David Reynolds

line.gif

DAVID REYNOLDS, now living retired at Ford City, Armstrong county, is a member of a family which has been known in Kittanning, this county, for may years, his grandfather, David Reynolds, having founded the hotel there which bore his name, and its modern successor, the "Hotel Reynolds", continues to be one of the well-known places of public entertainment in this region.

David Reynolds, the grandfather, was for many years engaged in the hotel business, being proprietor of the old frame hotel at Kittanning, the first "Reynolds House". He also had other interests, being a man of wealth and influence, and owned large tracts of land, farming on an extensive scale. He was a Whig in politics, and served several years as postmaster at Kittanning. He was twice married, his first wife being a Woodward, his second a Ross, and his children were as follows: Harriet, wife of John Leech, of Leechburg, Pa.; Margaret, wife of Peter Weaver, of Freeport, Pa.; Mary, wife of John Watson; Absalom Woodward; Washington; Alexander; Frank; Ross; Jane, widow of Joseph Graff, now residing at Graff station, in Manor township; Judith, wife of A. J. Dull, of Harrisburg, Pa.; and Sallie, who died unmarried.

Alexander Reynolds, son of David, was for many years engaged in the iron business, in that connection building a furnace in Armstrong county and one in Clarion county, being one of the pioneers in this industry in this section of Pennsylvania. He was a man of recognized business ability, accumulated considerable means, and retained the respect and esteem of his fellow men throughout his long and active life. He was a Whig in politics, subsequently a Republican. He was a member of the Episcopal Church, and belonged to the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Reynolds died in 1880, at the age of seventy-three years. His wife, Martha (Dennison), died about 1887, at the age of sixty-seven. They were the parents of the following children: David; Sarah D., widow of Dr. J. G. Cunningham; John D; and Ellen, who married Capt W. R. May.

David Reynolds, son of Alexander, was born Oct. 12, 1840, in Kittanning, in the old frame hotel known as the "Reynolds House," which occupied the same site as the present brick "Hotel Reynolds." He began his education in the public schools of Kittanning and for three years attended the Turtle Creek Academy, after which he entered the Sewickley Academy, where he was also a pupil for about three years. He then went to Red Bank Furnace, where he became identified with his father in the iron business, in which line they had a large and profitable patronage for many years. He was in this business for about thirty-six years in all, he and his brother John D. continuing it for several years after the death of their father. About 1888 David Reynolds withdrew and located at Ford City, which at that time was a settlement of only a few houses. The Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company, who have the largest works of the kind in the world, having established a plant at Ford City. Mr. Reynolds became watchman for that concern, continuing to hold that position about one year. In 1890 he was elected burgess of the new town of Ford City, and a little later was elected assessor, holding the former office for three years and the latter for five years. During the Roosevelt administration he was appointed postmaster at Ford City, and served as such four years, since which time he has been living retired from active pursuits. He is a highly respected citizen, having served his community well in every office to which he was chosen. He is a Mason, belonging to Blue Lodge No. 244, F. & A. M., and or Orient Chapter, No. 247, R. A M., both of Kittanning.

In 1867 Mr. Reynolds married Margaret Dietrick, and they are the parents of four children: Sarah D., deceased, wife of W. E. Noble; Harry A., who is prominently identified with the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company; David, Jr.; and Kissie, widow of Dr. W. D. Jessop, dentist (they had two children, Dorothy R. and Clair).

Source: Pages 630-631, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed September 2001 by Lynn Beatty for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project