WILLIAM S. McLAUGHLIN, farmer and teamster, of Rural Valley, was born in Cowanshannock township April 25, 1874, son of James and Margaret (Gibson) McLaughlin.
Thomas McLaughlin, a native of County Down, Ireland, was one of the pioneers of Cowanshannock township, where he bought a small farm on which he did considerable clearing and improving. During the Civil war he served as a soldier, and was killed on the battlefield. His wife was Mary E. Devinney, and they were the parents of six children: James; Martha, who married Josiah Miller; John; Maggie, wife of Joseph Cravener; Mary, married to John Cuddy; and Thomas. All of this family were born in Cowanshannock township.
James McLaughlin, son of Thomas and father of William S., is a farmer and has spent all his life in Cowanshannock township. He married Margaret Gibson, daughter of Sloan Gibson, a native of Cowanshannock township, who spent nearly all his life within its confines and there died. Mr. Gibson married Belle Templeton. The following children were born to James McLaughlin and his wife: Belle, who married Edward Whitacre; Jennie, who married Reuben Hamilton; William S.; John; Laura, who married Edward Weaver; Samuel; Jeremiah; Nina, who married John Shaffer, and Harvey.
William S. McLaughlin was brought up in his native township, and there educated. He has always been a farmer, and since 1897 has also been engaged in teaming. His property comprises fifty-eight acres of good land in Cowanshannock township, on which he carries on diversified farming.
On Nov. 25, 1896, Mr. McLaughlin ws married to Martha Gourley, daughter of Andrew and Lavina (Turney) Gourley, of Rural Valley. Five children have been born to this marriage: Gourley, Sloan, John, Harry and Elmer. Mr. McLaughlin is a member of the M.E. Church. Fraternally he belongs to the Mystic Home Circle. A Republican in politics, he has served as constable of Rural Valley for eight years, street commissioner for three years, and health officer for two terms, giving his constituents able service in all of these offices.
Source: Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed January 2012 by Sara Stewart for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)
Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to the Beers Project
Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project
(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project