Charles Miller

line.gif

CHARLES MILLER, who was for many years engaged in the gardening business at Parkers Landing, Armstrong county, now retired, was born in Bavaria, Germany, Dec. 18, 1829, son of John and Elizabeth (Sliecher) Miller.

Mr. Miller remained on his father's farm until he was eighteen years of age, in the meanwhile attending the public schools of his native place. In 1848 he came to the United States and located at Boston, Mass., where he attended school in order to learn the English language, and for two years was employed in a sugar refinery there. Mr. Miller then went to Baltimore, Md., where he secured employment in a sugar refinery and remained four years. After spending six months at Bristol, in Bucks county, Pa., he located at Trenton, N. J., and entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Amboy Railroad Company as a brakeman. Later he was employed as a blacksmith, at which work he continued until 1862. In that year he enlisted for service in the Civil war, for nine months, as a member of Company K, 28th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry, and at the end of his term was honorably discharged at Freehold, N. J. He did not escape all injury, receiving a flesh wound in his right leg at the battle of Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, 1862, which sent him to hospital. Later participated in the battle of Chancellorsville and was in other engagements.

After his honorable discharge from the army Mr. Miller resumed work as a blacksmith with the railroad company at Trenton, where he remained for one year, and then went to Brooklyn, N. Y., and for three years following, was in the hotel business. He then spent two years in Pittsburgh, as foreman in a factory, and in 1869 located at Parkers Landing, Pa., where until his retirement he engaged in gardening.

On July 16, 1856, Mr. Miller was married to Elizabeth Rosa Hafley, a daughter of Lawrence and Anna Hafley, of Wurttemberg, Germany, and six children were born to them, namely: Charles, who is now deceased; William; Gustave, deceased; Matilda, who is the. wife of Henry Lutz, of McDonald, Pa.; and two who died in infancy. In 1906 Mr. and Mrs. Miller celebrated their golden wedding anniversary, She died Feb. 24, 1913, and Mr. Miller has since resided with his daughter, Mrs. Lutz, at McDonald, Pa. Mrs. Miller was a member of the Presbyterian Church, to. which Mr. Miller also belongs. He is a member of Craig Post, No. 75, G. A. R., of Parkers Landing. Politically he is a Republican. The high esteem in which he was held by his fellow citizens at Parker was frequently shown by his election to responsible offices, in which he served faithfully and efficiently. For many years he was supervisor and school director, for fourteen years was constable, and for thirteen years tax collector, making a better record in the latter office than shown in any previous returns.

Source: Pages 761 - 762, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed February 1999 by Doris Rizza for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project