WILLIAM E. PAINE

line.gif

WILLIAM E. PAINE, at present serving as Justice of the Peace of Madison Township, Armstrong County, has held a number of public positions, and has been a prominent worker in that locality for the last twenty years and more. He is a member of a family which has been settled in this part of Pennsylvania from the time of his grandfather, Job P. Paine, who came West from new York State, settling in Clarion County. He did there when his son J.W. Paine, father of William E. Paine, was a small boy.

J.W. Paine received his education in the public schools at Rimersburg, Clarion County, Pa. He was a Union soldier during the Civil War, enlisting in Company E, 62nd Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, for three years, and gave faithful service to the cause. At Gettysburg he was taken prisoner, being paroled after three months' confinement at Belle Isle. In 1868 he settled on a farm of sixty acres which he still owns, and continued to reside there until his retirement in 1901. He and his wife have since made their home at Kittanning. He married Sarah M. Craig, daughter of Samuel H. Craig. Of Madison Township, a veteran of the Civil War, and ten children have been born to them, namely: William E.; George W.; Harry E., deceased; J.B.; J.L., of Elmira, N.Y.; Hannah, wife of David Holly; Elizabeth, Mrs. Walker, deceased; Emma, wife of C.M. Cochran, of Oil City, Pa.; Lillian, wife of E.H. Kunsenman, of Oregon; and Carrie, wife of Walter Richard, of Pittsburgh, Pa.

William E. Paine was born Oct. 11, 1868, at Tidal, in Madison Township, and was there reared. He was given good common school advantages, attending the Rimersburg Academy one term and after his school days were over engaged in coal mining for some time, also working at the Ford City Potter. He then began farming in Madison Township, on a tract of eight acres, and at present operates a tract of eighty-five acres, which is owned by his mother-in-law. He is one of the stockholders and directors of the Madison Telephone Company, whose exchange is located in his home.

Ever since he attained his majority, Mr. Paine has been an active political worker in his locality. He has been a member of the Republican County Committee, and has held various public offices, having served as mercantile appraiser, six years as assessor, and five years as health officer, his work in that office covering three township, Madison, Boggs and Pine. In January, 1913, he became an employee at the Senate house, Harrisburg as chief custodian, to serve two years. He has previously served as doorkeeper of the House of Representatives. Mr. Paine is also a justice of the peace of Madison Township, in which capacity he has been serving since March, 1911, having been appointed at that time and elected in 1912.

Mr. Paine was married Aug. 8, 1894, to Annie Hines, daughter of G.W. and Margaret Hines, of Madison Township, and four children have been born to them: Russell, Margaret, Howard and Helen M., the last named deceased. Mr. Paine is very well known among local associations, organizations and fraternities, belonging to the Jr. O.U.A.M. (of which he is a charter member), to the Improved Order of Red Men (at Tidal), the Daughters of Liberty, the Sons of Veterans (at New Bethlehem), the Grange (at Tidal), and the Knights of Pythias (at Templeton, Pa.). His church connections is with the Methodist Episcopal denomination, at Widnoon.

Source: Pages 369-370, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed March 2002 by Helen B. Miller for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project