Charles M McLaughlin

line.gif

CHARLES M. McLAUGHLIN, M.D., a physician and surgeon of Freeport, Armstrong county, was born Sept. 28, 1878, in Westmoreland county, Pa., son of Charles S. and Adeline (Stewart) McLaughlin.

Samuel McLaughlin, his grandfather, lived and died in Westmoreland county, where he farmed successfully and also dealt extensively in stock. He moved there before the Pennsylvania railroad was constructed.

Charles S. McLaughlin had a family of three children, all sons, two of whom survive. Charles M. was the second in order of birth. The father died in 1902, after a well-spent life, during which he gained many friends. He adhered to the principles of the Democratic party, and held membership in the Presbyterian Church. By occupation he was a farmer.

Charles M. McLaughlin attended public school until he was fifteen years old, when he entered Slippery Rock State Normal School. He taught school for three winters, and took his higher literary course in the college at Grove City, Pa., from which institution he was graduated in 1901, with a degree of A.M. Having decided upon a medical career, he took a course in Jefferson Medical College, at Philadelphia, and was graduated therefrom with the degree of M.D. The following year he spent as intern at the Pittsburgh hospital, and then, in 1905, located at Freeport, where he began the practice of his profession and has built up a large and lucrative clientele. He belongs to the Armstrong County Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, and the American Medical Association. Fraternally he holds membership in the B.P.O.Elks and the Loyal Order of Moose.

On Jan. 16, 1907, Dr. McLaughlin was married, in Oakmont, Pa., to Mary M. Murray, daughter of J.E. Murray, an old soldier, now living retired. Mrs. McLaughlin was educated in the high school and at Pittsburgh Academy, and prior to her marriage was a teacher in the schools of that city. One child, Charles Samuel, was born to Dr. and Mrs. McLaughlin, April 27, 1908.

Source: Page 870, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed November 1998, by Pamela Clark for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project