Hamilton H Say

line.gif

HAMILTON H. SAY, a farmer of Perry township, Armstrong county, was born Oct. 5, 1840, in Parker township, Butler Co., Pa., son of John and Sarah (Fletcher) Say, both natives of Butler county, of English and Irish descent, respectively.

The paternal great-grandfather of Hamilton H. Say, who was born in England, became one of the first settlers at Slippery Rock Butler Co., Pa. His sister, Esther R. Say, became the wife of the Mr. Harris who founded Harrisburg. The Says devoted themselves principally during the early days to agricultural pursuits, and were largely instrumental in forwarding the development of their several communities. They helped very materially to lay the foundation for the prosperity of western Pennsylvania to-day.

John Say, the grandfather, was born at Slippery Rock, where he was reared. After reaching his majority he married Sarah Martin. Locating on a farm of 300 acres in Parker township, Butler Co., Pa., the clearing and development of this large property was his life work, and he died there. He had a family of three sons and one daughter: James, John, William and Fanny (who married Samuel Jack).

John Say, son of John Say, and father of Hamilton H. Say, was born Jan. 26, 1810, in Parker township, Butler Co., Pa., where he spent his entire life, operating 100 acres of the family homestead, left to him by his father. His death occurred in 1896, and his wife died Oct. 5, 1853. Of their family, six grew to maturity, namely: Hamilton H.; Elizabeth, deceased, wife of John Cannon; Sarah and Annie, who both died unmarried; John T.,deceased; and Perry, who resides near West Sunbury.

Benjamin Fletcher, father of Mrs. John Say, was born in Connecticut, and became a pioneer of Parker township, Butler Co., Pa. There he became prominent in several ways, building a grist and saw-mill which he operated until his death. His daughter Sarah married John Say, and they became the parents of Hamilton H. Say.

Hamilton H. Say spent a pleasant boyhood on the family homestead, where he alternated attending district school with working for his father. Thus engaged he learned farming at first hand, and has always devoted himself to agricultural pursuits. His life has been spent in Perry township since 1874, when he bought the fine farm of seventy-seven acres he now occupies and operates.

During the Civil war Mr. Say proved his patriotism by enlisting, Oct. 7, 1861, in Company C, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves, with which he served until June, 1864, when he was transferred to Company A, 190th Pennsylvania Volunteer Veterans, known as the famous Bucktails or Kane Rifles. Mr. Say was honorably discharged from the service Oct. 6, 1864, in front of Petersburg, Va. He participated in the battles of Mechanicsville and Gaines' Mills, and had the misfortune of being captured with his regiment at the later engagement, June 27, 1862. They were confined in Libby prison and the one on Belle Isle in all for forty days, when they were exchanged after a very unhappy experience. After rejoining his regiment Mr. Say was stricken down with typhoid fever, but recovered in time to participate in the battle of Gettysburg, the Wilderness campaign, and the engagements at Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, siege of Petersburg, and others. He is a member of Craig Post, No. 75, G. A. R., of which he is now commander, and belongs to Loyal Legion in Butler county, Pa.

On Dec. 15, 1864, Mr. Say was married to Margaret J. Hutcheson, daughter of David and Mary (Porter) Hutcheson, of Perry township. Seven children have been born of this marriage: Warren D.; Sarah, wife of Dr. A. J. Edmonds; Annie, John P.; Charles E.; Edwin G.; and Mabel, deceased. Mr. Say and his family belong to the First Presbyterian Church of Parker City, which Mr. Say has served as elder since 1865. He has held nearly all of the township offices, always elected on the Republican ticket, as he is a firm adherent to the principles of that party. He has served five years as justice of the peace. In every relation of life Mr. Say has shown himself to be a man of high principles, whose determination has been to live according to the religious faith he professes.

Source: Pages(s) 712-713, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by Neil G. Anderson for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project