Fritz Reitler

line.gif

FRITZ REITLER, of Ford City, Armstrong county, now engaged in the bakery business, was born in Germany in 1869, son of John Reitler.

John Reitler, who resides with his family at Ford City, was born and married in Germany and came to America with his wife and three sons, landing at New York, April 27, 1888. Mr. Reitler came to the United States as a skilled plate glass manufacturer, having learned and followed the trade in his native land. It was through inducements offered him by Captain Ford, the founder of Ford City, Pa., and the father of the glass business at this place, that Mr. Reitler left Germany and came to Ford City to engage in the glassmaking industry, beginning work in the Pittsburgh plate glass plant before the machinery was all in place. With his sons, who were also glassworkers, Mr. Reitler entered the works, and it was under his supervision that the first lot of plate glass was manufactured there. The business has so expanded that now the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Works at Ford City are reputed to be the largest in the world.

Fritz Reitler was employed in the glass works at Ford City for eleven years and then was engaged as a clerk by Mr. Scheeren, dealer in wholesale liquors. After three years he purchased Mr. Scheeren's interest and continued the business himself until recently, when he changed to his present line. Mr. Reitler is one of the city's heaviest taxpayers, owns a large amount of valuable property and is a stockholder in the Ford City National Bank. He is a man of much public spirit and notably benevolent.

In 1892 Mr. Reitler was married to Anna Snyder, daughter of Nicholas Snyder, and they have eight children, namely: Mary, Christian, John, Annie, Fritz, Jr., Flora, William and Herman. Mr. Reitler, his parents, brothers and sisters, and his own family, all belong to the Lutheran Church. Fraternally he is identified with the Elks at Kittanning, and with the Eagles at Ford City.

Source: Page 805, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by James R Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project