Edwin E Schaeffer

line.gif

EDWIN E. SCHAEFFER, now sole owner of the business conducted under the firm name of James Schaeffer & Son, of Kittanning, the leading marble and granite dealer of the borough, has been identified with that business all his active life and became associated with his father at Kittanning in 1904. He is one of the best known men in his line in this section of Pennsylvania.

Mr. Schaeffer was born Dec. 26, 1876, in Kittanning township, Armstrong Co., Pa., son of James and Catherine (Simpson) Shaeffer. At the age of thirteen years he began to learn stone cutting at Kittanning, being thus engaged for a period of four years. He then spent three years at Apollo, this county, after which he located at Verona, Allegheny county, where he remained three years. He then gave up the granite work for employment in a mill at Apollo, where he was engaged for one fall, after which he did sandstone cutting at Apollo and in the in the vicinity for one year. For the next three years he was at Blairsville, Indiana Co., Pa., in the employ of C. F. Murray, who has a large business at that point. In January, 1904, he settled at Kittanning, doing business with his father as junior member of the firm of James Schaeffer & Son until recently, when he became sole proprietor of the business, which will be continued under the old name. It has been located on Union avenue throughout this period, and the extensive plant has been developed, equipped and enlarged as the demands of the constantly increasing trade require. Everything is up to date and convenient, and there are facilities for doing the work in the most modern way, this establishment not only keeping up with the times, but being the first to adopt new methods and put new ideas into practice.

Mr. Schaeffer is well known in local fraternal circles, belonging to the B. P. O. Elks, I. O. O. F., Foresters, Independent Americans and Woodmen of the World.

Source: Pages 462-463, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J. H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 1998 by James R. Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project