McKallip Family

line.gif

McKALLIP. The McKallip family, well known in Armstrong county, Pa., can be traced back in this country to a period antedating the Revolutionary war by several years at least. Its representatives have been men of honor and responsibility, whose efforts have been directed in a public-spirited way toward securing a betterment of conditions along civic reforms.

(I) Henry McKallip, of whom but little is known except that he was of Scotch-Irish descent, in 1774 brought his wife to America.

(II) Archibald McKallip, son of Henry McKallip, was the progenitor of the family in western Pennsylvania. He was born on shipboard while his parents were crossing the ocean, in1774. He married Catherine Kipp, of Holland-Dutch descent, who was born on the present site of Gettysburg, in Adams county, Pa., in 1779, and died in1844, two years after her husband passed away. They are buried in Elder's Ridge cemetery, in Indiana county, near the Armstrong county line. Both were consistent members of the United Presbyterian Church. During his earlier life Archibald McKallip taught school in Westmoreland county, and in Armstrong county at what is now Apollo. He and his wife had the following children: Henry K. died in Leechburg; Hannah married John Goldinger; Nancy married Daniel Yetter; Polly married Jesse Couch; George W. is mentioned below; John died in Westmoreland county; Nathaniel died in the West; Mattie married George Hawk; Abraham died at Freeport, Pa.; James died at Parkers Landing. Archibald McKallip had two brothers: John, who married and had a family; and Alexander, who never married, who became the owner of about three hundred acres of land where the battle of Gettysburg was fought.

(III) George W. McKallip was born Feb. 9, 1812, in Westmoreland county, Pa., and became a large landowner and merchant. His death occurred in Gilpin township, Armstrong county, Nov. 8, 1881. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Rachel Shirley, was a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Pizer) Shirley. They had the following children: John, who was killed in the mines when fifteen years old; Jane, who married Alexander G. (Dias) Dyess, a soldier of the Civil war; Catherine, who married and resides in Gilpin township; Henry P., who married Sarah E. Wolford and died in Leechburg; Robert W.; Elizabeth, who married Mark Marvin and lives in Gilpin township; Coulter, who married Josephine Klingensmith and lives in Gilpin township.

(IV) Robert W. McKallip was born March 4, 1844, in Armstrong county. In early life he was a miner. When his country had need of his services he enlisted in Company H, 6th Heavy Artillery, for nine months during the Civil war. After receiving his honorable discharge he went to the oil country, where he was employed for a few years. On his return he resumed mining in his native county. After some time devoted to this work he went to Harrisburg, where he was sergeant of the Capitol park police. After giving faithful and efficient service in this capacity he purchased a hotel, and operated it until his death, Nov. 13, 1907. His remains are interred in Evergreen cemetery, Leechburg. He was a member of Capt. J. A. Hunter Post, No. 123, G. A. R., of Leechburg. In politics he was a Republican. Mr. McKallip married Amanda Eliza Kistler, daughter of Daniel Kistler, and she survives him, living at Bagdad, Pa. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. McKallip were: Harry W., of Leechburg; Frank K., of Bagdad; Scott, who died at the age of six years; Lottie I., who married Winchester H. Cline; Elizabeth R., at home; Mary E., who married M. I. Bigley; Charles F.; William W., of Bagdad; Laura, who died at the age of two years, and a son that died in infancy.

(V) HARRY W. McKALLIP, superintendent of the West Leechburg Steel Company's coal mines, was born at Bagdad, Pa., July 3, 1864, son of Robert W. McKallip. He attended the local school of his native place, and when only thirteen years old began to work in the mines at Bagdad. When he attained his majority he came to Leechburg and followed mining until 1897, thus gaining a practical understanding of the work, so that when he was made superintendent of the coal mines owned by the West Leechburg Steel Company he was able to discharge the duties pertaining to his position efficiently and capably.

On Dec. 25, 1884, Mr. McKallip was married to Elizabeth Reidenhauer,, daughter of John Reidenhauer, of Westmoreland county. They have children as follows: Henry P., Mabel A., Robert P., Walton B. and George W. Mr. McKallip is a Republican. Fraternally he belongs to the Royal Arcanum. Through his personal characteristics, and business efficiency, Mr. Kallip has become well known throughout his county, where his worth is recognized.

(V) CHARLES F. McKALLIP was born at Bagdad, July 27, 1877, son of Robert W. McKallip, and is now a farmer of Gilpin township, and weighmaster for the Gilpin Coal Company. Mr. McKallip attended school in Gilpin township, and commenced working in the mines at Bagdad at an early age. Until 1897 he was employed at digging coal, and was then made weighmaster, which position he still holds.

Mr. McKallip married Wilda M. Hawk, daughter of Joseph and Jane B. (Ashbaugh) Hawk. One son, William E., was born of this marriage, and died when three months old. Mr. McKallip is a Republican in politics. The Hebron Lutheran Church holds his membership, and while attending service at Leechburg he is treasurer of the Bagdad Sunday school, and has served it as superintendent for some time.

Source: Pages 802-803, Armstrong County, Pa., Her People, Past and Present, J.H. Beers & Co., 1914
Transcribed October 1998 by James R Hindman for the Armstrong County Beers Project
Contributed for use by the Armstrong County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/armstrong/)

Armstrong County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.

Return to the Beers Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project

 

Return to the Armstrong County Genealogy Project

(c) Armstrong County Genealogy Project