EDWARD W. SHOOP, a heater at the plant of the American Sheet and Tin Plate
Company, of Leechburg, was born in Allegheny (now Gilpin) township, Armstrong
county, Dec. 17, 1855, son of David and Catherine Lynch Shoop.
David Shoop was a carpenter by trade, and followed his calling in Allegheny
township. Both he and his wife died in 1856, and are buried at the Forks
Church in Gilpin township. They had two children, Frank and Edward W.
Edward W. Shoop was reared in Burrell township, there attending public
school until eighteen years old. He then spent three years in Colorado and
Indian Territory, returning to Pennsylvania in 1883. Until 1886 he was in
Pittsburgh, in that year coming to Leechburg, where he began working in the
American Sheet & Tin Plate Company. In 1893 he became a heater, and still
holds that responsible position.
On Oct. 4, 1899, Mr. Shoop married Kate Ulam Truby, daughter of the late
Capt. Henry Truby and his wife Elvina (Hill) Truby. In 1906 Mr. Shoop built
his beautiful residence, which is the family home. He is a member of the
Leechburg lodge of Elks, and the Odd Fellows, and he and his wife have long
been members of the First Lutheran Church of Leechburg. Politically he is a
Republican, and he served for six years as a member of the borough council of
Leechburg, giving his constituents faithful and honorable service.
Source: Pages(s) 711, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and
Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Neil G. Anderson for the Armstrong County Beers
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)
Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.