to the academy at Prospect, Butler county, Pa., and still later to Witherspoon Institute, at Butler. Following this he began the study of law under the direction of Col. John M. Thompson, and was admitted to the bar of Armstrong county subsequently, about 1873. Following his admission to the Butler county bar he was appointed deputy sheriff and served as such very acceptably for three years. At the expiration of his term of office he began the practice of his profession in Butler county, but moved to Kittanning in 1886, and since then has built up a large and lucrative practice, his services being in demand in many important cases in all the courts. His ability has received recognition at the hands of the people. He was elected - on the Republican ticket � to the office of district attorney in 1891, and reelected in 1904, serving two terms of three years each.

In 1873 Mr. Snyder married Frances E. Zeigler, of Mercer county, Pa., and they have six children: Jessie, who married George W. Daugherty; Mary Frances and Margaret, both public school teachers, of Kittanning; Homer H., who is a construction engineer; Philip, a graduate of the Kittanning Academy and of the law department of the University of Pittsburgh, now in the office of his father, having been admitted to the Armstrong county bar in 1910; and Renard Z., a civil engineer.

Source: Pages 624-625, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Lynn Beatty for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project